brain tumor in bulldog?

mkiddo1016

Jan 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
jazmine
So my bull dog jazmine recently started acting diiferent . When we took her to the vet they said that she was blind in one eye and dint have much movement or reflex on the right side. They did bloodwork and xtrays and found nothing the vet said the only option is it has to be a tumor but in bull dogs tumors are mostly not treatable. Wondering if anyone has had experience with this or know someone that has. She is 10 years old and through her life has really only had ear infections and some skin issues other then that she has always been healthy...

thanks.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow...how horrible for you and your Jazmine. I honestly have no idea about your bully's diagnosis. We did lose a lab mix from a brain tumor. He behaved much like what you are describing, but he actually had a seizure. I don't think being a bulldog would be the overriding factor. I think the tumor and if it's inoperable would be. Again, I'm very sorry.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
That is so sad. I am so sorry. Im wondering if she is ok otherwise. I mean, is she still playing and reconising you and the family members? Is she eating and so on?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just wanted to add that age is a big factor with these tumors. Our Mac was a rescue so we never really knew his age..but we figured in the 13 to 14 age range. Now you should be so proud of yourself that your sweet Jazmine is a wonderful 10 years of age. You must be a great bully parent.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well have no experience with this, at least with dogs anyway. To me it does sound like a tumor, but not sure. Only your vet could make that call. I'm not sure at her age she could even survive the surgery at her age. We will keep you in our prayers and please keep us posted.

OP
M

mkiddo1016

Jan 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
jazmine
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. She is kinda confused right now... The vet told me today if she gets worst then it is a tumor if she doesn't get better and somewhat a little better then she may have just had a stroke. Since she is 10 and a bully I had to make a decision on the MRI or not they out them down for that and as most bully owners know their breathing is not the best so I'm afraid she may not wake up from it. She is not in any pain I think she is just adopting to not being able to see out of the one eye.

Keep you post!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
When my Mac first had his seizure, they also thought it was a stroke. We actually nursed him back so he could walk and was almost normal for about 5 months. Then he had a very severe relapse and it was then he was diagnosed with the tumor. We were so thankful for those last few months with him. I wish you well.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. I would be struggling on making a decision as well if an MRI is a good idea. 10 is a very good age for a bully. You sound like a wonderful bully parent.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh my I'm a sorry to see this thread. We just put a Boston down with a suspected tumor. I will pray for a good outcome for this. Yes 10 is a very good age for a bullie. I am not sure about an Mri that's a hard decision to make. I'm not sure I would do it. Will be checking this for updates

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience or knowledge, but I wish you and Jazmine all the best -- you've been a great bully parent to her

OP
M

mkiddo1016

Jan 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
jazmine
So within the last few days she seems to becoming more confused and dazed. I'm am traveling on business but able to FaceTime with my family so I can see her and talk to her. She is getting up walking into corners and just standing there. She doesn't seem to be in pain but seems like she gets up to do something then forgets half way there. She still recognizes her name when called and comes to you. I'm heading home tonight so I am hoping it doesn't seem as bad as I am hearing.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
That's so sad. It must be painful to watch. I'm assuming she's eating and drinking normally? As long as she is safely contained in her environment it should be alright. I guess all you can do is keep her comfortable for now. Hugs for you.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I haven't had experience with brain tumors but I have experience with aging Bulldogs. I wouldn't have the MRI. 10 is a long life for a Bulldog. Once they start to go downhill they go fast. Keep her comfortable and give her lots of love. I wish you well!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I haven't had experience with brain tumors but I have experience with aging Bulldogs. I wouldn't have the MRI. 10 is a long life for a Bulldog. Once they start to go downhill they go fast. Keep her comfortable and give her lots of love. I wish you well!

I sadly agree with Alice. Knowing when it's time to keep them comfortable and pain free is the hardest thing to find. An MRI would only confirm a diagnosis...not find a cure. Love her for us too....peace.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my checked this thread again and am sorry to see its not better its worse. yes others have given you good advice and i will pray for you and your bully.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.