Question about Jaeger

hoopdid

Nov 27, 2011
Pensacola, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Jaeger
Need some help here. I just received Jaeger last week (wed) and his :poo: were a little soft. Nothing bad so I figured it was just stress from being shipped. He had his first Vet checkup last Thursday and his stool sample was clear. Well now the last two days he has had almost pure liquid "squirts" and they have a little tint of blood in them. I am using the same food that the breeder was using, I have not fed him anything else other than some doggie treats, which I have not given him any in 24 hours to see if they were the cause. Could he be developing an allergy to his food? It does have grain in it so I plan on buying either Fromm tonight or Call of the Wild and start transitioning him over.

Any thoughts????:begging:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Maybe give him the "bland diet" for a day or two (my awesome recipe hahaha is below) and then transition him to the new grain free food? Anytime these guys have tummy upset that's resulted in "the squirts", that's what I do. Until it settles down to a semi solid poo at least. The liquid poo shouldn't go on for very long or there could be a dehydration risk. Is the pup drinking normally? I don't know what to say about the blood thing. I'd be back in that vet's office - but I'm a nut.

Recipe: 2 cups cooked white rice + 1 can white meat chicken with juice - mix. They love it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im no puppy expert but since the vet has checked for other things im wondering if the is is just stress related. bullies are very routine oriented and have sensitive systems and this puppy has been moved to a new place and had to see the vet all in a short period of time. id try the bland diet for a few days and cut out anything else. if poops get better i would put him back on his old food for maybe a couple of weeks to let him settle in then switch to a grain free food. and if you switch i would do a very slow switch of like 10 days or 2 weeks to be sure he is ok with it. good luck and i hope he gets better and welcome to ebn :welcome:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice has been given..... please keep us posted on his prgress. Good luck!

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I have found great success with Nutro max puppy till they are about 6 months old and then I slowly switch to a better food once their little stomach's can handle it. I really think this might help. I would also put him on boiled chicken breast and rice only for a couple of days then add some of the nutro max. Good luck! I used to go blue buffalo on weaning the pups but they just couldn't handle it and when I switched in only took a day or 2 till the diarreah was gone. :D
Roanne

Last edited:
OP
hoopdid

hoopdid

Nov 27, 2011
Pensacola, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Jaeger
He is on Nutro Puppy Large breed. This is the food that has the grain in it that I want to get away from. Think I'll try the chicken and rice for a day or two and see how he does. Thanks for all the great advice!!!

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Congrats on your new puppy... probably is just stress of a move, but if a little time and diet doesn't seem to fix it you are going to want to take a sample to the vet for some lab tests. My puppy came with Giardia, it took so long to diagnose it, it stunted his growth and he has a life long 'gastirc' issue that sometimes he has to go every 2 hours and is just soup. Its a good thing I love him so much... :)

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
My boy was on that puppy food to when we brought him home.. He went through the same thing and the vet treated him for a parasite and it went away quick.. Its horrible when they have the runs. Poor baby I do hope he's better real soon....

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
When you took him for a vet check did you take in a fecal sample ... and if so did you get the results back yet. The reason I ask is because giardia can turn the stools in almost clear liquid with some trace of blood. It is also easily caught by other animals AND humans.

If you DID get the results from the sample, and it showed negative ... ask your vet ... sometimes a giardia can come back as a false negative!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.