Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yeast infection in ear?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Roscoe
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Yeast infection in ear?

It didn't go very well. It is a yeast infection. He gave me Tresaderm drops. The vet said Roscoe has a small mass in his ear canal as well- which is what's causing all of the waxy discharge. We're going back next Tuesday for a needle biopsy to see if we can pinpoint what exactly is going on in there.

Hopefully it's nothing but a little benign nodule.

As to food allergies. I just started Roscoe on raw a few weeks ago. Could that be causing the yeast?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kayrahbear View Post
    It didn't go very well. It is a yeast infection. He gave me Tresaderm drops. The vet said Roscoe has a small mass in his ear canal as well- which is what's causing all of the waxy discharge. We're going back next Tuesday for a needle biopsy to see if we can pinpoint what exactly is going on in there. Hopefully it's nothing but a little benign nodule. As to food allergies. I just started Roscoe on raw a few weeks ago. Could that be causing the yeast?
    Sorry to hear about the mass... keep us posted on haow it goes. Tresaderm is GREAT stuff.. works quick and has many, many uses.

I am tagging some of the raw feeders to help with your food question @savemejeebus @karenben
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I doubt very much it's the food change that is doing this if you only changed to raw a few weeks ago. I'm assuming you made the change to raw because you were having problems with the kibble .. well if he has yeast it's mroe likely from the kibble because even though you change foods it does take a while for the old feed to get completely out of their system.

I'm glad you have medication for it now ... the drops should start to help him soon!!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have been told that there's a detox phase when our pups switch to raw. Think of it as their body releasing all the bad stuff out while they're taking in the good stuff. It can range from very mild to something stronger and the length of time varies too. Some experience the itchies while others gets eye crusties and tear up more. The only change we noticed with Stig was the thick and dark earwax. We would need to clean his ears every couple of days. Then it gradually decreased. Now we rarely need to clean it.

Can't say I noticed much with Punkin though. His ears were full of yeast when we first got him and needed steroids to get it under control.

Sorry to hear about the mass. Praying that it's nothing and he'll be back to his normal healthy self.
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 12-22-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

on raw they can at first shed more,eye boogers,cannon butt,ear discharge,so dont worry about these things sometimes they last a few days and sometimes a few weeks its all part of getting rid of all the rubbish in kibble,every kibble has an amount of rubbish in it so you have done the right thing going raw,one thing i would say is that when feeding chicken soak it for 30 mins just in case its sodium enhanced as ive noticed a difference in annie when i dont soak the chicken inc backs/frames she itches !!,also my vet said water in the ears does cause infection its because of the shape of the ear canal so even though some think its not a cause if you bathe your dog plug the ears well its best to be on the safe side ,karen

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

actually im wondering if they didnt have the infection before the change to raw but just didnt show up as bad. im glad you got some drops for it. im hoping that the mass is nothing. keep us updated on how it is going. merry christmas. also i dont do sarahs head when i bathe her i do that separate after the bath. good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads