Huge mites problem

bullerik

Oct 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefy
Hello, I'm from South Florida in US and I've been going through hell since early July. My bully, Beefy (almost 1 year now), was diagnosed with "mites" and at the time I didn't have any insurance other than a Banfield Insurance (for those who don't know Banfield is a petcare clinic at Petsmart). Being this my first time owning a dog and thinking I was good enough with Banfield, I stayed with them and went through with their suggested treatment to stop the mites.

They first gave him medicated baths every week which was $125 every time. The estimated time to recover was 4-6 weeks (depending on dog). As the time came by I saw no signs of the mites stopping and instead I saw it becoming worse, so I set up an appointment with the vet to change the treatment into something possibly more effective. After small talk, we decided on giving him a Ivermectin (a red liquid) by mouth daily. This method was cheaper than baths but eventually had no improvement and had some bad side effects. His eyes became dilated and the vet immediately stopped it. With no other choice, we went back on the baths. 3 months later, a total of 5 months under treatment, he still is getting the mites. At some point, vet prescribed Beefy antibiotics (2 times a day 500mg each) and seemed to help a little but then vet told me to stop because it was too much for him (7~ months at the time).

I'm at the point of going crazy because I feel my bully isn't happy since I see him scratching all the time. I can see it's really irritating him a lot. I don't know what else to do and money is getting really tight. I've spent almost $4000 trying to fix this and still no effect. Worst part is AKC insurance isn't planning to cover it because this was a issue before getting the insurance.

He eats Blue Wilderness Salmon and yam treats and I believe this is healthy enough. I never really supplemented him with vitamins although vet suggested there was no need.

Do you guys know what I can do? Are there home remedies or something? What changes can I make? HELP!

Last edited:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
oh my.. Welcome to the site.. I don't have any experience with mites but do have experience spending tons of cash to figure out skin issues. Where are you from? Would you consider another vet? also [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] always refers people to a plan .. forget the name for financing these bills.

I feel terrible for you. Duke had very bad skin issues. We finally gave up on the reg vet and took him to a dermatolgoist and ever since we got to the bottom and he has a regimin now that keeps him scratch free.

I know others will chime in.. hang in there.. :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have no exp with mites, I am assuming you are speaking of mange? If so, which type are they? There are many here with exp. with mange, so hang tight until they chime in.

Your food is a good food BUT if it is something your bully is allergic to, it will supress the immune system and cause the mites to attack.

I would first seek out a dermatologist and run allergy tests so you know what you are up against. Because whatever you are doing now does not appear to be working.

Adding salmon oil will help boost immune system, get some asap. You can get it at carolina pet pantry or petflow.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm lucky enough to not have any experience with mange ... but I know a lot of people on here have so hang on in there and I'm sure that somebody will respond soon.

I do know that mange can come from a suppressed immune system so there is no harm in adding some salmon oil ... we use the Grizzly salmon oil ... as that is very good for super-boosting the immune system.

Hope somebody logs on soon and is able to help you!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh my..I'm so sorry for all the trouble you've been having. Your poor Beefy must have been feeling horrible. I don't have specific mange experience,but I know we have some who have. It's just waiting for them to find this. It seems to me, there is a much better treatment than the baths. May also ask what food he is on? Food is such an important quotient of a healthy immune system, which of course is a problem with mange.are you certain he isn't suffering from an allergy..maybe food related? A second opinion, by a good Bulldog vet, will save you money and poor Beefy the itching he has had. As far as the insurance goes,I have Trupanion,which does cover hereditary problems. But I'm pretty sure the mange or mites you are currently dealing with, would not be covered because it is existing? They would have if your policy had been in force at time of diagnosis, just like most of them.i will do a search and see if I can direct some help to you quickly. Please don't get discouraged, someone will be along to give you advice. I'm so glad you found us and from now on I'm sure we can help.

I just saw Babyduke asked about Carecredit. It's a great way to help pay for your vet bills. Interest free,works like a credit card. Can apply on line or even at the vets!

Oyyyyyy..I see you feed Blue Buffalo..which is a good food..unless your dog is sensitive to salmon..which mine is. Just a thought!

Last edited:
OP
bullerik

bullerik

Oct 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefy
I have no exp with mites, I am assuming you are speaking of mange? If so, which type are they? There are many here with exp. with mange, so hang tight until they chime in.

Your food is a good food BUT if it is something your bully is allergic to, it will supress the immune system and cause the mites to attack.

I would first seek out a dermatologist and run allergy tests so you know what you are up against. Because whatever you are doing now does not appear to be working.

Adding salmon oil will help boost immune system, get some asap. You can get it at carolina pet pantry or petflow.

Thanks for your reply. I googled Carolina pet pantry and came across a grizzly salmon oil. Would I just have to just pour the indicated amount on the food or do I give it to him after?

As for the dermatologist, does it have to be a dermatologist for animals or what? If so where can I find a list of suggested dermatologist for bullies?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi there. If you're referring to mange, my Stig used to have it when we first brought him home due to his allergies. As members before me mentioned, it was a secondary reaction due to his allergies suppressing his immune system. We struggled for a couple of months with no success. The vets gave us antibiotics and 6 weeks worth of a heartworm drug called Interceptor which was to directly fight off the mange. It wasn't cheap, but they said it was safest for a 6 month old bully. But in the middle of treatment, and getting restless from waiting for results, we changed his food to raw. It cleared everything within a week to my amazement and the vet insisted that we can cease giving him the rest of the meds. It was only then when we found out that he was very sensitive to most kibble.

You may find that changing his food will benefit him. There are a few here that a lot of members recommend. I find that a lot of our bullies here are very sensitive to a lot of things and have constant allergies. Finding the right food for him, along with supplements such as probiotics (plain yogurt, specific probiotic pills, etc) and salmon oil, will assist him boost his immune system. I'd stop giving him treats and do a proper food trial. Doing an allergy test is great advice as well.

To help with the itchies, I bathe my guy with an oatmeal and aloe shampoo, and rinse with a vinegar/water solution after rinsing the suds off with water. We continue this regimen to this day with both Stig and Punkin.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks for your reply. I googled Carolina pet pantry and came across a grizzly salmon oil. Would I just have to just pour the indicated amount on the food or do I give it to him after?

As for the dermatologist, does it have to be a dermatologist for animals or what? If so where can I find a list of suggested dermatologist for bullies?

I would call a few vets in your area and get a recommendation on a vet dermatologist, or a great bully vet. We have a list on here veteranarian recommendations if one is close to you?

The salmon oil goes right on top of the food. :)

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
You can also get a cream called Goodwinol off Amazon. That stuff is amazing. Got rid of my twos mange quick.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi there...both of my current bullies had mange so I have some experience here.

Coincidentally, Linus and Truman both go to Banfield Pet Hospital so I can assure you that it isn't the vet's fault - something is definitely going on here.

Linus had a severe case of mites, which I let go too long because I had no idea what they were - and he also had the baths every few weeks and it cleared up.

Truman has a less severe case and was treated with Invermectin (which is the same medication in many heartworm medications) over the span of 45 days and it also cleared up.

Something is definitely amiss with your bully other than the mites - probably some kind of allergy/immune problem - which you need to get to the bottom of because mites get the upper hand because the immune system is compromised.

I'm not sure what else to say other than the mites are probably a symptom of a larger issue. I would ask your vet about testing your bully for allergies to see what might be bothering him so you can get on top of the mites.

This is a tough one...I'm sorry I am not much help. What does your vet say the next step is? Did they try a prednisone shot?

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
I get my Interceptor from petmeds.com costs a little less than at the vet's.

OP
bullerik

bullerik

Oct 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefy
Hi there. If you're referring to mange, my Stig used to have it when we first brought him home due to his allergies. As members before me mentioned, it was a secondary reaction due to his allergies suppressing his immune system. We struggled for a couple of months with no success. The vets gave us antibiotics and 6 weeks worth of a heartworm drug called Interceptor which was to directly fight off the mange. It wasn't cheap, but they said it was safest for a 6 month old bully. But in the middle of treatment, and getting restless from waiting for results, we changed his food to raw. It cleared everything within a week to my amazement and the vet insisted that we can cease giving him the rest of the meds. It was only then when we found out that he was very sensitive to most kibble.

You may find that changing his food will benefit him. There are a few here that a lot of members recommend. I find that a lot of our bullies here are very sensitive to a lot of things and have constant allergies. Finding the right food for him, along with supplements such as probiotics (plain yogurt, specific probiotic pills, etc) and salmon oil, will assist him boost his immune system. I'd stop giving him treats and do a proper food trial. Doing an allergy test is great advice as well.

To help with the itchies, I bathe my guy with an oatmeal and aloe shampoo, and rinse with a vinegar/water solution after rinsing the suds off with water. We continue this regimen to this day with both Stig and Punkin.

By raw food, do you mean wet food?

Beefy was originally on Science Diet Lamb as suggested by breeder, then switched to wet food, and finally on Blue Wilderness Salmon. None seemed to help because there was always new spots coming out on his skin.

To help with itching, I've been buying a medicated powder and a spray which is applied directly on the spots to help. Again, none of those items helped.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@bullerik by raw. means real, raw, meat. Like chicken leg quarters to start out with. There's basically two methods of feeding raw. BARF and PREY. Of course you can buy raw diet prepackaged. Hang on there's lots of peeps here to help you with that too. Also a yahoo raw group you could check out. Most people who run out of their wits as what to do next find that a raw diet works like nothing else.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
ask your current vet to do a full screen blood allergy test... it will give you an idea of what could be the issue until you find a vet dermatologist. Check out the recommended vet list at the top of the health forum home page.

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
I know you are getting tons of great advice here - so please hang in there. I know how troubling it can be to see your bully uncomfortable, and to pay so much $ to try and find the answers. Don't give up. Go back to the basics.....

I have had to deal with both allergies (hives) and demodex mange mites with my bully Rocco over the last year - he is now 17 months old. I have some questions for you and some follow up you can do with your vet.

1) You said he has lots of mites. Are they scraping him and actually seeing the mites under their microscope? Or are they just telling you its mites. Big difference if you know the root cause, and they are seeing it instead of just suspecting it is there. If they are seeing it - and it is "all over" the mitoban dip baths are the best way to make sure it goes away. They need to do the baths 2 weeks apart for 6 weeks. This cost me about $181 bucks for each treatment. This cleared up all his mites for good. He still had allergies/hives after the mange was gone so I had to keep looking for the root cause....Don't need to add a bunch of supplements or change his food until you know for sure if it is mites or some other problem that is causing your bully to have skin problems.

2) You say he is on Blue Wilderness Salmon now which is a good food, unless he is allergic to any of the ingredients (salmon? rice? chicken, etc.). The only way to really know what he is allergic to is to conduct an allergy test. Some vets have the capability to do this in their office - or will refer you to a dermatologist. It can take a little time to get an appt so I would get this scheduled right away.

3) How long has he been on the Salmon food? If it has only been a few week, and you don't have the results of your allergy test back - than keep it going. It can take up to 4-6 weeks until the dog is finally feeling better from a bad food to a good food change.

4) Dont start adding a bunch of supplements (including the salmon oil others have recommended) until you know if he is allergic to salmon or other ingredients that could be in the supplements. No need to start adding more confusion to the problem.

5) Until you get the allergy test done I would suggest an "strict hypoallergenic diet" - which you can switch to right away - without any transition of giving your current food and and new food over a period of days/weeks. The hypoallergenic diet is very calming to your dogs skin and should not require any transition period. By strict I mean STRICT - no other food, treats, supplements, etc. Only the dry kibble. Usually this food requires a prescription from your vet, and you can buy directly from your vet or through online sources such as www.petmeds.com. I get mine from our vet - its just easier than waiting for shipping. I am currently using Hills, Prescription Diet, D/D Sensitive Skin formula that is Potato and Venison. My Rocco loves it and I saw skin improvement in the first week. We have been on it for about 3 months now and he is doing great! Talk to your vet about this option. It is a bit expensive $66 for a 17.5 lb bag - but its much cheaper than all the vet visits!

5) Finally - My vet also thought the root cause of the hives allergies might be mites (not demodex but another kind that isn't visible under the microscope) so she prescribed Revolution for him to be given once a month. This is similar to flea medicine and actually controls fleas, ticks and mice. He has been on this for 3 months too.

Be patient, continue to push your vet to find the answer. I'm sorry this has cost so much money to deal with - but hopefully you will finally get to the bottom of the problem - and get your bully baby on the road to happy trails!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.