Bre's Diagnosis

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So I took Miss Bre to the vet this afternoon to find out what is with the mass/swelling on her lower pallete/teeth area. The vet said she has epulis which is basically a tumor of the gums. He said it is benign and can be removed. The removal process involves her being sedated and then remove the tumor and cauterize the area.

At this point we are going to observe it and see if it grows or if it has stopped. I am going to get in touch with her previous owner to find out if it has always looked like that or if it had already grown while they had her. From what I have read the tumors can really interfere with the dogs day to day life if it is the kind that grows bigger. So now we monitor it and if it starts to grow then she will have to have surgery. Poor old gal.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTItMjAxMjAxMjMtMTUzOC5qcGc.jpg

Bre in the car after the vet...bored silly

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
:hug:Poor Bre!! But thank God its not a malignat tumor. I think its a good idea to talk to the previous owner and see what they say.

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
I am glad you went and had it looked at. I am actually a dental hygienist and I see them a lot in the dental field. A lot of people that have dentures get them over time and what we recommend is that they are watched and if they begin to interfere with denture wear or become painful to have them removed.

Talking with the previous owner will definitely determine how long it has been there and then let you know if you need to watch this for a month or two and then have it removed if needed. Keep an eye on it and note any significant color changes or if it seems to be sensitive to her.

She is lucky to have you!

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I e-mailed her previous owner and she got right back to me...she said in the 3 years they had her there had been no change in size...it's always been that size. I hope she's right!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We will keep our fingers crossed it does not get any bigger.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Awwwww poor Bre, she looks so sad there. That was good the previous owner got back to you and that it appears it hopefully will stay that size and not grow. She's lucky your're her mama. :luv:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is a positive sign they got back to you right away..... Hopefully it stays that way. Too bad they did not tell you about it, so glad you discovered it yourself!!! You are a good bully paw-rent!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh my here I was gabbing away to you yesterday n I didn't even see this thread. I will of course send many positive vibes your way.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awww....! Sweet faced Bre. She's adorable. Grateful it's not cause for immediate alarm - and surgery and meds etc. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Ugh.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I love that picture of Miss Bre in the car. She's got such a sweet face. Sending hugs and kisses.

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thanks for all the well wishes everybody! Bre looks sad all the time lol. I think she got a little overstimulated at the vet because there was a couple there hauling in their 8 black lab puppies for shots and checkups...yeesh. :blink: Bre reeeally wanted to go see them but I made her sit with me and wait.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so glad it is benign.... hopefully it is done growing and you'll be able to get it removed and it is done and over

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.