Yeast infection in ear?

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
So while I was wiping Roscoe's face today I noticed waxy stuff caked under his ear. When I lifted his ear up I noticed he had a very thin waxy substance running out of his ear. There's so much of his his ear actually makes a...squelchy noise when I rub it. I've been wiping it out but it just won't stop. His ear is also very red and stinky.

Is this a yeast infection or a general ear infection? I've never dealt with yeast before so I don't know what to look for.

We're making a trip to the vet tomorrow (Thurs) if he can fit us in. I'm just curious if anyone could hazard a guess on what wrong.

I know the picture is quite icky- so sorry! This was about five minutes after I'd wiped the discharge out. He's getting very upset with momma messing with his ear.

IMG_0086.jpg

Last edited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
annie has only had 1 ear infection and it was due to bathing obviously water got in her ear,it did take antibiotics to clear it,i dont bath her now as shes not a stinky dog well only when shes farting!!!,i now use apple cider vinegar once a week and her ears are fine,so your right to visit the vet if the infection is a bad one anitbiotics will clear it and when bathing be sure to plug the ears up well,karen

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Thanks [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]! I bet that's what has happened. I just gave him a bath a few days ago and I noticed he shook one of his cotton balls out at some point because I found it in the tub. I didn't even think anything about it. Oops :ashamed:.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i dont bath annie now i just brush her down ,bathing too much depleats all the oils ,if you bath again dont forget to dry under the tail as thats another problem area if its not kept clean and dry,karen

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
My first guess is food!! I have seen dogs that vets have called immune disoder syndrome ! and the owner almost put them down. 6 weeks later no one recognized them!!!!!

please folks --the quickest,CHEAPEST way to fix any possible issues,, try FROMM 4 star ,food, and wait 6 weeks. it cant hurt, is a lot cheaper- and at the end you have a great food at leas !!! and they will at least be better to go see the vet!!!
remember !!! vets have very little nutritional training. (they are there for medical training!! but they listen to pet food salesmen !!(like car salesman!)and believe them. while she needs a vet check, please try the food first for 6 weeks.
you can get it delivered to your front door from --petfood direct.com-- and don't forget to add English Bulldog as the CODE -and rescue gets a % back. good luck , and let us know.

PS: I wouls bet if she is that bad she likely has a yeast infection too.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help but I am glad you are seeing a vet today. My gosh it looks painful. Poor thing. If it is yeast and not ear infection it could be from food. Actually I believe ear infections can also be brought on by food allergies but could be wrong on that one. Let us know what the vet says.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Looks like both yeast and infection. While at your vets buy the ear flush. I use it on Vegas once a week and it cleans them right out. Make sure to do it outside, pour the solution down in their ear, massage it in real good for a minute or more...then stand back!! Vegas shakes his head like crazy sending the solution flying. After a few hours you can use a baby wipe and wipe the remaining gunk out and his ears are fresh and pink. The solution smells like cucumber melon. When I bath Vegas I wash his whole body but not his head. I use a washclothe for his face and head so not to get water in his ears.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
just about everything is brought on by food allergies/reactions. fur loss,inter digital cysts(those big blisters that pop, between toes,) yeast in ears,paws,vaginal areas,all over body yeast , itching & licking paws.
just about every thing can and often is because of food allergies!! not just the meat in the food, but the other ingredients, and or the quality of those ingredients. AND how the food was made !!! yes Bulldogs are THAT REACTIVE to food !!!
so when choosing food for them, remember. go ONLY with the best for BULLDOGS not just any rated dog food!!! that food may have been rated for LABRADOR RETRIEVER!!!!!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
just about everything is brought on by food allergies/reactions. fur loss,inter digital cysts(those big blisters that pop, between toes,) yeast in ears,paws,vaginal areas,all over body yeast , itching & licking paws.
just about every thing can and often is because of food allergies!! not just the meat in the food, but the other ingredients, and or the quality of those ingredients. AND how the food was made !!! yes Bulldogs are THAT REACTIVE to food !!!
so when choosing food for them, remember. go ONLY with the best for BULLDOGS not just any rated dog food!!! that food may have been rated for LABRADOR RETRIEVER!!!!!!
[MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION], So very true, although Vegas still occasionally gets spots of yeast it is nothing like before the food change over a year and a half ago, I was just about to re-home him he stunk so bad and my whole house did...then I found this site!!! Food makes all the difference in the world with these bully's.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
becomforted by teh fact that it is not the water in the ears. I used to believe that too, I actually squirt the water in ther and wiggle the ear around , while bathing . the warm water feels good to them , and follow it up with the acidic,ear solution and work it around. the issue with ears is making sure to fully dry them after the bath, and dry them again, I use make up squares to get them dry and the water absorbed. I also during the week use a 50/50 mix of water /apple cider vinegar solution. this keeps the ears from ever having yeast infections-- ever!!!! at least 2 x a week add any acidic liquid and it keeps the ear to high in acid to have a yeast in the ears. I use an acidic ear cleaner . take note!! if starting out with a yeast infection !!! you must clear it up with antibiotics first then keep it at bay with the mixture!!!!
and this can clean up a whole body yeast issue to, right after a bath , rinse with this solution!!! for several weeks 4 t 5 .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3197]kayrahbear[/MENTION] how did it go at the vet?

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
It didn't go very well. It is a yeast infection. He gave me Tresaderm drops. The vet said Roscoe has a small mass in his ear canal as well- which is what's causing all of the waxy discharge. We're going back next Tuesday for a needle biopsy to see if we can pinpoint what exactly is going on in there.

Hopefully it's nothing but a little benign nodule.

As to food allergies. I just started Roscoe on raw a few weeks ago. Could that be causing the yeast?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It didn't go very well. It is a yeast infection. He gave me Tresaderm drops. The vet said Roscoe has a small mass in his ear canal as well- which is what's causing all of the waxy discharge. We're going back next Tuesday for a needle biopsy to see if we can pinpoint what exactly is going on in there. Hopefully it's nothing but a little benign nodule. As to food allergies. I just started Roscoe on raw a few weeks ago. Could that be causing the yeast?

Sorry to hear about the mass... keep us posted on haow it goes. Tresaderm is GREAT stuff.. works quick and has many, many uses.

I am tagging some of the raw feeders to help with your food question [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I doubt very much it's the food change that is doing this if you only changed to raw a few weeks ago. I'm assuming you made the change to raw because you were having problems with the kibble .. well if he has yeast it's mroe likely from the kibble because even though you change foods it does take a while for the old feed to get completely out of their system.

I'm glad you have medication for it now ... the drops should start to help him soon!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online