Proper cleaning of dog toys

GraciesMomma

Jan 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Lou
So I have a puppy and she has been dragging her toys into her pad with her mess. I want to sanitize them to ensure she doesn't get sick or the smell or urine doesn't stay. Would it be wise I dip her toys in hot water and bleach and let them air dry? Will that harm her? I'm in need of advice, thanks. 😓

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i personally wouldnt use bleach,i just soak them in boiling hot water,mind you no soft toy lasts more than 5 minutes with my dog,the only toy that lasts is a kong ,karen

Hidapriscila

Feb 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Humphrey
Soak them in hot water with bleach theN rinse and wash them in soapy dish detergent. I'd say 1/4 cup for 1/2 a bucket of hot water. Soak enough to loosen any grime and scrub with paper towels or a brush.

Same thing with the crates, kill the germs with the bleach, rinse profusely then kill the smell with Dawn.

Priscilla

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bleach and hot water

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'd throw them in the clothes washer - for soft toys - hot wash and bleach and dry in the dryer

Other toys I run thru the dishwasher on the hottest cycle

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I just run them under very hot water. Then put some Baking soda on them and let them sit for awhile, then rinse off with hot water again. Stuffies don't last long enough around here to actually clean them....they're usually ripped open in 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
a little spit and rub on my jeans....:lol:

but honestly, I just take the toy outside and rinse it with the garden hose..
I havent had any issues.... yet...
What could happen.? I mean, he's just chewing on his own dried slobber.....

Unless of course, he has an accident in his crate and his toy gets soaked ... In that case I would soak them in a bucket of hot water and soap for a long time and then rinse thouroughly...

but as @karenben and @JAKEISGREAT mentioned, toys only last a few minutes....
So his only chew toys are Kongs and rubber chew toys made by KONG..... They're very easy to keep clean too.

Last edited:
OP
GraciesMomma

GraciesMomma

Jan 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Lou
Thank you everyone! She's still teething so the softies are still intact (for now) haha 😜

The rubber toys I was worried about because she likes making a mess on them sometimes.
I appreciate all the great feedback! ☺

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.