Do bullies get bruised? Weird black spot under Rocco's arm (see pictures)

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hi,
We were having our usual play session tonight, with Rocco rolling over on his back and play biting our hands (we call this his "stitch face" from the Disney movie Lilo and Stich") when I noticed a black spot under his arm (near his armpit). I've attached photos. It is not raised or bumpy. It almost is like a little black bruise. It is new, as I would have noticed this before. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? Not sure if I should be worried or not. He is acting normal (pretty normal, I've notice a bit more thirst, and at night he has been doing this strange licking thing, almost like he has dry mouth. But overall great energy, eating well, sleeping well, playing well.

I might wait and see if it goes away on its own unless someone hear thinks this is a serious symptom that requires prompt attention - please let me know.

Thanks EBN Friends!

Rocco's Mom rocco spot3.jpgrocco spot1.jpgrocco spot2.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm thinking it almost looks like a mole. I know Bullys get black spots under their fur all the time. Like freckles. It's ard to tell fom the pictures, could it be a pigment change? I'm sure someone will be along soon..but if you are concerned, I would probably go to the vet. Please let us know..we can sure all earn fom each other!

OP
KristinMarie

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Thanks JakeisGreat. I hope someone has seen this before. The spot must have appeared in the last day or so, as I'm certain I would have noticed this before. Rocco is approaching 18 months old. The mole is about the size of a penny. Sorry the pics are kiinda hard to tell what's going on. He has other spots on his tummy but they are faded ginger color. This is definitely a very dark blackish brown spot. Strange.....?????
Kristin

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Kristin..I think..in my opinion, if it looks like a mole, I would go have the vet check it out. you will just worry anyway, might as well get it checked.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
When Bertie was younger, almost overnight, she got dark spots and my vet laughed....said it was typical of a bully to have pigment changes.

OP
KristinMarie

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hi reallyrob! Thanks so much for your input! I am hoping this is a simple pigment change. The rest of his fur is ginger and white with no dark spots so it really stands out. I will wait and see if anyone else has comments. He is probably due for a vet visit soon anyway (checking out some thirst/dry mouth behavior, as well as get his ears checked). But thanks, for your input so I don't have to worry too much (tonight).

K

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
How old is Rocco? He sure is a handsome little boy!
Bertie started getting spots on her underside at about 6 months. It seemed like everytime I looked at her I saw something different.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Looks like normal bulldog freckle too me. Our Girl Mimi has tons of them. Get her wet and she looks like a dalmatian. Rudy has even more but since he is mostly brindle they are harder to see. I wouldn't worry about it but if it really bothers you go see the vet. Might be time for a checkup anyway.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
He could be starting to get bully freckles. But if it would make you feel better a vet would be able to tell if it is or not. Maybe if he is due anyway it would be a good idea to take him in.
Here is HRH showing off her bully belly: ;)

100_2403.jpg

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is it raised on the skin or flat?

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
My katara is 4 months and she has a lot of freckles under her fur, on her face and on tummy mostly.. It's weird that Rocco would just be getting his first one at 18 months.. I would probably go check it out just in case.. since he needs a visit anyways..Rocco is so beautiful btw!

OP
KristinMarie

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Thanks everyone for your input! I think you are all right that this is probably just a freckle - but since its my first one, and I need to take Rocco in anyway I will ask his vet. I will let you know the outcome. Have a great day!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Thanks everyone for your input! I think you are all right that this is probably just a freckle - but since its my first one, and I need to take Rocco in anyway I will ask his vet. I will let you know the outcome. Have a great day!

ha ha I was the same way.. as Duke got older he has like 20 of them now!!! as long as it is not raised I am sure is a bully freckle!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Nitschke was red/white and his belly/chest seemed to get new 'freckles' almost every day when he was 8-24 months --- ask the vet just to confirm, but as long as it is not raised, it should be fine and is a pigment change. Never hurts to check it out. Banks -- she is a freakled girl.... head to toe.

Most Reactions