Yeast infection in ears

roxNjames

Oct 13, 2011
Hey there everyone,

Our little chunky guy has a pretty bad yeast infection at the moment. We've taken him to the vet before and confirmed it was a yeast infection a year or so ago. Since then I've given him a weekly check and given him this ear solution called Vétoquinol about once a month. As of the last couple months his ear has been horrible and I've had to up the solution to 3-4 times per week and it still piles up.

Active ingredients: SD-alcohol 40-2 10%, lactic acid 1.76%, dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate 1.1%, benzoic acid 0.15%, salicylic acid 0.1%

I'm sure somebody here has or had experienced this funky ear problem and any pointers would or possible cleanser recommendations would be very much appreciated by us.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Mocha has never had an ear infection thank God! But I clean her ears with witch hazel. It has worked great for her.I just take a cotton ball soaked in it and clean the outer part and I squeeze some in her ear. She shakes her head and that is it.Great advice I got here in the forum!!

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
How often do you do the witch hazel thing? My bully has had lots of ear infections both yeast and bacteria (once he had the trifecta of death in his right ear staph, e coli, and strep) but his ears have been clear for (knock on wood) several months and I would like to keep it that way... I've used a stridex pad on my other dogs ears but this does seem to work for the bully....so this witch hazel might be worth a try.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Looks like I'm going to be the first one to ask you this!!!! What are you feeding him??

Yeast infections are so often an allergic response to something in the food!!!

OP
R

roxNjames

Oct 13, 2011
Haha I knew that question was coming. When we adopted him he came home with the Bullie pictured Royal Canin and mushy poops which the vet said was more likely food related. After checking out some neat Bullie sites we got George on Canidae's All Life Stages Formula which helped a little but it was still pretty messy. From the Canidae we switched over to Lotus' Chicken Recipe which again got a bit better but still was soft.

Now we have him on Taste of the Wild's Wetlands formula which is one of the better foods and yeast free if I'm not wrong.

Also what exactly is witch hazel? And where can we get it?

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It could be the chicken.... a lot of bullies are allergic or sensitive to it.

Witch Hazel is a natural astringent... get it at the drug store, Target, Walmart, etc. I use it on folds, tail pocket, paws and ears

OP
R

roxNjames

Oct 13, 2011
Can they develop an allergy in only one ear from a food allergy? We'll try a different meat flavor and pick up that witch hazel stuff. Thanks for the replies.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
**bumping this up***

I don't have any ear yeast experience but there are others here who sure have. You've gotten some great advice here. Maybe someone can offer some preventative advice for after you get it cleared up?

Sorry to hear you've got this trouble, [MENTION=3439]roxNjames[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can they develop an allergy in only one ear from a food allergy? We'll try a different meat flavor and pick up that witch hazel stuff. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it is possible to get the infection in one ear... just like withus, we all have a weakness and the issue will present itself at the weakest point.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well malacetic otic is what i use in sarahs ears. keeps them clean and yeast free. and yes sarah only gets her yeast in one ear. its most likely food related. if the food has something in it your bully is allergic to then ear trouble. potatoes are another issue for yeast so maybe try something with peas in it instead of potatoes. lots are having success with earthborn might be worth a try. they have a limited ingredient lamb called meadows feast. its lamb peas and tapioca. might be worth a try.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.