Being proactive with CHD

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Hi all,

So I searched and read all the posts regarding hip dysplasia, including one fantastic article! :)

After much talk with the hubby, and some chats with our vet, we have decided to have Guinness' hips x-rayed to see if they are dysplastic. Both of her parents tested clear, but we all know that is not a guarantee. In the end we feel it is something we want to know about ahead of time so we can anticipate it, take all of the precautions, and be as proactive as possible. She is obviously young at 13 months, and shows no signs.

Has anyone else tested for CHD to be proactive? What preventative measures did you take if you found out your dog had CHD?

I am taking her for her x-rays tomorrow morning.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
My vet likes to take x-rays of hips when he spays or nueters any dog. Just for that reason. Luckily, my bullie, Schultz's hips are a-ok. However, my Weimaraner didn't get that good news. She was diagnosed as hip dyplasic (sp?) at the tender age of 6 months. So off we went to an orthopedic vet to have a more thorough evaluation. He explained how he could break her hips and pin them back together with metal plates and screws and then she would have to heal in a crate for at least 6 months.....gasp! I asked him if she were his dog what would he do and I got a much different answer. Exercise her regularly (nice long walks to keep her muscles strong, keep her a little under weight, feed her the highest quality food, and start her and keep her on glucosamine and chondroitan supplements. That's what I decided to do and she's going to be 8 in a couple of weeks and she doesn't (and never did) display any symptoms of a hip problem. All we can do is make informed choices for these beings we care for...

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
My vet likes to take x-rays of hips when he spays or nueters any dog. Just for that reason. Luckily, my bullie, Schultz's hips are a-ok. However, my Weimaraner didn't get that good news. She was diagnosed as hip dyplasic (sp?) at the tender age of 6 months. So off we went to an orthopedic vet to have a more thorough evaluation. He explained how he could break her hips and pin them back together with metal plates and screws and then she would have to heal in a crate for at least 6 months.....gasp! I asked him if she were his dog what would he do and I got a much different answer. Exercise her regularly (nice long walks to keep her muscles strong, keep her a little under weight, feed her the highest quality food, and start her and keep her on glucosamine and chondroitan supplements. That's what I decided to do and she's going to be 8 in a couple of weeks and she doesn't (and never did) display any symptoms of a hip problem. All we can do is make informed choices for these beings we care for...

Good advice!

OP
I

ImAGuinneyPig

[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] - Thanks :) We also had wanted to get the hips done when she was spayed, but our Trupanion hadn't fully kicked in yet. So if they had come back with negative results, nothing would be covered going forward.
Crossing out fingers for good news! Thanks for your input!

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Good luck, I hope you get good news....but even with our "diagnosis" my girl apparently didn't read the memo b/c she's in awesome shape... Our joke is she's almost 8 but never acts a day over 2....

OP
I

ImAGuinneyPig

Just an update. She has CHD, luckily not too severe though. We are getting her on the supplements right away and she needs to drop 3 pounds. Hopefully she will never know she has it!

P.S. I included her x-ray

Guinness Hip Xray.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.