Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 25

Thread: Huge mites problem

  1. #1
    Newbie bullerik's Avatar
    Posts
    6
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Huge mites problem

    Hello, I'm from South Florida in US and I've been going through hell since early July. My bully, Beefy (almost 1 year now), was diagnosed with "mites" and at the time I didn't have any insurance other than a Banfield Insurance (for those who don't know Banfield is a petcare clinic at Petsmart). Being this my first time owning a dog and thinking I was good enough with Banfield, I stayed with them and went through with their suggested treatment to stop the mites.

    They first gave him medicated baths every week which was $125 every time. The estimated time to recover was 4-6 weeks (depending on dog). As the time came by I saw no signs of the mites stopping and instead I saw it becoming worse, so I set up an appointment with the vet to change the treatment into something possibly more effective. After small talk, we decided on giving him a Ivermectin (a red liquid) by mouth daily. This method was cheaper than baths but eventually had no improvement and had some bad side effects. His eyes became dilated and the vet immediately stopped it. With no other choice, we went back on the baths. 3 months later, a total of 5 months under treatment, he still is getting the mites. At some point, vet prescribed Beefy antibiotics (2 times a day 500mg each) and seemed to help a little but then vet told me to stop because it was too much for him (7~ months at the time).

    I'm at the point of going crazy because I feel my bully isn't happy since I see him scratching all the time. I can see it's really irritating him a lot. I don't know what else to do and money is getting really tight. I've spent almost $4000 trying to fix this and still no effect. Worst part is AKC insurance isn't planning to cover it because this was a issue before getting the insurance.

    He eats Blue Wilderness Salmon and yam treats and I believe this is healthy enough. I never really supplemented him with vitamins although vet suggested there was no need.

    Do you guys know what I can do? Are there home remedies or something? What changes can I make? HELP!
    Last edited by bullerik; 12-21-2011 at 03:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    BabyDuke's Avatar
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    1,212
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Huge mites problem

    oh my.. Welcome to the site.. I don't have any experience with mites but do have experience spending tons of cash to figure out skin issues. Where are you from? Would you consider another vet? also @JAKEISGREAT always refers people to a plan .. forget the name for financing these bills.

    I feel terrible for you. Duke had very bad skin issues. We finally gave up on the reg vet and took him to a dermatolgoist and ever since we got to the bottom and he has a regimin now that keeps him scratch free.

    I know others will chime in.. hang in there..

  3. #3
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    I have no exp with mites, I am assuming you are speaking of mange? If so, which type are they? There are many here with exp. with mange, so hang tight until they chime in.

    Your food is a good food BUT if it is something your bully is allergic to, it will supress the immune system and cause the mites to attack.

    I would first seek out a dermatologist and run allergy tests so you know what you are up against. Because whatever you are doing now does not appear to be working.

    Adding salmon oil will help boost immune system, get some asap. You can get it at carolina pet pantry or petflow.

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  4. #4
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Huge mites problem

    I'm lucky enough to not have any experience with mange ... but I know a lot of people on here have so hang on in there and I'm sure that somebody will respond soon.

    I do know that mange can come from a suppressed immune system so there is no harm in adding some salmon oil ... we use the Grizzly salmon oil ... as that is very good for super-boosting the immune system.

    Hope somebody logs on soon and is able to help you!!!

  5. #5
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Huge mites problem

    Oh my..I'm so sorry for all the trouble you've been having. Your poor Beefy must have been feeling horrible. I don't have specific mange experience,but I know we have some who have. It's just waiting for them to find this. It seems to me, there is a much better treatment than the baths. May also ask what food he is on? Food is such an important quotient of a healthy immune system, which of course is a problem with mange.are you certain he isn't suffering from an allergy..maybe food related? A second opinion, by a good Bulldog vet, will save you money and poor Beefy the itching he has had. As far as the insurance goes,I have Trupanion,which does cover hereditary problems. But I'm pretty sure the mange or mites you are currently dealing with, would not be covered because it is existing? They would have if your policy had been in force at time of diagnosis, just like most of them.i will do a search and see if I can direct some help to you quickly. Please don't get discouraged, someone will be along to give you advice. I'm so glad you found us and from now on I'm sure we can help.


    I just saw Babyduke asked about Carecredit. It's a great way to help pay for your vet bills. Interest free,works like a credit card. Can apply on line or even at the vets!

    Oyyyyyy..I see you feed Blue Buffalo..which is a good food..unless your dog is sensitive to salmon..which mine is. Just a thought!
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 12-21-2011 at 03:48 PM.

  6. #6
    Newbie bullerik's Avatar
    Posts
    6
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Huge mites problem

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    I have no exp with mites, I am assuming you are speaking of mange? If so, which type are they? There are many here with exp. with mange, so hang tight until they chime in.

    Your food is a good food BUT if it is something your bully is allergic to, it will supress the immune system and cause the mites to attack.

    I would first seek out a dermatologist and run allergy tests so you know what you are up against. Because whatever you are doing now does not appear to be working.

    Adding salmon oil will help boost immune system, get some asap. You can get it at carolina pet pantry or petflow.
    Thanks for your reply. I googled Carolina pet pantry and came across a grizzly salmon oil. Would I just have to just pour the indicated amount on the food or do I give it to him after?

    As for the dermatologist, does it have to be a dermatologist for animals or what? If so where can I find a list of suggested dermatologist for bullies?

  7. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    savemejeebus's Avatar
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    6,208
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    230
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Huge mites problem

    Hi there. If you're referring to mange, my Stig used to have it when we first brought him home due to his allergies. As members before me mentioned, it was a secondary reaction due to his allergies suppressing his immune system. We struggled for a couple of months with no success. The vets gave us antibiotics and 6 weeks worth of a heartworm drug called Interceptor which was to directly fight off the mange. It wasn't cheap, but they said it was safest for a 6 month old bully. But in the middle of treatment, and getting restless from waiting for results, we changed his food to raw. It cleared everything within a week to my amazement and the vet insisted that we can cease giving him the rest of the meds. It was only then when we found out that he was very sensitive to most kibble.

    You may find that changing his food will benefit him. There are a few here that a lot of members recommend. I find that a lot of our bullies here are very sensitive to a lot of things and have constant allergies. Finding the right food for him, along with supplements such as probiotics (plain yogurt, specific probiotic pills, etc) and salmon oil, will assist him boost his immune system. I'd stop giving him treats and do a proper food trial. Doing an allergy test is great advice as well.

    To help with the itchies, I bathe my guy with an oatmeal and aloe shampoo, and rinse with a vinegar/water solution after rinsing the suds off with water. We continue this regimen to this day with both Stig and Punkin.
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 12-21-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

  8. #8
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bullerik View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I googled Carolina pet pantry and came across a grizzly salmon oil. Would I just have to just pour the indicated amount on the food or do I give it to him after?

    As for the dermatologist, does it have to be a dermatologist for animals or what? If so where can I find a list of suggested dermatologist for bullies?
    I would call a few vets in your area and get a recommendation on a vet dermatologist, or a great bully vet. We have a list on here veteranarian recommendations if one is close to you?

    The salmon oil goes right on top of the food.

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  9. #9
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RescueMe's Avatar
    Location
    Chaffee, MO
    Posts
    1,438
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Huge mites problem

    You can also get a cream called Goodwinol off Amazon. That stuff is amazing. Got rid of my twos mange quick.

  10. #10
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    sheshistory's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    3,432
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)
    249

    Default Re: Huge mites problem

    Hi there...both of my current bullies had mange so I have some experience here.

    Coincidentally, Linus and Truman both go to Banfield Pet Hospital so I can assure you that it isn't the vet's fault - something is definitely going on here.

    Linus had a severe case of mites, which I let go too long because I had no idea what they were - and he also had the baths every few weeks and it cleared up.

    Truman has a less severe case and was treated with Invermectin (which is the same medication in many heartworm medications) over the span of 45 days and it also cleared up.

    Something is definitely amiss with your bully other than the mites - probably some kind of allergy/immune problem - which you need to get to the bottom of because mites get the upper hand because the immune system is compromised.

    I'm not sure what else to say other than the mites are probably a symptom of a larger issue. I would ask your vet about testing your bully for allergies to see what might be bothering him so you can get on top of the mites.

    This is a tough one...I'm sorry I am not much help. What does your vet say the next step is? Did they try a prednisone shot?

    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

  11. #11
    Drool Catcher Gold bullies's Avatar
    Location
    Dayton Ohio
    Posts
    220
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Huge mites problem

    I get my Interceptor from petmeds.com costs a little less than at the vet's.

  12. #12
    Newbie bullerik's Avatar
    Posts
    6
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefy
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Huge mites problem

    Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    Hi there. If you're referring to mange, my Stig used to have it when we first brought him home due to his allergies. As members before me mentioned, it was a secondary reaction due to his allergies suppressing his immune system. We struggled for a couple of months with no success. The vets gave us antibiotics and 6 weeks worth of a heartworm drug called Interceptor which was to directly fight off the mange. It wasn't cheap, but they said it was safest for a 6 month old bully. But in the middle of treatment, and getting restless from waiting for results, we changed his food to raw. It cleared everything within a week to my amazement and the vet insisted that we can cease giving him the rest of the meds. It was only then when we found out that he was very sensitive to most kibble.

    You may find that changing his food will benefit him. There are a few here that a lot of members recommend. I find that a lot of our bullies here are very sensitive to a lot of things and have constant allergies. Finding the right food for him, along with supplements such as probiotics (plain yogurt, specific probiotic pills, etc) and salmon oil, will assist him boost his immune system. I'd stop giving him treats and do a proper food trial. Doing an allergy test is great advice as well.

    To help with the itchies, I bathe my guy with an oatmeal and aloe shampoo, and rinse with a vinegar/water solution after rinsing the suds off with water. We continue this regimen to this day with both Stig and Punkin.
    By raw food, do you mean wet food?

    Beefy was originally on Science Diet Lamb as suggested by breeder, then switched to wet food, and finally on Blue Wilderness Salmon. None seemed to help because there was always new spots coming out on his skin.

    To help with itching, I've been buying a medicated powder and a spray which is applied directly on the spots to help. Again, none of those items helped.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •