Bubba just started having head tremors

Jreed82

Jan 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Hi, Bubba will be two in April. Yesterday he started having head tremors that made him look like a bobblehead...he could provife He was completely alert during these episodes and after acted as though nothing hppened. I upped some video footage to YouTube to show the vet but he could not provide any insight. I did research and it appears to be idiopathic head tremors and not seizures. I am posting links to the videos in hopes that someone has heard or had experience with this... Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhNqCe-2vnk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG5uQJrwHoA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATFovCtdFgQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psM20Q2ufYo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3x9BAbaZFA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB3JWS9Bafk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, very common in bulldogs and some other breeds. as long as your baby is alert -- he is fine, no pain or after effects. Give him a treat of any type during the tremor as it distracts the muscles and the tremor stops. It is scary, but harmless.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
There's a few bulldogs here that have experienced it and said that giving them a treat like peanut butter will help stop it. Can't remember exactly, but I believe it has to do something with their blood sugar.

Oh and welcome to the thread! Bubba's quite a looker! :yes:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Welcome to EBN! I can see Bubba is very loved. Like everyone said, give him a treat and see if it redirects his brain processes. Glad you're here!

ea14c9e4.jpg

OP
J

Jreed82

Jan 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
Thank you all for confirming and welcoming me to the forum... I am actually at work hence why it took so long to respond... It definitely was scary but I am glad I researched it because the vet wanted to treat it like seizures and I would have been looking at about 6 grand for them to tell me nothing

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's very scary indeed. I haven't personally experienced it with Wilson, and I hope I never do, but it's nice to see your Bubba and posts like this to know that if something ever happens like this I'll know what to do and that's if they're alerts, all's good. Bubba's a good looking boy. How often does he have them and how long have they been lasting? I'm just curious for my own knowledge.

Does anyone know what causes them?

:welcome: to EBN too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Does anyone know what causes them?

Some believe it is low blood sugar, some to do with the weight of the head, and others dehydration.... guess they really are not sure, but all agree they are harmless. I have an article, i will try to find and post

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Some believe it is low blood sugar, some to do with the weight of the head, and others dehydration.... guess they really are not sure, but all agree they are harmless. I have an article, i will try to find and post
Thanks Christine. I'd like to read that if you can find it. Tag me please.

OP
J

Jreed82

Jan 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubba
He just started yesterday morning and they have been lasting any where from 1min to as long as 10 mins

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
He just started yesterday morning and they have been lasting any where from 1min to as long as 10 mins

Wow, 10 mins, hopefully members who've experienced them with their bullies will share their insight. I don't think Bubba is having seizures. Seizure shakes are more violent and he wouldn't be responding to any distractions.

Here's a thread about one of our fave bullies here, VegasR, having a seizure @Libra926 . You'll be able to find a few more if you do a search.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ure-can-disturbing-so-please-use-caution.html

Last edited:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=4097]Jreed82[/MENTION] , yes , it happens around the age of 2. Mocha had her first tremor when she was 10 or 11 months old:*(. She doesnt get them often(thank God) and they do not last a long time. She is completlly alert and I usually snap her out of them by offering her a drink in a cup (you may also offer a treat) I offer her milk(not a lot of it just enough to get her attention) Dont worry, he will be ok

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=4097]Jreed82[/MENTION]
First thing on your list of things to do is find a bulldog vet. They would know right off the bat that these are head tremors and that they are very common. You did an awesome job with providing videos...and I'm just flabbergasted that the vet had NO insight.
In my experience..since Vegas has both seizures and head tremors, tremors usually can be caused by excitement ([MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] Maggie had tremors over carrots) ([MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] Vegasb has tremors over someone touching his stinky monkey) OR it can be low blood sugar related. These guys have fast digestive systems, which can cause an imbalance of glucose levels in the blood. Plain yogurt is another treat to help raise the levels.
In the case of VegasB...you just have to leave his stinky monkey alone. No Touchy touchy.
There are different triggers for the head tremors....some of us have found those triggers and some of us have not.

Good luck with your pup. And please, consider finding a more experienced vet...one who knows about the bulldog breed.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION], thank goodness that was the only head tremour Vegas had over Joe playing keep away with Stinkey Monkey. Monkey is DEFINITELY a NO touchy-touchy!!!! When My son brings his dogs over I put Monkey in the bedroom and shut the door just to insure he is not taken or played with by the other dogs.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online