Dry Crumbly Poop?

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
The past couple days when Bruin & Lilly poop, the poop just crumbles on impact with the ground. Like the outside is "moist" but the inside is so dry, as if it was sitting outside in the cold temp overnight. Has anyone experienced this? I put it in the yahoo search engine and it came up with someone saying that sounds like poop from a dog with a raw diet. Which they don't eat raw. They eat NVI LID Lamb :confused:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Have they been chewing bones? That happens when in raw feeding there's too much bones in the food.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Have they been chewing bones? That happens when in raw feeding there's too much bones in the food.

They've been chewing on their antlers....could that be it? Is it a bad thing? Should I take away their antlers?:*(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm not sure, but I thought I heard some time ago that NVI had clay in their food to help make solid poop. Maybe someone can refresh my memory. If so that would explain it. Maybe [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] can help us with the food question.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
There was a discussion about it. I believe it started when Piamitch was having troubles with his bully but it turned out he swallowed his daughter's bra. I remember when I was researching food last year that I came across NVI and I choose to stay away from it solely because it had clay listed as an ingredient. While other may like the food, it was my personal choice....clay just didn't make sense to me at all.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes it does have clay in it. im not sure a deer antler would do this as there not really eating it just chewing. sounds like they need some more water in their diet. is there anyway you can give some more water. ice cubes, canned food, cottage cheese, yogurt. keep us posted.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I thought NVI is a 6 star food here. Is that one of those questionable ingredients like tomato pumace, where people are on the fence about it?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=322]AshleyWoodman[/MENTION] the name of it is montmorillonite clay it has a bunch of minerals in it that are supposed to be good for your dog. natures logic has it also. the following is from another forum

Natures Logic and Natures Variety are two that I can think of off hand. There are a few others. There is also a supplement sold as "Red Desert Clay" that they sell as a health food kind of thing for animals and people. They say it will heal everything and more!:

RED DESERT™ "LIVING CLAY"–

100% Natural
Safe, Effective, Natural
Powerful Detoxifier
Cleanses the Digestive Tract

whether horse, fish, dog, cat, bird or reptile

* Quickly relieves diarrhea in 90% of all cases
* Detoxifies and Cleanses the digestive tract
* Safely, naturally remove toxins out of the body
* Strengthens Bones and Joints with absorbable calcium
* Aids Digestion and Metabolism
* Strengthens Immune System
* Increases Energy and Strength
* Healthier Teeth and Gums
* Improves overall Health
* Excellent Source of Essential Macro, Micro and Trace Minerals

Last edited:
OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
yes it does have clay in it. im not sure a deer antler would do this as there not really eating it just chewing. sounds like they need some more water in their diet. is there anyway you can give some more water. ice cubes, canned food, cottage cheese, yogurt. keep us posted.

Whenever we grab ice cubes for our water, they come running and we give them some, plus their usual water consumption (which they have all day and night) and I put chobani plain yogurt in their dry food in the morning. The antler is about 3" gone since Christmas and thats with both of them chewing on it (they take turns even though there's another whole antler readily available for either of them).:unsure:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
there is debate about its use in dog food. gives some dogs super hard stools. others it doesnt bother. we have users here that have been using nvi for a while and love it while others have not had success.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I found this to be a benefit when I tried these foods, but you can add some moisture to the food if your bully is straining to go poo. If not straining I dont think you should be concerned :)

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I just took Bruin out and he had diarhea like stool.....soooo I don't know. They never really strain, but sometimes the effort they put in doesn't really seem worth the little nuggets they poop out :lol:

::Sigh:: Bullies

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well maybe some canned pumpkin for a couple days may help straighten him out. Sarah had very small hard stools on this food. i dont remember them being crumbly but all dogs are different. sometimes things just get funky and will straighten out.

Last edited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i wouldnt worry if they are not constipated,its best if a dog has a little bit of a strain whilst pooping as it tends to clear the glands out at the same time,do you feed eggs with shells as that would make poops more solid,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online