Skin Problems

Lincoln52

Jan 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Hello everyone!! My bulldog Bella is 3 yrs old and for the past month now she has been having a skin issue. She has what looks like missing pieces of fur on her back and then what looks like a little scab in one place. I feed her Blue Wilderness, chicken flavor. Been feed her that for the past 6 months with no problem. Not sure what the problem is and every time I take her to the vet they cost me about $300 in tests and can't tell me anything. Should I changer her food or what could the problem be?

Thanks for your help if possible!!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
She may have become sensitive to the Chicken after 6 months of use.
That's not totally uncommon. Yes, you should gradually switch over to a grain free
kibble with a different Protein... and hopefully see improvement after a week of being on the 100% rationing of the new kibble....

¿All the vet visits and they never offered you a blood test for allergies?
Try to find a vet that is knowledgeable with English Bulldogs..

Good Luck...
Keep us posted...

Last edited:
OP
L

Lincoln52

Jan 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks Jack! Can you recommend a good whole grain food that I could possibly feed her?

Yeah I'm getting irritated with my vet! I'm taking her in today and have an allergy test done. Also going to look for a new vet!!

OP
L

Lincoln52

Jan 9, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Sorry, I meant can you recommend a "Good Grain Free Food" that I could feed her?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Most of the highest rated foods will have grain free options..and a lot of Bullies do have a sensitivity to chicken. But without an allergy test, there's no way to be certain. Jake is on Fromm..beef Fritatta..which is chicken and grain free. You might check out the dog food ratings and how to understand the dog food labels. Both full of great info..in the forum section!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im no expert but has your bully been scraped for mange? just wondering if a vet visit isnt in order to rule that out. then maybe look at the food. just a thought.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
what about alopecia? it causes hair loss and you can use melatonin to fix it. Can you post a pic?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4035]Lincoln52[/MENTION] Definitely sounds like food allergy.... you are right in wanting a grain free food, also as @JAKEISGREAT stated, try to avoid chicken as many bully has issue with it. My girl is also on the Fromm Beef and my vet is thrilled with how she has been doing on it.

Ask your vet to do a full screen blood allergy test -- it will give you a list of what to avoid. Also, the scabs could be a staph infection -- have the vet check it out.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can not add to what has already been said except to ask what are the tests that you say have already been done??

Bono bully

Aug 19, 2011
Zagreb
Bulldog(s) Names
Bono
My Bono is also 3 years old and having skin issues...vet recomended switching food, so we did. We switched to Taste of the wild ( salmon- grain free) and it did good for us. Skin is not red and itchy anymore... Try with switching food, maybe it is the problem, I know lot of bullys allergic to chicken. Good luck!! :-)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. I hope you find a solution to your bullie's problem. Pix probably would help. Thanx for joining :)

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Currently, Maximus is being treated for the exact same condition. The Vet has indicated he has pyoderma/dermatitis, and is currently on Antibiotics and Steroids.
He is on a Raw Frozen Diet (INSTINCT) and has been on that diet for almost 2-months. When he is done with the medications, he will be Allergy tested.
Maximus has the same scabby sores on his back with hair loss as your dog. This is the 2nd time he has had this. Vet indicates it is bacterial, but he did do a
scraping for Mange, which I do recommend also to rule it out. I don't know if FOOD is the problem. Max's diet was changed almost 2 months ago - and eats
the venison and buffalo formula. Personally, I think it's enviornmental, and thats why I am pursuing Allergy blood testing.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.