cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
For the past 6mos or so I've been using Revolution monthly on Tate and Finn, as recommended by my vet. I always dreaded applying this stuff on my boys, particularly Tate, b/c for about 30min after application, he would run around the house acting hyper and anxious, wanting to rub the stuff off of him. Finn was okay with it though. Still, I'm a little reluctant in giving them a dose again b/c , if possible, i'd much prefer something more natural. I'm wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on the subject? I heard apple cider vinegar in their food may be helpful so I will start with that tomorrow.

Thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You know Henny, I thinki remember Gatorray doing a thread on this..or some info at least. I'll search for it omorrow and try to post the link for you. I,also, hate using all that poison!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
It was here that I learned about Apple Cider's many uses...
One of them was its use in your dog's water bowl.
Making your dogs hide more acidic and thus repelling fleas......

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
These home made ideas for repelling fleas are ok but what about the OTHER bugs that the commercial repellants act on besides the fleas? Like TICKS?? Ticks can do more harm than fleas in many cases.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION]

For a 50 lb dog, I'm reading that 1 tablespoon twice a day. Or simply add 2 tablespoons to his water dish ...daily .

Here's an excerpt from http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/acvfordogs.html

"Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. "

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
do they drink it OK.. My dogs don't drink much water as it is since they are raw fed, so I worry a bit they won't like it and won't drink at all and defeat the purpose.. I give them garlic once a week since I am afraid of giving them too much; but I don't think that's even therapeutic

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Use a dropper and just squeeze it into their mouth..
Yea, I dont think the taste is much liked by them.. so lace the tip of the dropper with peanut butter to disguisE the vinegar....

I also read to use ORGANIC APPLE CIDER VINEGAR and not the regular stuff (Heinz) found on the shelves...

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We add it to HRH's water and she never flinches at drinking it. She drinks about a full bowl a day and we put a tablespoon or two in it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We don't use any flea preventative and our bullies do not have fleas. The Heart worm preventative "Sentinal" is also good for fleas, and some intestinal worms.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I put 1 tablespoonfull into each of the boys' food bowls this a.m. w/breakfast. Those two only ate half their food!! So then i added some yogurt and half a hotdog each...they ate more. I'm going to have to disguise the ACV taste better.

[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION], [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION], [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION], thanku for the links, i will check them out...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We don't use any flea preventative and our bullies do not have fleas. The Heart worm preventative "Sentinal" is also good for fleas, and some intestinal worms.

We use the Sentinal, as well. Years ago, we did try an herbal remedy, but goo LORD the odor was so strong (cinnamon, clove) it was nauseating .

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.