Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dry Crumbly Poop?

I just took Bruin out and he had diarhea like stool.....soooo I don't know. They never really strain, but sometimes the effort they put in doesn't really seem worth the little nuggets they poop out

::Sigh:: Bullies

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

well maybe some canned pumpkin for a couple days may help straighten him out. Sarah had very small hard stools on this food. i dont remember them being crumbly but all dogs are different. sometimes things just get funky and will straighten out.
    Last edited by cowsmom; 01-14-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

i wouldnt worry if they are not constipated,its best if a dog has a little bit of a strain whilst pooping as it tends to clear the glands out at the same time,do you feed eggs with shells as that would make poops more solid,karen

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

I feed raw to my bully and his stools are less than half the size they use to be with kibble. This is a good thing. It means that the food is well absorbed in to the body. What comes out is waste, you know. More poop the more there is things in the food that the body can not use.
    If the stools are getting too dry I add more meat or veggies and give less meaty bones and the problem is corrected next time the waste comes out.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

I don't have anything to contribute to this - altho I agree with giving some pumpkin. That's always helps a dog be a smoother mover but what I really wanted to say was this: how DELIGHTED I am to have another dog poo thread going. It's been a long time. I've missed these riveting discussions on texture and quality! Hooray for dog poo convos!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

HI... we feed Duke this food as well and he has done wonderful on it.. he is in great shape.. bloodwork great and allergies are at bay BUT we did have this exact problem. he would go from crumble poop to too wet ?? then I changed and gave him 1/2 dry and 1/2 wet ( can ) this has worked well.. also we give him lots of ice cubes.. I think getting their bowels in order is one of the hardest things!

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

The next morning after posting this, I have been boiling some water in the tea kettle and pouring it on their food (letting it cool down of course ) The poops have been fine since. I didn't bother to try it since the last time I put hot water on their food, they wouldn't touch it (but that was a different dog food). They seemed to love it. I just don't get it.....they drink water, we give ice cubes...I suppose it's just that little bit more water that does the trick. I do give hardboiled eggs, no shells. That was another thing I was wondering about...The cholesterol in the egg yolk. Is that ok for them?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads