cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
On Tuesday Tate ate a tennis ball. I came home to find he had thrown up several times and there were rubber bits mixed in. Since that night I think he's only passed 1 hard stool. No more vomiting, eating great, acts very normal just the constipation. Any ideas on what I can do to alleviate this? I gave him pumpkin this am hoping that will help. Thanks.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's what I was going to suggest first, is the pumpkin, hope it works and no rubber pieces are stuck. :eek:

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Would also try pumpkin. Watch him closely. If he starts to strain to take a bowl movement or squats and changes positions several times I would call the vet. Also if he starts to vomit you need to make sure the vet takes a look at him. From personal experience ...my Lucy ate a tennis ball. She never threw it up. The ER vet said that tennis balls are tricky because the glue will adhere to felt therefore causing a large piece of felt that could cause an obstruction.

From what you have described it sounds like he is acting normal. I guess it is also possible he is a little behind on his bowl movement schedule because of the vomiting.

Just keep an eye on him. If he starts acting weird call the vet to be sure.

We will pray for poop!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, yes, I'll definitely keep monitoring him. I too was thinking he didn't poo b/c of the throwing up episode which was a pretty big amount. Ugh.I'll see how the pumpkin works out for him before i try anything else. [MENTION=2659]nyerathrt[/MENTION], haven't tried mineral oil but will keep this one in mind as well.Thanku for all the feedback, everyone. Much appreciated! :)

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] Im hoping fort he best for your Tate. This brought memories back when Jack swallowed a bra strap and a large piece of a throw blanket....
He was puking for a few days until I finally had to take him in.....

Let us know how it goes tonite....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yeah -- I'd be at the vet.. could be a blockage

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I agree with all the above, I would not rush him to the vet, but by tonight and in the morning if he is not pooping I would take him in. Keep us updated please!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh Henny!

Ace has eaten his share of tennis balls over the years. Being a Pit he can rip just about anything apart (not people of course, ha!). If Tate is not having any stool movements take him in right away. I have dealt with this very problem for nearly 11 years now. What you need to do is watch Tate for two weeks up to a month (even if he's having a stool movement) and if you see something foreign come out either end that you don't recognize you'll know what it is. The stomach will change the looks of rubber from the ball and the color of the felt on the tennis ball and sometimes the pieces will just stay in the stomach and not come out but Tate may appear just fine. There have been many times where Ace swallowed chewed off parts of balls and he seemed just fine and either threw them up a month later or pooped it out a month later and we were like where'd that come from and then we remembered.

The bigger pieces of rubber when it's left behind in the stomach will harden and curl up. Most likely he'll be just fine but do keep a close eye on both ends! Ace has eaten more pieces of tennis balls and basketballs than I can count.

Watch Take VERY closely and if he is not having a movement or just small ones in the next day, or two, take him to the vet for an xray.

Isn't the idea of pumpkin to firm up the stool if it's loose? I'm still learning so go easy on me with that one. ;)

Those dang boys of ours I tell ya, it's what I like to call "Never Ending." :)

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] Pumpkin is like a wonder drug ... firms them up if they are loose, and loosens up if they are constipated!!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], thanks! I just always thought it was for firmig stools, and of course other health benefits. Never would have thought I could be used for loosening too. Learn something new everyday.

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], thanks! I just always thought it was for firmig stools, and of course other health benefits. Never would have thought I could be used for loosening too. Learn something new everyday.

That's exactly what I thought too! Good to know..

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo likes to eat tennis balls too.....another toy scratched from the "can do" list......ugh.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everybody! Tate had a stupendous :poo: last night and this morning! :):happydance:

I agree, pumpkin is a wonder "drug"!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.