What is this on George's chin?

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
We thought George had acne on his chin. Well one of the "pimples" popped and was bleeding. Well one led to another and another and another and now he has this bloody/scabbed chin. Of course he is an active boy and the scabs are constantly being pulled off. I have tried keeping triple antibiotic and vaseline on his chine to keep dirt out of it and to act as barrier but he wipes it off; I even tried a bandaid which he ate?!

chin_1.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Acne..... are you using stainless steel bowls? Ceramic and plastic can cause this... also, switch to filter water that adds to the problem. Could also be allergy related (food or environmental) and you can ask your vet to do a full screen blood test to give you a list of what to avoid.

OP
Kristin

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
We have been using stainless steel bowls since he was a puppy, after thinking about this for a few minutes it makes more sense.

This all started a few weeks ago, and this was about the same time we put up the christmas tree. George loves to drink the water from the christmas tree bowl, but we ususlly give him water from the filter pitcher. We have now covered up the tree water bowl so he can not drink from it anymore.

Another note, we tried to switch his food about the same time. He was scratching alot and had issues going #2 with his Science Diet puppy. I looked around and found alot of people feeding Blue Wilderness salmon, so we tried it. George did not do so well, we started with a 75% Science Diet blend and then transitioned to a 50% mix, once we did this we noticed that he began to get an upset tummy and a bad case of gas. We returned the salmon and then tried the same thing with Blue Wilderness chicken forumula. We have been on a 50/50 blend of Science diet and Blue Wilderness and are almost thru a 4.5lb bag. I was thinking it may be the chicken, so I was considering a switch to Fromm Beef Frittata (grain free). I really don't want to keep switching food, does anyone have any advice to help poor George?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Switching from a horrid food to a pretty good food will almost always cause an upset tummy and gas. It should resolve after a week or so on a full transition. The bumps could be either the tree water (most likely) or the food, maybe a combination of both.

If you have any acne pads or witch hazel you could put it on them. Just try your best to keep those bumps clean and dry.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Kristin...I feel your pain! Jake is sensitive to chicken..and I think also salmon. We tried Fromm surf n turf and he wasn't doing well..I switched to the beef frittata and it was much better. I still think there is room for improvement..but I tried the NVI salmon and he immediately had a bad reaction. Pink swollen pads on his feet and poor guy was itchy nd has bumps under his fur. And this was with a mixture of 1/4 new and 3/4 old. Went back to the beef frittata and going to stay for awhile. I hate the switching! [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is very good at helping pick out food.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
dont forget that bulldogs play so rough and always scrape their chins mine does it all the time,i clean her chin with sterile water and apply nappy rash cream and that does the trick,also i dry her chin after eating/drinking,karen

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Hiya Kristin :) How old is George now? Just curious. lol You've gotten some good advice and I have nothing to add but it sure would be nice to see some new pix of the little fella.. ;)

Most Reactions