Katara is very sick, prayers please

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] --- Nitschke had palette surgery at around the age of two. He had about a week of rest and bland diet, but he was himself within a day or two. He really had no restrictions from what I remember other than the diet which was more for the softness of the food than anything. Prior to the surgery he was always gagging and throwing up mucus or having trouble breathing -- after, it was all gone. He did also have to have his nostrils widened and two other things within the airway were adjusted... in total 4 items in one surgery and the cost was $2500 ,, he was in the hospital for two full days (one night) as they wanted to monitor his breathing and ensure he was going to be able to eat.. they released him late at night so he would be on fluids for at least 36 hours after the procedure.

Banks INHALES her food... we tried everything and she ALWAYS got around it or it did not slow her down. When we were feeding ground raw -- we made it more like a stew - lots of water and it was not an issue. Since moving over to the Fromm, the kibble is so small she seems to have trouble goobling, so far. But, the big thing that did help was pumpkin or yogart in the food -- for whatever reasoon she does not gobble if that is mixed in.

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] thank you so much! Katara is doing much better today and is in good spirits. She is eating well and sleeping well. . I thank God for allowing my baby to continue to be in our lives!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION]...If it were me I would stick with the raw and grind it if it makes you feel safer about how Katara eats. I have felt great about how the dogs have been eating and looking since switching to raw and I bet you felt the same way with your babies.

I seem to recall you having a medical background/nursing as your job so I bet you know that people can choke on just about anything and aspirate...same with dogs.

You are a good mama and Katara is lucky to have you! Whatever you decide I can be certain that you are acting in the best interest of your babies. :)

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Yes [MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] i am a nurse and I do NICU so I know about pulmonary edema and aspiration. I am going to stick to ground raw after this; I am also looking at getting them colloidal silver as [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] is soing with Annie. I think I might have figured out what happened to Katara; a combination of things but I'll post a thread on that tomorrow! Thank you so much!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I wonder if the bone you gave her was too small and she was able to try to swallow it whole and not crunch it first? Well, I guess we will never know. You are a GREAT MOMMA! Don't worry, she sounds like she is improving quickly and you will do the very best for her, I am sure! Nothing wrong with ground IMO and it is better than kibble any day. If it were me, I would keep her on the RAW using ground. Do you get it with bone ground in? If so, no need to supplement with anything other than a good Omega source (fish oil). As far as the gulping, a sectioned bowl used with ground will probably work best. I have a gulper and I just give her HUGE whole pieces of meat and remove it when the bones are small enough for her to get into her mouth in one bite because she will try to swallow anything without chewing (she is a nut job lol).

Your baby is gorgeous! You are doing everything right so pat yourself on the back and no guilt allowed! Kiss her for us.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] I'm hoping to try the colloidal silver too! [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] is like our raw feeding guru! :)

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
@acarabias I'm hoping to try the colloidal silver too! @karenben is like our raw feeding guru! :)
honestly im no raw food guru but thankyou for the compliment,there a lots of raw feeders on this forum who know lots more than me,my dog is quite limited to what she can eat but im always willing to help out if i can,karen

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Katara, Glad you're home. You had mommy so worried. All of us were so worried too! Now you'll get back to normal and find some new adventures to get into like the food coloring incident.:laugh: Kisses for you and your brother.

0908d05d.jpg

Most Reactions