Insurance... Bulldog vs. English Bulldog.. anybody notice this?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
While looking for pet insurance i noticed something strange. On some sites, Trupanion for example, they have both a Bulldog and English Bulldog breed you can select from.

Selecting 'English Bulldog' gives me a quote of $48 w/ a deducible of $250.
Selecting 'Bulldog' gives me a quote of $36 w/ a $250 deducible.

On Trupanion they even have a page that gives you information about different breeds. Select 'Bulldog' and they show you a picture of an English Bulldog.

The first line in Wikipedia about Bulldogs .... "
commonly referred to as the English Bulldog".

Do you think i'm safe just picking 'Bulldog' when i sign up for the insurance?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Good question! I have Trupanion...pretty sure I did English Bulldog. My premiums are $35 for $500 deductible and the optional hip dysplasia coverage. You could call them anonymously and ask what the difference is and why there is a price difference!

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good question! I have Trupanion...pretty sure I did English Bulldog. My premiums are $35 for $500 deductible and the optional hip dysplasia coverage. You could call them anonymously and ask what the difference is and why there is a price difference!

I called... they said to use what my vet has her recorded as. 'Bulldog' it is!

My quote for 'English Bulldog' w/hip dysplasia rider was $52 a month. All of the vets around me must have boat payments. :nope:

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
I write down British bulldog wonder what that would do

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I called... they said to use what my vet has her recorded as. 'Bulldog' it is!

My quote for 'English Bulldog' w/hip dysplasia rider was $52 a month. All of the vets around me must have boat payments. :nope:
If you sign up for hip dysphasia coverage when you buy insurance..before a year..it's pennies a month different! Check it out! Trupanion offers it this way!

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If you sign up for hip dysphasia coverage when you buy insurance..before a year..it's pennies a month different! Check it out! Trupanion offers it this way!

Hmm.. it shows up as an extra $12 a month for me.

Laura M Velazquez

May 17, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meilyr
I signed Meilyr up for Trupanion
and I pay about $60 but have a $50 deductible. No hip dysphasia as he was over the age limit.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk......Laura

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'll just add that hip dysplasia can be very, very expensive to treat but it can also be nominal - so make sure you have all the information you need to make sure it's worth that extra cost.

For example, my dog Truman presented with hip dysplasia at 10 weeks and it was severe. He needed two different surgeries that, with the cost of diagnosing him, cost around $4,000. In that case, the insurance would probably well worth it but, unless the hips are severe, it usually doesn't happen that way.

For many bulldogs, they do not present right away so the options are limited AND hip dysplasia can cause other orthopedic issues, like torn ACLs. Would those be covered as well or just treated as a knee problem?

Also, bulldogs are not candidates for hip replacement because they have such a unique shape and there is no prosthetic hips that are made for them and that is the most expensive treatment for dysplasia, which isn't an option.

Can you cancel the hip dyplasia rider if you've had your bully's hips x rayed or do you have to keep it for the lifetime of your policy?

Just some questions to keep in mind if you end up going with the $12 more a month for the coverage.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@sheshistory ..I can cancel it anytime, but could not buy it after the first year. So I decided to purchase it, keep it until we know more about Jake and then could cancel it.
Also..they have no genetic exclusions..only prexisting that had already been diagnosed.

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My older dog had VERY bad hips when i got him at the age of 5 (broken bones by abuse, hit by a car, torn ACL that was never treated so he favored on back leg... oh, and somebody had shot him). With the right care he lived to the happy old age of 15...

I hope we don't have any problems with Molly...
There isn't any history of hip problems in either of the parents family history so we decided not to do the dysplasia rider. I may chicken out and add it back in before she turns one.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My older dog had VERY bad hips when i got him at the age of 5 (broken bones by abuse, hit by a car, torn ACL that was never treated so he favored on back leg... oh, and somebody had shot him). With the right care he lived to the happy old age of 15...

I hope we don't have any problems with Molly...
There isn't any history of hip problems in either of the parents family history so we decided not to do the dysplasia rider. I may chicken out and add it back in before she turns one.

Oh wow! Poor baby! So happy he found you and lived the rest of his years happy and loved. We also rescued a few dogs..most off the streets of Los Angeles (my hubby has a huge heart) and one had lived a tough life on the streets. She was a wonderful Rottweiler and had also been abused. My vet thinks she had been hit by a car and healed badly which caused many problems later on. We know she had jumped through a window to escape a fire bomb while living with a homeless man in an abandoned camper. Needless to say,we spent thousands on her, without insurance. In fact, jake is the first one we have ever purchased insurance for! I must be getting fearful in my old age! :eek: somehow it works out! I'm sure Molly will be fine! Thanks again for saving a life. :bravo:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online