Change in food causing diarrhea

Hesham Alsaad

Jan 15, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cognac
I have an english bulldog who is almost 5 months. She used to eat royal canin when i got her from the breeder but i decided to change it to orijen when she was 3 months old. It didn't work out due to the high proteins in Orijen so i switched it back to royal canine again. I mean obviously i did the change in food slowly but she was too young for orijen. Anyway, i decided to go back to orijen since its better food, however, the royal canine was done, so i had to give her the whole thing from the old orijen bag that i have, i tried mixing small portion of orijen with white rice, and some pure canned pumpkinpumpkin, she acted fine for three days, but she had a mini diarrhea today and I've been noticing its getting softer each day. So what am i supposed to do now? Shall i buy something new with less proteins for example Acana? or just keep the orijen and try mixing it with some carbs?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 100

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
hmmm.... I think I have heard that orijen has caused loose :poo: but could be wrong. Maybe go with bland diet mixed with the food? Their tummies are so sensitive that some need a VERY slow switch. I usually want to jump into the new food right away making the switch never ending, like a month or so. Pain for me but better for the pups in the long run.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It could be from the quick switch, but also could be the protein. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can provide better insight.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok well could be to much protein in orijen and the quick switch. also you would not feed near as much orijen as you did the rc as the rc is lower protein and calories and such. along with what you are doing i would cut back on how much orijen you are feeding. this is a great food and it just maybe to much to quick. let us know whats going on in a few days. if its just soft stools it may staighen itelf out over time if it gets to just plain diarrhea then id go the bland diet then think about acana which is a much lower protein food. let me know if i can be of help further. i hope things get better.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My bully had loose :poo: for most of his puppyhood. Changing to different kibble didn't do the trick. The protein in most off kibbles is not from animal source anyway and all the carbs usually just make the stomach just sort of ferment. When Usko was about seven months old we switched to raw and I'd never go back to kibble. And Usko would probably run away from home too. So this is a raw feeder talking who thinks most of allergies, indigestion, runny stools etc. is cured with proper natural food.
Everybody makes their one choice for their dogs. Some say that when you change brand of kibble you need to give at least a month to know if it's good for your dog. Other wise you could just end up switching from one to another and really upset his/hers stomach.

OP
H

Hesham Alsaad

Jan 15, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Cognac
@cowsmom,
If Orijen isn't right for her, how can i make the change to another food without going to royal canin again? Since i only switched her to orijen 3 days ago, and now i don't have royal canin anymore? shall i buy her new food like Acana and mix a bit with a bland diet for a couple of days before switching to Acana completely?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i would give it some time to see first. unless she is having like diarrhea or other allergy symptoms it can take several weeks to see a difference especially since you were not able to do a very slow switch. then if its still not good then you can just do the slow switch to acana or whatever else you want to feed. from what im understanding its just some soft poo and nothing else so no need for bland diet unless she is having very bad symptoms on the orijen. some dogs just cant handle orijen with the high protein. keep us posted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.