Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Katara is very sick, prayers please

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm so glad she's over the crisis and beginning the healing phase. Please don't be so hard on yourself (I'm a champion second-guesser when it comes to what I could have done better with this or that) it serves no good purpose and takes from your energy reserves. It's obvious that you've done your homework and are doing the best for your dogs from a place of love...that's all any of us can do. Sending more prayers your way.

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Katara is very sick, prayers please

It's great to read that things are improving.

Bo is a gulper; he even choked one time as a puppy - scared me to death. I soften his kibble with a hot hot water + canned food (Wellness Duck + Sweet Potato) gravy. It slows him down quite a bit and, I imagine, makes the kibble (Nature's Balance Duck / Potato) slide down easier because it's softened. I tried putting a big rock in his bowl - to test the slow feeding ball device - and he just made a mess with it. ha ha

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nigel Wentworth Sinclair & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sending prayers for a speedy recovery...she looks so precious in her pics. I'm so glad so many here have been able to help with their info. Get Well Soon Katara!

Cheerio mates!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I say go with whatever makes you feel comfortable. Just give her smaller portions of food until she is better. Whatever diet you choose for her should be what you are confident with.

I hope she is doing better today, these guys have a way of going from completely sick to a whole new dog in just a couple days. Their healing process amazes me sometimes!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Glad she is doing better!!! Not sure if the surgery is the same, Miila had en elongated pallet and did have that surgery when she got spayed. It was not expensive, they lazored it and she didnt seem bothered by it at all. Having had her cherry eye tacked and getting spayed at the same time I dont think she noticed the pallet surgery. Cant remember the actual cost for it but I think maybe $200-ish. Would have to dig up paperwork to know for sure. I know it wasnt much. Having all 3 surgeries done and meds etc the total came to under $1000 if I remember correctly. Wish I could help with the feedings. Your baby is lucky to have you!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Well glad she is doing a little better. as far as her food, you need to do what makes you comfortable. I do not feed raw, but do not think that was the problem, but do think the bones had something to do with it. I just would not feed her bones unless you grind them up. Hugs to her and hope she gets well soon.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@acarabias --- Nitschke had palette surgery at around the age of two. He had about a week of rest and bland diet, but he was himself within a day or two. He really had no restrictions from what I remember other than the diet which was more for the softness of the food than anything. Prior to the surgery he was always gagging and throwing up mucus or having trouble breathing -- after, it was all gone. He did also have to have his nostrils widened and two other things within the airway were adjusted... in total 4 items in one surgery and the cost was $2500 ,, he was in the hospital for two full days (one night) as they wanted to monitor his breathing and ensure he was going to be able to eat.. they released him late at night so he would be on fluids for at least 36 hours after the procedure.

Banks INHALES her food... we tried everything and she ALWAYS got around it or it did not slow her down. When we were feeding ground raw -- we made it more like a stew - lots of water and it was not an issue. Since moving over to the Fromm, the kibble is so small she seems to have trouble goobling, so far. But, the big thing that did help was pumpkin or yogart in the food -- for whatever reasoon she does not gobble if that is mixed in.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

How is Katara doing today? She is still in our thoughts...we are sending tons of well wishes your way!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)

@Biogirl71 thank you so much! Katara is doing much better today and is in good spirits. She is eating well and sleeping well. . I thank God for allowing my baby to continue to be in our lives!

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

@acarabias...If it were me I would stick with the raw and grind it if it makes you feel safer about how Katara eats. I have felt great about how the dogs have been eating and looking since switching to raw and I bet you felt the same way with your babies.

I seem to recall you having a medical background/nursing as your job so I bet you know that people can choke on just about anything and aspirate...same with dogs.

You are a good mama and Katara is lucky to have you! Whatever you decide I can be certain that you are acting in the best interest of your babies.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)

Yes @MamaAndi i am a nurse and I do NICU so I know about pulmonary edema and aspiration. I am going to stick to ground raw after this; I am also looking at getting them colloidal silver as @karenben is soing with Annie. I think I might have figured out what happened to Katara; a combination of things but I'll post a thread on that tomorrow! Thank you so much!

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I wonder if the bone you gave her was too small and she was able to try to swallow it whole and not crunch it first? Well, I guess we will never know. You are a GREAT MOMMA! Don't worry, she sounds like she is improving quickly and you will do the very best for her, I am sure! Nothing wrong with ground IMO and it is better than kibble any day. If it were me, I would keep her on the RAW using ground. Do you get it with bone ground in? If so, no need to supplement with anything other than a good Omega source (fish oil). As far as the gulping, a sectioned bowl used with ground will probably work best. I have a gulper and I just give her HUGE whole pieces of meat and remove it when the bones are small enough for her to get into her mouth in one bite because she will try to swallow anything without chewing (she is a nut job lol).

Your baby is gorgeous! You are doing everything right so pat yourself on the back and no guilt allowed! Kiss her for us.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Remove Ads