Vet. Nixes Elk Antlers

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
My husband and I have been having daily discussions about the safety of elk antler chews since Christmas. So we agreed to ask our vet. and accept and abide by his opinion. He said no way would he let his dogs have them, and especially considering the way our Bulldogs chew, the possibility of shards getting lodged somewhere. So we're done with the antlers, LONG LIVE NYLABONES!!! Just thought I'd pass this information along.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Wow! Didn't know that. THanks for the info! Bubba chewed on it a few days and got bored with it..just like most of his other toys! :(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Alice..is it just elk antlers? Or ALL antlers? I've not tried the elk but I've never even seen a shard break off an antler. They aren't like normal bones and this surprises me! Boy..these vets need to get together! My vet thinks they are fine...just take them away when small enough to swallow! :confused:

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I think some are "harder" than others. I am pretty good with picking out the kind that are very hard and will take Lucy lots of knawing to make a dent in them. When I first started buying them I threw a few away because I felt they were too soft. Some with a lot of marrow (not sure what to call that softer inside) do tend to break off in pieces a little more. I am confident with the ones I have right now. Something to think about.

In any case--that you for sharing@alicekable. I think no matter what we give our dogs--antlers, nylabones--any chew toy we need to be mindful of what they are up to. I only let lucy chew on her antler about 45 minutes and then I take it away. She is usually laying next to me so I can keep a close eye on her. Only takes a second for something scary to happen.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas like his stuffies never shreds anything, he has had his one deer antler for months and chews on it regulary, there is not even a chip missing, the one he got for Christmas same thing. I am so glad he is not a shredder or destroyer/chewer!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
The antlers the girls have a real large in diameter, they can't grab hold enough to put a lot of pressure behind their bite. They tend to just gnaw on the edge a little. So far nothing has come off, it is just getting worn on the edge.

OP
Alice Kable

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] our vet said no to all antlers. [MENTION=2099]LucysMum[/MENTION] I also would let them have them for 45 min. to 1 hr. a day, with me sitting right there. They would trade off but Mack's was the smaller one and it got chewed down a couple inches. Ruggles' big antler looks very safe to me, but they have got a lot of marrow out of it so that may weaken it. They really enjoyed them but I'm not going to risk a problem.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Wow ... thanks for sharing [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION]!!! Chunk's kinda disintegrates (for lack of a better term) ... it leaves what looks like a white trail behind but never breaks into small pieces. However, I think we will be done with them now!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i just got my deer antlers. geez. i dont think im going to give up on them just yet especially since they wont eat the nylabones at all. its all sarah and the boys will chew on really. ill have to think about it.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I think I will not get any for Mocha now. [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION], thanks for asking the vet!! I just dont want to risk anything happening.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Alice..is it just elk antlers? Or ALL antlers? I've not tried the elk but I've never even seen a shard break off an antler. They aren't like normal bones and this surprises me! Boy..these vets need to get together! My vet thinks they are fine...just take them away when small enough to swallow! :confused:

Agreed... our vet is OK with them too.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
My vet is fine with these too. The ones we have kind of crumble into really tiny crumbs.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
i just got my deer antlers. geez. i dont think im going to give up on them just yet especially since they wont eat the nylabones at all. its all sarah and the boys will chew on really. ill have to think about it.

Jake and Dena have been gnawing on one for 7 months! And it's a split one that all the marrow has been whittled away. I thoroughly inspected it..not one tiny crack or nuttin! I'll be careful and appreciate the info Alice..but my dogs :love: these and my nylabones actually crumble more!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola has one deer and one elk antler that i specifically bought with the marrow exposed. she does chew on them for hours a day, and after she ate all the marrow inside, the outside wears down and breaks off into smaller pieces, most of which we take away when she gets them. so it's true that they could cause a choking hazard which is why we never let them in the crate or while we're not watching. hours of entertainment and they're good for her too, but we watch her.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My deer antlers have never chipped or cracked. They just seem to slowly wear down. They enjoy them too much to give them up. They don't care for Nylabones.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online