OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
At 2 he may be starting with arthritis... are you giving him any supplements? Have you thought about trying Fromm grain free? Why chicken - is he allergic to anything?

Even if he has never had anything wrong with his back legs?
We are giving him human fish oil and the vet gave us some glucosamine but he hates it!! He won't eat his food if I break it up small and put it in there, nor will he eat it w any cheese! Jeff has been givin him human glucosamine that he takes. Im thinking about it but trying to find something that I don't have to order but might have to. He loves chicken!! Doesn't like salmon potatoes etc, He's just a chicken boy lol. I have noticed he does way better on grain free, no tear stains or itching and he loves the blue wilderness.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Even if he has never had anything wrong with his back legs? We are giving him human fish oil and the vet gave us some glucosamine but he hates it!! He won't eat his food if I break it up small and put it in there, nor will he eat it w any cheese! Jeff has been givin him human glucosamine that he takes. Im thinking about it but trying to find something that I don't have to order but might have to. He loves chicken!! Doesn't like salmon potatoes etc, He's just a chicken boy lol. I have noticed he does way better on grain free, no tear stains or itching and he loves the blue wilderness.

Yes, arthritis just starts up.. even if they always had no issues. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can help with finding a grain free chicken food - she is queen of the ingredients! As for giving him human supplement -- just fine, that is what we do. Also, lactose free vanilla ice cream teaspoon to cover the pill --- works EVERY time. If he does find the pill.. give a little without a pill.. then some with the pill.. them another smidgin' without -- till he just starts to take the one hiding the pill.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Hmmm it's really hard to tell ... I agree with the others, go with your gut! If you will feel better bringing him back to the vet, go for it! Also, we use peanut butter for anything chunk won't take. He licks the spoon til it's clean so anything in it gets eaten no matter what! Just a thought.

And I love that squishy face!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
A few days ago Wilson got up with a limp in one leg. He didn't even want to put any pressure on it for a couple of hours. He's a big and tall bullie and has never presented any limb problems. I increased his glucosamine anyway but I think he probably pulled a muscle cuz he spooks easily and could of moved too fast. He did this when he was a puppy but healed in a couple of days. He is completely back to normal now. Lex totally has that look that my dogs have when I bring out the camera. Don't know why they hate it but they do. After watching the video I can see he is walking carefully. Whatever is hurting them is still healing so give it some time. Hugs for you as I know how it feels when our bullies are not acting themselves.

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
A few days ago Wilson got up with a limp in one leg. He didn't even want to put any pressure on it for a couple of hours. He's a big and tall bullie and has never presented any limb problems. I increased his glucosamine anyway but I think he probably pulled a muscle cuz he spooks easily and could of moved too fast. He did this when he was a puppy but healed in a couple of days. He is completely back to normal now. Lex totally has that look that my dogs have when I bring out the camera. Don't know why they hate it but they do. After watching the video I can see he is walking carefully. Whatever is hurting them is still healing so give it some time. Hugs for you as I know how it feels when our bullies are not acting themselves.
Thanks! How is Wilson doing now?

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Thanks guys glad to know we are giving him the right meds and giving him lots of bed rest, every once in a while ill let him play pretty good, of course monitor him. I will contact [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and talk to her about his food choices. I do think he is still stiff and to me it seems like he pops his hips.
On the glucosamine I have tried cheese turkey but have not done peanut butter I will try that!! I even broke it up so fine it was like powder in his food and he still wouldn't touch it!

I will post the video of him walking the day we went to see vet

Last edited:

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Thanks guys glad to know we are giving him the right meds and giving him lots of bed rest, every once in a while ill let him play pretty good, of course monitor him. I will contact @cowsmom and talk to her about his food choices. I do think he is still stiff and to me it seems like he pops his hips.
On the glucosamine I have tried cheese turkey but have not done peanut butter I will try that!! I even broke it up so fine it was like powder in his food and he still wouldn't touch it!

I will post the video of him walking the day we went to see vet

Try a hotdog if all else fails. Lex is all handsome!! I love his smooshy face (oh, he has a cute bully butt too):luv:
I am glad Matilda was asleep or she would of seen Lex. :lol:
Oh, I have also found something else if fish oil isn't working for some bully babies. :heart:

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
thanks, what else works besides fish oil?

Try a hotdog if all else fails. Lex is all handsome!! I love his smooshy face (oh, he has a cute bully butt too):luv:
I am glad Matilda was asleep or she would of seen Lex. :lol:
Oh, I have also found something else if fish oil isn't working for some bully babies.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I added the video for you!

[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION]
This may not be anywhere close to the same type of situation....but I have to tell you about Vegas. Vegas weighed in at 68 pounds 1 1/2 years ago. With his medicine..he tends to make him hungry and having seizures makes him forage for food. Vegas started limping pretty badly, favoring his back leg. I was almost certain that he had a torn ACL, in fact I even posted about it a few times.

We put Vegas on the stew diet and he is now down to 52 pounds. In the last year and 1/2 he has not ONCE favored his leg or limped. Not once. So, weight could be an issue. I tried finding a video of him limping...but could not locate one at this time.

Hope he continues to get better! Love you Lex!

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Is there any improvement??

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
[MENTION=1041]lexterwayne[/MENTION] I use cold milled golden flaxseed. It is in a powder form and you can find it in the vitamin section of your local pharmacy. I put a tablespoon of that in matilda's food once a day. :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.