Supplements

Obi2011

Dec 31, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Obi
I have a question about supplements. Does my bully need them and if so what type are recommended. He currently eating Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. His breeder recommended that we stay with fish because it will help with any skin issues. I've looked at a ton of different web sites and have received just as many answers. From what I can tell, a lot of the breeder's sites recommend NuVet Plus. I just want to make sure I'm doing the best for Obi. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
IMG00334-20111231-1643.jpg

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Oh my Obi is pretty!

We feed HRH Fromm beef Frittata and a tablespoon of Greek yogurt a fish oil pill and a cranberry pill every day.
She has exhibited issues when we have given her salmon. No expert here, this is just what we have done and it works for us.

There is a tutorial section here that rates all the different dog foods so that might be something that could help you figure out the set steps to take for Obi.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Obi is sooo cute!!! I'm no expert. I feed bubba california natural lamb and rice, greek yogurt and fish oil. He doens't have any skin issues with what I am giving him. The fish oil also cuts the shedding wayyyy down!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
taste of the wild is good food so that should be ok. i give sarah salmon oil on her food and joint meds because of a torn acl but she is 5 so yours probably wont need that now. also a teaspoonful of yogurt. that all i do with her.

OP
Obi2011

Obi2011

Dec 31, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Obi
Thanks for the compliment and your bully(s) are also beautiful. How many do you have? It looks like the same dog in both pics but I see the name Zelda and Gracie. Obi is not only our first bulldog but our first family dog (real pet). Trying to get the potty training/crate training thing down right now. I'll be very happy when he gets it (potty outside). I know, patience, he's only 9 weeks. Thanks again for the advice.

OP
Obi2011

Obi2011

Dec 31, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Obi
So how do I get fish oil. Is this something I get in some type of squeeze bottle at the grocery store?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We give ours Heartypet tabs and Salmon oil, and feed FROMM, so far so good.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola is still a pup, 8 months, and we give her ester C, vitamin E, and calcium supplements almost daily. instead of calcium we sometimes crush eggshells and put them in cream cheese. we feed fromm currently, but we're still looking for a kibble that lola will devour

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So how do I get fish oil. Is this something I get in some type of squeeze bottle at the grocery store?

You can get fish oil pills in the vitamin aisle at the Target, Walmart, etc.

I also feed Fromm Beef and give a tablespoon of plain yogurt with a 1200 mg fish oil pill

OP
Obi2011

Obi2011

Dec 31, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Obi
Thank you all for all of your advice. My wife actually has fish oil, so I'll use that. Does anyone know anything NuVet Plus?

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We have been giving Frank a NuVet Plus tablet, one every few days, since he was six months or so. We were also using the NuVet joint tablet but will probably just use fish oil instead because he doesn't really seem to have any problems walking or running or jumping. He gets fed Fromm Beef Frittata and Surf n' Turf, alternating months. I know some people think it isn't necessary to supplement if you are feeding really good food, but I figure it couldn't hurt to give him a supplement every few days to makes sure he is getting everything he needs. NuVet is also made in the U.S. and I don't think there are any ingredients from China in it, which has also been a safety concern lately.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Our bullys get Fromm 4* range .. I personally prefer the grain free Surf n Turf or the Beef Frittata only because the tear stains seem to disappear.

I've been using the Grizzly salmon oil on their food for about a year now, and the difference in the softness and shine on their coats are very noticeable.

We only just got Linus ... and it's been recommended that he have the NuVet Plus for at least the first year of his life. I have no past experience of using it so I can't really comment, but [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] will be able to give you a lot more info on it!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.