There's something wrong with ALDO's tail :(

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Well, I took both pups for a well puppy check up that I got complimentary from the AKC for registering. I was really happy with the vet that checked them. It's their second vet visit, first one when I just got them, nothing was noted as abnormal. Well, this time, the vet checked them head to paws.. listened to their heart/lungs for a long time, checked their eyes, teeth, ears, legs, EVERYTHING and it was free! I was pretty impressed, I got to write the AKC and tell them.. anyways, she is really concerned about Aldo's little tail. It is a little screw tail, very very small and the bone twists into his butt. She says I got to really go in there and clean it because if he gets moisture infection or yeast it will be VERY VERY hard to treat since there is no air flow to the area. she also pointed out that it was so small that there is not a whole lot they can crop off if they needed to.. so I;m a little worried about this, I tried cleaning it with baby wipes, I have to push the rectum to the side and really push his butt in to be able to stick the wipe in there.. it hurts him to and he runs from me when I approach him with baby wipes :cry:
Have any of your dogs had this problem? I feel so bad for him that I have to do that every day, will he get used to it? I also clean his face,and he hates that too, but at least he doesn't cry :cry:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Hi!! I think you might be doing it a little forcefull, it should not hurt him when you clean that area. Try cleaning just the surface of his rectum and drying it fully. I put some goldbond powder on Mocha's after drying the area. Mocha also runs away from me whenever she sees wipes on my hands:yes:!! She also runs and hides under the dinning room table when I say tubby time!!!! Anyways, dont worry too much, Mocha's tail is like that and I just make sure its kept clean and dry and you should have no problems with it. If he doesnt have a problem when he goes poopoo, and he can lift his tail dont worry.

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] thank you! His rectum is uncovered, the tail screws right onto the side of it and into the pocket, it's a little hard to explain.. the only way I can get under the little tail is by moving the rectum a little to the side, so the wipe will fit under it.. I don't think I've ever seen his lift his tail, it's like it's screwed into that pocket.. but he can definitely go potty cuz it's to the side.. I might be trying to hard though :( I'll try to be a little gentler tomorrow.. poor thing :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
And make sure you have something on the baby wipe that will dry it out, moisture from with wipe itself will cause yeast growth. Like some witch hazel (would feel soothing to the bum area too I would think) squirted on your wipe, or some Mal-a-cetic Otic.

Yes it is important that you check it regularly- just to be sure there is no issues. Sounds like maybe there is a tail pocket in there possibly?

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] how about using a baby wipe then doing the same thing with a dry gauze? will that work? yeah, I think there's a tail pocket, it's definitely embedded, I mean, not to where there's skin attached, but it's not freely moveable like my other bulldogs tail..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It will be easier for you to only do the wipe and not worry about drying it too. If you use witch hazel squirted on your wipe, it is an astringent therefore it has drying agents in it. :up: It's also super cheap and can be bought at your local drug store. :up: :up:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
When BabyGir was a puppy vet told me she had a tight screwtail. The older she got it seemed like the tail was sinking in but it was actually her growing around it. As much as I clean it with wipes the only way to really get it clean enough is to put her in the tub. I have a dog bath tub in the garage and I have a hose attached to my washing machine water lines so I can use warm water. I use malaket shampoo and I carefully try to get some lather in around in that deep pocket of her tail (you might have to put your finger in there to reach the deep recesses where all the irritating substance is) leave the lather in it for 10-15 minutes - rinse very well - then get cotton balls or Q-tips (if it is really tight) and gently go in an around till you feel you've got most of the water out. As suggested by someone on the forum, I purchased some empty mustard and ketchup squeeze bottles and put some Gold Bond powder in one. If the tip is too small you can cut it till you see the powder comes out easily with a squeeze. I gently put the tip in and around her tail pocket and give it a squeeze untill I fill every nook and cranny of her tail with powder. She's good for at least four days because the powder is absorbing the natural moisture that develops. If I don't keep this up her tail pocket can easily get infected and swell up. Hope this helps.

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I will get the witch hazel monday and try that! thank you :)

[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] that's an awesome idea too! where did you find the empty ketchup bottles? I haven't seen them empty before? this sounds like a good option for Aldo too, since his is also a very tight screw tail, thank you.. I have been putting desitin on there, but I think the powder will work better for him nd that's a good idea with the squeeze bottle.. poor pup :S

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
if you cant find a ketchup bottle you can look in the car dept for similar bottles, or even an empty (not used) hair dye bottle. Anything that shape will work. I have seen those ketchup bottles at Walmart before.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION]...Regarding the empty ketchup/mustard bottles. Do you have a store called Big Lots? I found them there. Sometimes they have them in the kitchen accessories aisle in the market. You might be able to find them in Bed, Bath and Beyond store. Do you have any kitchen specialty stores in your area? Just Google "squeeze bottles" they are pretty cheap.

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] I do have a big lots near my home, I'll go take a look on Monday, thank u :pleasantry:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] lotrimin powder works also and it has a spout already on the bottle for easy application to a tail pocket and is for yeast also. just another suggestion although you have gotten some good ones already.

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] oh cool! I'll check it out monday too! It will be easier not having to transfer the powder! Thanks everybody for your suggestions :) You are all awesome!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea's tail pocket is like you're describing....very deep. I can get the whole tip of my forefinger in there to wipe it out. I use the same thing DesertSkyBulldogs uses - those MalOKet wipes. Got mine at Amazon.com. It's really a daily activity for her and since we've been doing it since she was a wee pup, she holds still for the activity. (In the beginning, she got a treat every time for this. )

Bo has an "outtie" so his cleaning is limited to the "crease" between where the tail meets his bum. My EB Mable used to get sore/itchy there from time to time as evidenced by the "break dancing", I call it. (when there's nothing that needs to be expressed in there - obviously)

Bea was break dancing yesterday evening and it occurred to me that I hadn't been in there to clean in some days - four to be exact! Wow. It was a mess. I wiped until the cloth was clean after the last swipe thru there..... Won't be forgetting that again!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
WOW... you've received some great advice. We have issue with Banks' tail... we use baby wipes or a cotton pad with witch hazel, depends on how it looks, but mostly it is the witch hazel. There was a time when she was I think one/two years old where we feared having to remove it, but I was determined not to do so.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.