Aldo has a lesion on his neck. What could it be?

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
@acarabias Watson had the same thing between his shoulder blades, i took him to the vet and he said it was a staph infection. He didn't tell me to shave him. He gave him 3 weeks of antibiotics to take (Keflex) and gave me some Nolvasan (chlorhexidine) cotton balls to clean the area with. I asked him if it was food related and he said it could be. I switched him from royal canine to fromm and he is doing alot better. No new bumps but still waiting for that area to regrow some hair.

similar to aldo, Watson was not bothered by the lesions at all.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have to agree with the others....looks like a hotspot. I've only seen them a couple times on a foster dog with a flea allergy. The vet gave us some medicated powder to use and I think it ended up drying up. The dog was a frenchie (not that it matters...lol) Hope Aldo makes a speedy recovery from it!

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=3872]Loganbeere[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] thank you so much! I will be taking him for antibiotics if I see that it grows some more! I just hope I can pinpoint what caused it!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@Sherry , no it does not smell.. not at all, and it doesn't seem painful to him either.. do you think I should continue to apply ACV to it? you and @MatildasMommy seem to be big supporters..

I don't think ACV is a cure all.... but I do like to put a cap full in the water bowls daily. It has many uses and yes some articles, in fact one that I had posted make it seem like it can do anything, but I know for sure hot spots, staph and skin issues should be dried up. Pyoben is a shampoo that works super. I get it from my vet. The boys here are the only ones to ever have skin issue's like this. And that was in the middle and end of summer time. Dolly has had some hives in the summer also. Maybe you could give him some Benedryll to help dry things up. they come in dose's of 25 mg. Aldo's dose would be 25 mg to every 25 pounds of weight. Hope this helps. Keep me posted.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i used acv since i got annie at 12 weeks,but nothing seemed to work on her itching/hotspots so after more research i read that acv can make yeast worse in some dogs!!,so stopped using it ,if it suits your dog thats fine and it has many benefits even i take it ,yeast can be a bugger to get rid of ,annie is still getting hotspots and itching but no where near as bad as she was,i put colloidal silver on her hotspots now and it seems to be working ,well for now anyway lol,karen

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i get home after 2 days away and sarah has some red something inside her ear. and on her good one to that i never ever have trouble with. might be a hotspot but its not puss or anything. just a real red place. i put some neosporin on it as i didnt know what to do but it seems some better today but not much so im reading here to dry it up so i put some powder on the neosporin and see what happends. grrr. she has never ever had an ounce of trouble in this ear. i guess nothing is sacred anymore. lol

LDeLeo

Mar 5, 2011
mine all have this too, I have spent so much money trying to figure this out. I have them on a grain free diet, Nturisca, Salmon and Chickpea. I don't believe it's a food allergy, I think it's environmental. Can't figure it out. It will get worse. Mine are covered in these stupid lesions. The scab and get thick crusty ones, that peel off. I have started to bath them twice a week with vedco chlorhex shapoo 2X 4 percent. They sell it on amazon, they looked great, then I bathed them again last week and I used the shampoo I mentioned along with a vinegar rinse and they broke out, don't know if it's related, but I have started them all on a short course of prednisone to break this cycle and I think they will need an antibiotic, which I am trying not to use, but when you have itching like this secondary infections come

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Witch Hazel ( another do everything cure-all) would help to dry it up.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with all the advice... hotspot. shave it down and keep it dry -- like a few have said surgical soap to clean and the witch hazel to dry it up

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] I do use ACV in his water. I do however am thinking it was the treats or the shampoo because he has not developed any more since I stopped the treats. I am planning on buying colloidal silver and alternating weekly with the Acv. @2bulkymama and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] won't the witchhazel be too hard on it? It has alcohol and I'm afraid it will hurt :S I got this picture today. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and other with experience with this. Does it look better? It hasn't spread, looks a little better to me but it still has discharge. I washed and dried again today because the discharge had clumped surrounding areas of the cot and I thought it had spread, but once I wahed it Saw that's all it was. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] I hope Sarah's ear improves! Keep us posted!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327803555.762705.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327803555.762705.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 30

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.