Bad reaction to witch hazel?

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Hi all! I have been cleaning my pups wrinkles and tear stains with witch hazel every day for about 5 days. I've also tried just hydrogen peroxide to clean the stains and they had seem to be doing better. However, when i came home from work yesterday my bullies face was red and i noticed that he had scratched himself raw near his eye. It wasn't a big area, but still raw! I also noticed around his nose rope area was red near the corners and crusty. Before bed, i put neosporin on those area and now they are dried up and seem to scabbing. What could have caused him to be so itchy? The witch hazel? Thanks!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
poor little guy.. it could be a number of things? the witch hazel will dry it out.. Maybe put a little desitin on it to help it heal? it could be yeast build up, alergies or he may have just scratched because it was dry ?? just keep your eye on it..

we only use baby wipes ( non scented with aloe) to clean and then dry with a soft tissue..

but I know others do use the witch hazel..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Anything is possible! He could've had a reaction to just too much cleaning! I don't do Jake everyday. I guess it could've gotten too dry. Just use the neosporin for a few days and go slowly with witch hazel until you know. I just use a small amount when I use it. Poor baby! I hope he feels better soon!

OP
nmejia024

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Thanks guys..I think i will slow down with the cleaning. He is such a cutie so when i saw him yesterday i was so sad to see his cute face like that:( How easy it would be if he could just tell what's wrong haha.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks guys..I think i will slow down with the cleaning. He is such a cutie so when i saw him yesterday i was so sad to see his cute face like that:( How easy it would be if he could just tell what's wrong haha.

He is awesome! Sometimes we all try too hard! We just want the best! I do Jake a few time a week. I do wash his chin (messy eater) every day..but just use a clean warm wash cloth. If it looks red or irritated, I use a Maloket wipe and just dab with it. I use a Qtip with Witch Hazel to clean his nose rope a couple times a week...and that's not much witch hazel! Just let him be a couple days...see if it looks less red. Also a tiny dab of desitin will help irritation...but less is more! could also be a reaction to combination of peroxide and other stuff. :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said, I use witch hazel, but only use it a few times a week... I use unscented baby wipes the others days.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Hope he is doing better. I am afraid to mix too much stuff to clean unless absolutely necessary. I wipe her face and girly bits every day with a warm wash cloth and then dry her up. Good luck. Hope the irritation clears up soon.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It's so hard to find what might cause something like that.

For example: I have discovered I am allergic to aloe.....now try finding a cream or lotion these days that doesn't contain aloe! I can tell you it's not easy. Since I work in an office in a Nursing Home we have sanitizing wipes everywhere. I have found to use them I need to wear gloves. They contain aloe, or something else I'm allergic to, in a strength that simply touching the damp surface that has been wiped with them can cause the skin on my finger tips to burn, then get dry and peel away. So I have to be very careful that I don't touch anything too soon if they have been used.

My point is, this may be the witch hazel or it could be something else you are using. You will need to use the process of elimination to figure it out.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would slow up the witch hazel to just maybe a few times a week. maybe use baby wipe or peroxide on days you dont use it. also maybe use some desitin after it could just be getting to dry and itching. i hope things are better now.

Members online

No members online now.