Lady Parts on Puppy in Heat

LeslieLain

Sep 12, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Marcy May
Hello all,

My 7 month old puppy has gone into heat and she is miserable. Her "Lady Parts" (as people on these forums like to call them:) )
are very swollen and uncomfortable to her. I have been using unscented gentle baby wipes to help her stay clean and just now she woke whining so I used the never fail "anti-itch" cream and she has gone back to blissful snorefest.

My question is does anybody have ANY tips at all that might make her more comfortabe? We are only one week into this heat but it has been a disaster on many levels. I hope someone can at least share some info that would help her little wrinkled and homebound butt more comfortable.

Feel free to send a personal message if you wish. Thank You (!) for any help.:begging:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor little thing. I wish I could help, but I've only had males. I'm always miserable when my boy is not feeling well. I'm sure that someone comes along with good tips.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My BabyGirl gets miserable too but she's never whined about it. She has never whined in pain. I just keep her extra clean and give her space and keep the boys away. She did bleed quite heavily the first time but all other heats have been pretty minimal. Poor girl, hope it's just the first time that she feels this way. I'm sure others will chime in soon and give you advice.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Mable's heat cycles were not eventful at all. She may have been a bit bloated - but the effects on her and the resulting mess - was very minimal. The only way I knew was that her blanket was a bit spotty.

Maybe a doggie Tylenol might help? What is a doggie Tylenol anyway? Aspirin? I have no idea.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Mochas first and Last heat cycle was horrid!!!! She became so ill with a UTI and was put on IVfor 2 days. My advice to you is if her vajayjay is too swollen , take her to the vet. If she looks in pain and she is shaking she must have a fever. Take her just to make sure she hasnt developed an infection. When she is ready( after this cycle is over) get your baby SPAYED. The best thing you can do for her. The best gift you can give her.

Make sure you continue to keep her private part clean.

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Mochas first and Last heat cycle was horrid!!!! She became so ill with a UTI and was put on IVfor 2 days. My advice to you is if her vajayjay is too swollen , take her to the vet. If she looks in pain and she is shaking she must have a fever. Take her just to make sure she hasnt developed an infection. When she is ready( after this cycle is over) get your baby SPAYED. The best thing you can do for her. The best gift you can give her.

Make sure you continue to keep her private part clean.

This is fantastic advice. If she is really ill, have her see her vet. And if she is not a fantastic example of a Bulldog who is not going to do something positive for the breed and has not had all her health clearances, the best thing for the both of you is to have her spayed when her heat is done.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
annies heats dont bother her ,she just trots around the kitchen going with the flow excuse the pun lol,i only clean her the odd time as i prefer to leave her alone,and she bleeds very little though gets really swollen lol,karen

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well you have some good advice above and for sure have her spayed, but wait about a month or two after her heat cycle. Plus DO NOT give her Tylenol, it is toxic to dogs.

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Sumo's bleeding lasted 2 and half weeks! She seems totally normal but it was such a mess, and her lady bits were VERY swollen. Everything has pretty much gone back to normal now. I'm hoping to have her spayed as soon as possible. My vet told me to wait 3 months

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Dolly has always gotten very swollen also. I kept her bottom clean with a "cool", not cold, wet wash cloth, and then tenderly dry her. I kept a doggy diaper with a pad on her. She would get heavy flow around week two and her cycle would last almost 3-1/2 weeks. I think having a male around keeps them in heat longer. Just my thought. I didn't like the baby wipes much for cleaning up in that area because of any alcohol and other mystery chemicals . Just me. Even raising my skin baby's, I always used fresh clean water and a wash clothe. We never had diaper rash problem either. Hope some of this helps.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
They do get swollen ... and keeping it clean for them is a huge help as they obviously can't reach down there!!! My main concern would be the whining .. I would see if she is in any pain and if your gut tells you that something is just not right then get her to the vets as soon as you can. I'm just wondering about a UTI too as somebody else put.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online