Ear Infection Blues

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
So, as I wrote last week, I took Linus to the vet because he was acting strange and the vet said he had another raging ear infection and was generally itchy and miserable because of allergies. He was given a steroid shot to reduce the inflammation and itching and was put on a special ear wash used twice a day to combat yeast and bacteria as well as Remicin ear ointment, twice a day. He seemed so much better but in the last two days, he started being cranky and hiding again (this is what he does when he feels bad), so he's going back to see the vet this evening.

He's been on his new grain free diet and his wrinkles and eyes looks a TON better but the ear started to look better but is now oozing some very dark colored material, which could either be some really dark ear wax or dried blood.

My question is has anyone else dealt with chronic ear infections and does anyone have any insight as to whether or not I should ask my vet about putting Linus on allergy medication? I feel so bad for him and I hate to keep going through different treatments for ear infections when I don't feel like we're getting at the root problem.

Thanks!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Poor Linus! I hope he feels better soon! We have been battling an ear infection in one of Samson's ears since 5/12/10. It was his first one. I give Samson a bath about once every 2 weeks and after I clean his ears so his ears never look dirty. I saw one day that one ear was very dirty, looked like some dry blood too, and when I went to wipe some of the gunk away to see what was going on Samson cried. Samson NEVER cries in pain so I knew something was wrong and we were instantly off to the vet. They put him on oral antibiotics and ear drops (otomax) to be used everyday for 10-14 days. Did all that and 6/4/10 (about a week after I was supposed to stop the drops) I noticed it was back. Back to the vet. She said she thought it was a stubborn infection, wanted to treat it more long term. They flushed the ear and prescribed more ear drops (otomax). First week drops everyday, then 2-3 times a week for a month. Did that. Well last week I noticed it was back AGAIN. This time I didn't bother going back to the vet, I still have plenty of drops. I wipe out his ear with a cotton ball (they said only use cotton balls or q-tips gently) and did drops everyday this past week. Already looks alot better so I am going to start transitioning to drops 2-3 times a week. Basically following the schedule prescribed last time. Samson is due for his yearly check up here soon so I'll talk to my vet about it again then. From what the vet says sometimes it just becomes a chronic problem in certain dogs. He is on allergy meds that were prescribed a couple years ago, atarax. Without them his eyes get really watery and licks his paws like crazy. He always licks his paws a bit which we think is kind of an obsessive behavior but without it he will lick those paws RAW! Oh and they said ear infections can be allergy related.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks Tessa.

Linus did really well at the vet...down to 76 pounds on his new diet with a goal weight of 70 pounds. The doctor looked at the ear again and put him on a cycle of prednisone while he combats the infection with the Remicin and ear wash. Hopefully that, plus the new diet, does the trick - but it helps to know Linus is not alone in his ear problems. I will keep everyone apprised since I know this is common in bullies.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awww both of your bullies have owies! :(. Give them a kiss from me!!!

LindaJO

Jun 23, 2010
Palmdale,CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston Riley
Winston Riley has chronic ear infections and my vet has him on Synotic ear drops as well as an ear wash with an antifungal med for the yeast in it. He has food allergies.. I give him either an allergy pill cloratabs by walmart which butchko gives to bullies in riverside. He is well know for knowing the bulldog. Or when he is really bad benadryl. He is always having a battle with secondary infections from yeast on his face wrinkles. Drives me NUTZ>>>> !!! You can do an allergy panel on them to actually see what he really is allergic to. my vet recommended atopic which i dont know too much about it to control these flares ups from happening.. and getting costly.. anyone know of this??

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I wanted to give this a bump. Linus went back to the vet for a follow up and his ears are looking much, much better. He has dropped 4 pounds since he went in his diet 3 weeks ago and the change in diet has made Linus' already silky soft fur, even softer!

The major issue now is he seems to still have a surplus of yeast coming from one ear. I am finishing up his last round of ear meds and he's taking a 10 day cycle of fluconazole, which is an anti-fungal that I am pretty unfamiliar with but is marketed as Diflucan for people. This will stop the growth of fungus and yeast to help get things under control.

I am also contemplating another food change. While he's really doing well on TOTW, I am suspicious of his increased "yeasty-ness."

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Abby has chronic ear infections. I really think she has medicine more than she doesn't. I try to limit her contact with synthetic fibers, but it does get hard at times. I think a lot of it is due to the humid Florida weather. It always seems to get worse in the summer.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have no idea what is going on with Linus but he's had a couple ear infections in his four years but nothing this stubborn. He's been under a lot of stress with Bentley's death and the new puppy - his whole life was changed - so that coupled with the heat has made it tough to clear up. Poor fella. The flucanzole appears to be giving him some diarrhea too. :(

Most Reactions