Slightly worried about 6 week old pup

Lukeg28

Dec 9, 2011
Hi guys,

A few of you have orobs seen my post about me getting my pup on the 14th but got him a week early.

He is now home and settling in but I'm slight worried about his breathing and heart,

He seems to breath extremely fast and his heart is going stupidly fast!

Is this normal?

Here's somme pics of Bentley
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326126465.160499.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326126504.554737.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326126520.638953.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
hes very young to be away from his mum ,puppies this young do often breath a little faster same for thier heartbeats,unless hes unwell i would not worry ,keep him warm and well fed ,but obviously if hes showing signs of illness then a visit to the vet will be needed,he may be stressed being so young,good luck,karen

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
How soon are you taking him in for his first vet appointment.? It is usually done shortly after getting the pup home.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Oh wow!! He is a young one. He is cute though:heart: I agree with [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], and [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] should help you with such a young pup.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
your little Bentley is a cutie, as [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] has said they will breath a little fast when they are young. As long as he is acting fine and playing he is probably fine. If you are not sure, then take him to the vet for a checkup just to be sure. 6 weeks is awfully young to bring home, but he should be fine, just keep him warm and not to play too much as he still needs plenty of rest.

OP
Lukeg28

Lukeg28

Dec 9, 2011
Ok thanks every, I think 6 weeks is the standard here in the uk more or less.

The breeder took him for his health check, 1st injection and chip on Thursday.

Breeder said the health check was perfect but I haven't seen the certificate yet as it took a few days to go on paper and be sent out.

He plays now and again but all he seems to do is sleep lol!

Also how much do you think I should be feeding him? Breeder said 6 times a day with a small cup of food. Added boiling water and drain do it soft and wait till it goes cold and serve with yogurt added as he has slight runs at the moment breeder said since the food change. It's not completely runny but it's not solid either it does seem to be getting better also.

L

Lucy-licious

Aww bless he's a cutie :luv: he's probably stressed think of the massive change for him. One day he was home snuggled with his mum and siblings then the next day he's in a car driving to a new home, Lucy did the same when we brought her home. 6 weeks is a bit young though, has he had his 1st jab? You need him in the vet before he's been home a week anyway so make the appointment now and just try to keep home life quiet whilst he settles in. I know everyone is excited for you and wants to see him, but much the same as you would when bringing home a new baby, ask people to give him time for now.

Congrats on your boy though he's lovely. I look forward to watching him grow up xx

OP
Lukeg28

Lukeg28

Dec 9, 2011
Any advice for the runs?

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
He is such a cutie! Congrats! He is probably just a bit stressed out being away from his mommy and littermates and in a strange place with strange people. Especially so young. We got Frank a bit older and even so, the first two days he had very rapid breathing and heartbeat as well as the runs from being so worried. But as he settled in to our home and got used to us, he was much better. I know also many more people here have tons of puppy experience and will probably weigh in as well.

OP
Lukeg28

Lukeg28

Dec 9, 2011
Hopefully I really want to get his runs fixed.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hopefully I really want to get his runs fixed.

I'm thinking at least part of the runs problem is because of over feeding! My Jake still gets runny :poo: if I try to increase his feeding size. and that's a lot of food! Jake came home at 8 weeks and got 1/2 cup 3 times a day! I would also have the vet test for any parasites..especially gardia. (sp)

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
6 times a day is a lot to feed at 6 weeks. This could be causing loose stool ,Like JAKEISGREAT Said, 3 times a day should be plenty, 1/2 cup each feeding, give him plenty of fresh water. He's going to need to go potty lots, about every 1-1/2 to 2 hours, if he has the runs it could be from puppy worms too. Here in the US we generally worm 3 times before 8 weeks old. Take a stool sample to the vet. I assume you have a vet appointment. Also let him rest when he wants to. Don't over play a puppy until they pass out. Keep him warm and hold him close to you. He's addoarabull.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
6 times a day is a lot to feed at 6 weeks. This could be causing loose stool ,Like JAKEISGREAT Said, 3 times a day should be plenty, 1/2 cup each feeding, give him plenty of fresh water. He's going to need to go potty lots, about every 1-1/2 to 2 hours, if he has the runs it could be from puppy worms too. Here in the US we generally worm 3 times before 8 weeks old. Take a stool sample to the vet. I assume you have a vet appointment. Also let him rest when he wants to. Don't over play a puppy until they pass out. Keep him warm and hold him close to you. He's addoarabull.

I agree, could be both too much food, worms, or coccidia, all common in pups. Lots of rest, they grow a lot at that age and need the sleep.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:welcome: to EBN. Great advice above. When I got Wilson at 8 weeks I worried about the same thing, he was a rapid breather as well. He also panted quite a bit. His breathing settled in within a few weeks and his panting at nighttime was due to the type of crate I had him in, the closed plastic style. While it was cool, bullies like air flow circulation. A fan really helped that problem. You're guys a cutie.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.