Question about AppleCV.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So I read in [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]'s thread that he puts Apple Cider Vinager in HRH's water. Can someone tell me what exactly does that do? I have never done it and don't even remember reading about it.....and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] did not answer my tag!! :ROFL::tease:

I have read on here about flushing our bully's ears with it, what is the ratio of ACV to water to flush? I have never used it in his ears either, actually I have never used it period on him. Give me some tips on ACV and how to use it please, I have some in the pantry.

Thank you.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
ACV has tons of uses. I normally use it to relieve itchiness - I spray it on a dog's coat. I have to warn you - that thing SMELLS! And they don't taste too good either so not all dogs will drink it off their water bowl...

And I won't write a long post about it... which I could easily do because, Filipinos love their vinegar (You must be Filipino if, there's a distinctive vinegar smell coming from the kitchen), but I'm trying to keep @JAKEISGREAT happy today. LOL.

Okay, why ACV (or any natural vinegar for that matter. Apples don't grow in the Philippines, so we use rice vinegar or coconut vinegar). ACV is acidic. So, you normally use ACV to adjust the pH of something. In the Philippines, vinegar is a home remedy for UTI (kills the bacteria) and kidney stones (dissolves the stones) and athritis (balances out uric acid in joints) for humans as well as pets. It is also a bug deterrent - but of course, the smell of the thing kinda limits its use in public places. :)

Virii and Bacteria don't thrive in acidic conditions and neither do fleas or ticks or mites. So, vinegar can be a solution for things like ear infections, mange, etc. etc. when used as a topical treatment. Also, the acidity in vinegar acts as a natural preservative, so it can also help against food poisoning. Vinegar also can aid in balancing stomach acids to aid in breaking down of proteins in digestion.

BUT... you run the risk of acidosis if you use it when you don't need it. A human - and a dog - naturally balances the body's PH levels through the pancreas and the adrenal glands. Adding acidic supplements can make the body work twice as hard to maintain that balance especially if the body is already too alkaline or too acidic to begin with. So, that's why I don't use it as a daily nutritional supplement. I use it as a remedy not as a prevention. Make sense?

EDIT: I realized that acidic/alkalinity in this post is too confusing so I think I need to explain it...Vinegar is acidic but it's a weak acid. So, if you compare it to the skin and blood, it is more acidic than skin and blood. If you compare it to the stomach, intestines, kidneys, urinary tract, joints, it is less acidic, so addition of vinegar to these places make it more alkaline. Make sense?

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Use the mother AC , Bragg is the brand name and you can find it in the health food section, 4-5 dollars a bottle, mix ratio 1/3 to 1 for cleaning ears, you can also use that ratio for an after shampoo and rinse/rinse. There's many uses for AC. I posted a copy of an article sometime ago on this subject. I forget witch thread it was on.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Not sure about for dogs. I take a couple of TBSPS everyday..chase it with orange juice. Yes...pretty gross but it is very good for you! Many benefits. For anyone that irregularity...it's a blessing. many benefits from acv. you have to get 'the mother' type that is unfiltered to get the benefits.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] , i did not know that! Wow. So , is it good then to add to your bullys water?? And if so , how often should it be added??

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
@anatess , i did not know that! Wow. So , is it good then to add to your bullys water?? And if so , how often should it be added??

Benefits of acetic acid is not scientifically proven so I can't recommend it.

For myself, I don't use it for prevention for humans and pets. I use it for remedy. That means, I only use it if I'm trying to solve a problem that is already present - like mange, ear infection, UTI, athritis, etc.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i tried using it for sarahs yeast and yes it does smell but no matter how much i watered it down it seemed like it burned her. she would run around for several minutes and try to rub stuff. and esp if i left it in the bottle to use again later. maybe your not supposed to save it and use it again i dunno. i dont use it anymore for this reason. if using on the body maybe test a small area and see if it is ok. just my personal experience with it and yeast. i clean sarahs ears with malacetic otic now and use chloraseb for her other areas with yeast.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't use it as a cure ... only as a preventative ... so [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] maybe that's the reason why if it seemed to hurt Sarah ??? [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I use a 50/50 ratio of ACV to water. Never had a yeast infection in their ears since!! :up: I use it once maybe twice a week.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] i guess thats what i was getting at in a round about way. :yes: lol

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I started using ACV yesterday as a matter of fact to try to help Aldo's tear stains. Since I feed raw my dogs drink very little water, so I just put a teaspoon on their food and theybate it fine, didn't even flinch. Interested to see what [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] says about this since I know she also feeds raw.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
lol just posted on another thread re acv,ive stopped using it as i think annie has yeast overgrowth ,leaky gut syndrome and have to say since stopping acv and starting acidophilus her itching,hotspots,paw licking,cheesy smell ,sneezing and runny eyes have all but gone,to encourage fluid intake i now just add water with her feed ,she still eats all her food and doesnt mind the extra water lol,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.