Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Hi there... My bulldog, Schultz is 5 years old ...and has had all the usual skin afflictions... But I thought I had him in good shape ears finally clear, feet awesome, face and neck beautiful .... And all of sudden his sides and back are covered in what I thought were hives (but now I'm not so sure as benedryl had no effect). Can't think of anything new in his environment except that winter here in Cleveland has been very mild so far (just got our first snow...yesterday). I feed him Honest Kitchengrain-free formulas, Origen senior kibble also grain free, and healthy home cooked extras.... Just baffled ...his vet wants him to go on antibiotics for two weeks and that's ok but then I know we're going to have a yeast outbreak ....any and all ideas/ advice are welcome...thanks

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Can you post pics for us? You have him on good food. But still might be food allergy.What are the protein base in his foods. Some start having issues with Chicken.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Yes chicken is protein #1 but he's always done so well on these foods...no more burping and farting...super fit 45 lbs....keeps up with his Weimaraner girlfriend.... Can they develop a food allergy overnight? And shouldn't it present symptoms on face or ears? And I will upload a pic just as soon as I figure out how to....

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Im not sure about developing a food allergy that quick. I know mine cannot tolerate chicken. Hopefully others will chime in here.

ziviabell

May 22, 2011
Orange County, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hershie
Some bullies are allergic to chicken. I stopped feeding mine chicken and her eyes and ears cleared up. Any chance that could be it? I feed mine raw.

Vickiebarrios

Aug 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
My thought was maybe he rolled around in a new area. I know my friend's bully rolled on another friends rug. Then dumped clean laundry on the floor and played with the other dog in the towels. The same thing happened that bought. He was allergic to the detergent used for either the rug or the towels. Keep its posted.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
That's an idea ... I wonder because these things did appear out of no where...he loves a bath so I think I'll just soak him in an oatmeal bath... With the holidays I'll never be able to figure out what touched him ...most everyone loves to pet him and I don't do everyone's laundry...thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello, and welcome to EBN.... once you can upload a pic we will be able to provide more insight, but I do agree it sounds like it could be form a cleaner or detergent.

There is a tutorial on the front page for loading pictures....

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
a lot of dogs are allergic to chicken,my thoughts are the sodium contents that are in the chicken unless free range of course,ive struggled with annies allergies for 9 months now but have come to the conclusion she has yeast overgrowth so am concentrating on yeast,her ears are bad again so am clearing them and start her on bovine colostrum ,i have stopped my favorite apple cider vinegar for now as ive read that in some dogs it can make yeast worse!!!,,ita a mine field trying to figure out what the problem is,karen

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
:welcome: I can't add any advice but just wanted to say hello.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Yes it is a minefield...but they are just so lovable! Started his antibiotics last night and I can already tell he is less itchy. So he got a staph infection on his body b/c of some allergic response that I didn't pick up on quick enough. But after this round of antibiotics we will be fighting the yeast.... But we are well experienced against that enemy. Thanks again... I'm so glad I found this resource.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN, Saalwi. Glad you came here to discuss the issue you are having with Schultz. We all love pix so I hope you get some posted.... at least before the 'Pic Police' come and haul you away!!! LOL Thanx for joining! ;)

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
You might want to look into a blood allergy test. Test revealed that my dog is not allergic to chicken or turkey but is allergic to lamb, venison and pork. The results are a good foundation on what to start eliminating. In my case my dog is allergic to grass and weeds so I frequently have to wash his paws and face and bath once a week with medicated shampoos from the vet.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
All good advice... have a very allergic weimaraner too... who did have all the allergy tests and was allergic to just about everything in Ohio, so with Schultz I just assume he's allergic and try to support his immune system and keep him under the threshold like we do for the weim. What's weird is that wintertime is our season of relief, so I'm liking the foreign chemical theory. We're going sledding later, so he'll forget about being itchy for a few hours....

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well since these things just came up could be something outside that has triggered this. also could be a food allergy. i had sarah have a reaction to a new food 2 months in? how long has he been on these foods? and yes he could have just got into something. i so hope he gets better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online