Pet Insurance

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I cant' comment too much on VPI ... I did a HUGE amount of research into pet insurance in September 2010 and finally chose Trupanion because it gave the best coverage for the money. Fast forward 1 year and Trupanion more than doubled the premium to a point where it was just ridiculous. They claimed this was due to increasing cost of veterinary services .... I cancelled immediately and voiced my displeasure!!! The customer services woman I had spoken to on the phone then emailed me a long email about why I should keep the pet insurance ... calling Maggie by the wrong name all the way through the email. :down:

Trupanion has left a very bad taste in my mouth!!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i would (did) choose a plan that did not have a limit on any particular disease. Say you had to get cherry eye surgery which cost $1000 and then it needed surgery again, but your $1000 limit per condition prevents you from claiming that again. If should anything come about like cancer, then you would be screwed with the recurring costs. you want something that is per condition PER YEAR, or total amount PER YEAR. not just per condition total. we have petsecure, a high deductable (we would pay $500 (per yea) out of pocket anyway for Lola) but it only costs $53/month. trupanion wanted way too much per month for a bulldog. though i like their coverage approach. hoep this helps.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I hate VPI. I'd go into detail but I'm on my phone and it's hard to type too much. Search for my name and my other dog Jack. Their payment on my $3000 claim when Jack got real sick with H.O.D. was crap. I switched to GoPetPlan for both my dogs and couldn't be happier. I'll check for the link later for you though. This of course is just my personal experience.

Last edited:

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Personnel experience only but I have VPI and I have not had a bad experience with them. Put in over 6 claims last year and have not an issue. Just like everything in life there're good and bad to things and people have had different experiences. Research, listen to what everyone has to say and this is a GREAT place to gather info. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask away

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Ok, what you need to be careful about when selecting a policy is what they 'actually' cover. In my case, Jack's condition was a covered expenses but only for $300+ of a $3000 bill. His condition was covered, but NOT any of the treatment that was needed to save his life that was associated 100% to the condition, they line time the charges/services. Other policies give you a $$ amount and pay a reasonable and customary fee (like when you have a root canal and the Dentist charges $800 and your insurance will only pay $650), not VPI. Now I have GoPetPlan and yes it's a bit more money, but I have $12,000 per year for benefits, no matter what they ailment is. That again is just my experience. But it was my first and with that I was done with them.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have Trupanion. I've not needed it ..knock on wood..but my one year is approaching. I will be interested to see if our premium goes up like [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]! It was one that covered genetic issues and I bought the hip dysplasia coverage too. Whatever you decide..purchase it before your pup gets diagnosed with ANYTHING!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I have Trupanion on both of my dogs, since they were puppies. I have Bertie my english bulldog and Dexter my cocker spaniel. I have had the policy on Dexter for almost 4 years and Bertie's policy is almost 2 years old. I have no deductible at all, so my premium is a little higher, but it is only $111 a month, I was paying about $89 a month. I have the hip dysplasia policy on them both also. Let me tell you, it has paid for itself over and over. Dexter has had both cherry eyes fixed and Bertie has had both eyes done, hernia repaired, soft pallet surgery, stenotic nares opened and it paid for 90% of everything. I have had no problems with getting payments from them and usually within a week...even though they say it takes a couple weeks. I can't say enough good things about Trupanion!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Ooo I am so happy to see these happy Trupanion stories. Bo and Bea are both on Trupanion with the hip dysplasia upcharge. I've never had to use it - thank goodness - I'm grateful to see that others have had a positive experience.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have Trupanion on both of my dogs, since they were puppies. I have Bertie my english bulldog and Dexter my cocker spaniel. I have had the policy on Dexter for almost 4 years and Bertie's policy is almost 2 years old. I have no deductible at all, so my premium is a little higher, but it is only $111 a month, I was paying about $89 a month. I have the hip dysplasia policy on them both also. Let me tell you, it has paid for itself over and over. Dexter has had both cherry eyes fixed and Bertie has had both eyes done, hernia repaired, soft pallet surgery, stenotic nares opened and it paid for 90% of everything. I have had no problems with getting payments from them and usually within a week...even though they say it takes a couple weeks. I can't say enough good things about Trupanion!

Yayyyyyyy! Thanks for this! I do expect some change in premiums but was getting very concerned! Love hearing they are as good as I was told!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have a $500 deductible...decided I can cover that and was really trying for lower premiums..it will be interesting when my year comes up. But..I'm certain I'll stick with them, just feel for the first time EVER, I need insurance on Jake!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
we have gopetplan
now they are WONDERFUL.. they paid 80 % of Duke's 3000 + eye surgery , paid for allergy testing etc.. BUT this renewal January 2012 our premiums just jumped to 84 per month.. hubby and I are trying to weigh what to do? we have a 200 ded per condition.. we were thinking of banking the 84 a month premium BUT now reading this thread what if in one month he had a problem with his hips!! ???? I don't know what to do? we were paying 55 a month.. Duke is 4 and like I said they are super nice, very quick to pay, no complaints but its a lot of money.. Add in his million dollar food we feed him and his insurance and food is like a car payment each month! :ROFL:

Last edited by a moderator:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we have gopetplan now they are WONDERFUL.. they paid 80 % of Duke's 3000 + eye surgery , paid for allergy testing etc.. BUT this renewal January 2012 our premiums just jumped to 84 per month.. hubby and I are trying to weigh what to do? we have a 200 ded per condition.. we were thinking of banking the 84 a month premium BUT now reading this thread what if in one month he had a problem with his hips!! ???? I don't know what to do? we were paying 55 a month.. Duke is 4 and like I said they are super nice, very quick to pay, no complaints but its a lot of money.. Add in his million dollar food we feed him and his insurance and food is like a car payment each month! :ROFL:

Ah, the joy$ of owning a bullgog :laugh:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.