A royal cold

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Well HRH couldn't have a common cold, now could she?

But she is phlegmy, coughing some because of the mucous and her eye just look like she has a cold.

Do Vets treat colds in dogs the way physicians do in humans? I mean,if it's a virus there isn't antibiotic treatment needed. they just recommend OTC relief meds and rest.

We have been giving her benadryl to help dry up some of the mucous.

Anyone else ever notice what seemed like a cold in their bulldog, and what did you do about it?

L

Lucy-licious

Oh no I hope she gets better soon, give her a big hug from Lucy and I :hug:

I'd just keep an eye on her TBH.
I get worried too if Lucy gets snuffly because of the chances of respiratory tract infections.
In general in humans if mucous is a dirty green/brown then antibiotics are warranted, and when I spoke to the vet once about Lucy having a drippy, runny nose he told me not to worry whilst it was clear but any changes, colour and thickness to take her in.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Bubba has been doing the same thing for a few days! Benedryl seemed to work for a bit, along with lemon juice. But he still has it. Now, my one terrior is hacking and coughing up some phlem. Made an appt with the vet. I was reading about the dog flue, which I think actually started in FL (where I live). Bubba has the congestion with hacking and coughing up some thick phlem. I also was reading about kennel cough. I do take them to the dog park. I hope not! Good luck!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw my poor things. [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2308]bubbaisapig[/MENTION] sarah and my boys get stuffy sometimes and i have 2 humidifiers i use in my house to keep the phlem moving and from building up. the air in this house is so dry from the heating for winter. we use them when we have a cold why not for our dogs. i also have 2 air cleaners i ordered online to help to. i hope they feel better soon. maybe try a zyrtec instead of benadryl. ive used both on sarah and my boys. :hug: just some suggestions

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Air dryness isn't a problem here with 14 aquariums, the largest being a thousand gallons.. LOL
HRH has put herself on bed rest. So now she will sleep 23.5 hours today instead of her usual 23. :D

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] I tried the zyrtec last night with both dogs. a little confused about dosage. my vet said 1/4 to 1/2 pill a day. a member here said her dogs dermatologisttold her 2 pills a day. What dosage do u give?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Air dryness isn't a problem here with 14 aquariums, the largest being a thousand gallons.. LOL
HRH has put herself on bed rest. So now she will sleep 23.5 hours today instead of her usual 23. :D

Holy crap. This needs it's own thread WITH PICTURES in "Other Pets"!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2308]bubbaisapig[/MENTION]. i have given sarah 2 pills a day one am and one pm but that was in the summer. now if i were you i would just start with 1/2 a pill am and pm and then go from there. sarah has many allergies so actually i just gave her 1/4 pill to start. it was so funny me cutting that pill up into pieces.:yes: bf just rolled his eyes at me but hey gotta b careful with our bullies lol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
omg [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] can that be like tank abuse:eek: Is there some agency that monitors these things?:blink: there has just got to be something wrong with that:p actually thats ok i was just throwing it out there for you or anyone just in case. and we all know hrh needs her rest. :yes:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Poor HRH and poor Bubba. Colds are no fun at all. Frank has been very phlegmy lately with a clear runny nose, but I think it is just from our house so dry from the heater. I don't have any other suggestions other than to make sure they are drinking lots of fluids. Could give them chicken broth or such to make sure they are getting enough fluid. I think that helps thin out mucus as well.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwwww..poor Princess Grace! I hope she rests and rests and rests. Poor thing, the stress of it all is such a load to carry. I mean keeping Brucie awake must be sooooo exhausting! :hug:

Heyyyy...maybe she caught sumpin from Lari?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Holy crap. This needs it's own thread WITH PICTURES in "Other Pets"!

I just took a 15 minute video of our fish and it is uploading to YouTube right now. I'll post it in Other Pets a little later. Thanx for asking :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I just took a 15 minute video of our fish and it is uploading to YouTube right now. I'll post it in Other Pets a little later. Thanx for asking :)

Sweeet! All I have left is a teeny ten gallon tank now with a few fish in it. I used to raise Oscars back in the eighties - but the largest tank I ever had was 125 gal. I'm a huge fish fan. Can't wait to see your FISH TOUR 2012 Bruce!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=3639]Bruce[/MENTION] I don't know how you do it, we have a 75 gal. saltwater tank and it is a pain in our A*S!!!! Always taking levels, water changes, right now we are battleing nitrate problems, it is never ending IF ONLY I KNEW.....Joe would not have got a tank last year!! And the cost of saltwater fish (and we have 12)....AGAIN, had I done my research!! Dont get me wrong it is beautiful but when you put a $55 dollar Wrase in and it gets ate in 3 seconds I just want to drain the tank and throw the fish in the pool!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online