Brooklyn's eye

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
So last night she was acting really sleepy, then when she got up this morning something is wrong with her right eye. I'm not sure if she bumped or scratched it while playing or something or if it is an infection. The inside skin around her eye is red and swollen, she is only opening it all the way when she looks up, and she doesn't like it to be touched, so I'm assuming it is bothering her. It isn't oozing or anything so I'm really not sure. Of course this happens on a Saturday, so Tuesday afternoon is the soonest I could get her to the vet. Any suggestions?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like it could be scratched , possibly ulcerated. You will need to try to keep her comfortable until you can get her to the vet, get some lubricating eye gel (for humans). If she stops eating or gets a temp you should probably take her to the ER. If it is an ulcer you may also be referred to an opthomologist. Be prepared financially.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with @desertskybulldogs ... keep it lubricated till you can get to the vet, but if it gets worse - bite the bullet and go to the emergency vet near you

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
I'm stuck at work until 5. I'm going to pick up some drops on the way home. If it looks any worse I'll definitely take her to the er vet tonight. I sent them an email describing it and asking for advice as well. So we'll see. :begging:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Duke has had major issues with his eyes in the past.. one time he got a piece of fuzz in it ( we found this out after taking to the ER vet ) it was causing him to squint.. another time we took him to the ER vet he had an ulcer.. they put a contact lens type shield in the eye and he had instant relief. as the others said most important thing is to keep it wet with saline drops.. keep us posted!! Good Luck to both of you :luv:

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
I heard back from the vet and will be taking her in as soon as I'm out of work. It's $117 for the emergency office visit, not including any meds she may need. YIKES! But definitely necessary for peace of mind, even if it's nothing big.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I heard back from the vet and will be taking her in as soon as I'm out of work. It's $117 for the emergency office visit, not including any meds she may need. YIKES! But definitely necessary for peace of mind, even if it's nothing big.

I'd be doing the same thing,.. keep us posted

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor baby girl, hope the vet can find what's wrong so she can get some relief. Please keep us posted.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Just got home from work and her eye actually looks A LOT better. The swelling is almost gone but it does have some discharge now. I'm thinking it's pink eye or something along those lines. I'm still taking her in at 6:30 to get it checked out. I'll update again after.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
So. Doesn't seem to be an infection since it's only in one eye. They put stain in to see if there was a scratch, but there was nothing, no scratch or foreign debris. Then they did an eye pressure check to rule out glaucoma. Both eyes were in the normal pressure range but the affected eye was on the very low side and the non affected eye was on the higher side. So that means no glaucoma but some other irritation affecting the pressure. So there is no for sure diagnosis, she thinks it was injured but not a deep enough scratch to show with the stain or a scratch in a place she couldn't see. She gave us steroid/antibiotic drops to reduce any swelling and prevent any secondary infection. Should be all gone within a week. :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.