Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Huge mites problem

@bullerik by raw. means real, raw, meat. Like chicken leg quarters to start out with. There's basically two methods of feeding raw. BARF and PREY. Of course you can buy raw diet prepackaged. Hang on there's lots of peeps here to help you with that too. Also a yahoo raw group you could check out. Most people who run out of their wits as what to do next find that a raw diet works like nothing else.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

ask your current vet to do a full screen blood allergy test... it will give you an idea of what could be the issue until you find a vet dermatologist. Check out the recommended vet list at the top of the health forum home page.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

I know you are getting tons of great advice here - so please hang in there. I know how troubling it can be to see your bully uncomfortable, and to pay so much $ to try and find the answers. Don't give up. Go back to the basics.....

I have had to deal with both allergies (hives) and demodex mange mites with my bully Rocco over the last year - he is now 17 months old. I have some questions for you and some follow up you can do with your vet.

1) You said he has lots of mites. Are they scraping him and actually seeing the mites under their microscope? Or are they just telling you its mites. Big difference if you know the root cause, and they are seeing it instead of just suspecting it is there. If they are seeing it - and it is "all over" the mitoban dip baths are the best way to make sure it goes away. They need to do the baths 2 weeks apart for 6 weeks. This cost me about $181 bucks for each treatment. This cleared up all his mites for good. He still had allergies/hives after the mange was gone so I had to keep looking for the root cause....Don't need to add a bunch of supplements or change his food until you know for sure if it is mites or some other problem that is causing your bully to have skin problems.

2) You say he is on Blue Wilderness Salmon now which is a good food, unless he is allergic to any of the ingredients (salmon? rice? chicken, etc.). The only way to really know what he is allergic to is to conduct an allergy test. Some vets have the capability to do this in their office - or will refer you to a dermatologist. It can take a little time to get an appt so I would get this scheduled right away.

3) How long has he been on the Salmon food? If it has only been a few week, and you don't have the results of your allergy test back - than keep it going. It can take up to 4-6 weeks until the dog is finally feeling better from a bad food to a good food change.

4) Dont start adding a bunch of supplements (including the salmon oil others have recommended) until you know if he is allergic to salmon or other ingredients that could be in the supplements. No need to start adding more confusion to the problem.

5) Until you get the allergy test done I would suggest an "strict hypoallergenic diet" - which you can switch to right away - without any transition of giving your current food and and new food over a period of days/weeks. The hypoallergenic diet is very calming to your dogs skin and should not require any transition period. By strict I mean STRICT - no other food, treats, supplements, etc. Only the dry kibble. Usually this food requires a prescription from your vet, and you can buy directly from your vet or through online sources such as www.petmeds.com. I get mine from our vet - its just easier than waiting for shipping. I am currently using Hills, Prescription Diet, D/D Sensitive Skin formula that is Potato and Venison. My Rocco loves it and I saw skin improvement in the first week. We have been on it for about 3 months now and he is doing great! Talk to your vet about this option. It is a bit expensive $66 for a 17.5 lb bag - but its much cheaper than all the vet visits!

5) Finally - My vet also thought the root cause of the hives allergies might be mites (not demodex but another kind that isn't visible under the microscope) so she prescribed Revolution for him to be given once a month. This is similar to flea medicine and actually controls fleas, ticks and mice. He has been on this for 3 months too.

Be patient, continue to push your vet to find the answer. I'm sorry this has cost so much money to deal with - but hopefully you will finally get to the bottom of the problem - and get your bully baby on the road to happy trails!!!
    Rocco's Mom

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

LOL - I just re-read my message and had to laugh out loud! I meant to say the Revolution controls "fleas, ticks and mites!" not "mice!"....that made me crack up. Sorry for the typo...

K
    Rocco's Mom

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i dont have any advice on mange as sarah has never had it thank goodness but just wanted to welcome you to the site and you are getting some good advice. keep us posted

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KristinMarie View Post
    LOL - I just re-read my message and had to laugh out loud! I meant to say the Revolution controls "fleas, ticks and mites!" not "mice!"....that made me crack up. Sorry for the typo...

K
    Darn it. I was hoping to control a vermin problem here......

KIDDING! That was my @Jack Daniels impression.....

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

@Vicaroo1000 I dont get it......

:

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

*giggle* Just so you know @Jack Daniels, you're not the ONLY crackpot around here....

In fact, you and I are in some very good company...LOL

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

hes not oh my now everything is just messed up

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    *giggle* Just so you know @Jack Daniels , you're not the ONLY crackpot around here....In fact, you and I are in some very good company...LOL

Well said.... couldn't agree more
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefy
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies. I set up an appointment with the vet told him the problem and I found out he had the same thing in mind which was the allergy test. He redirected me to a dermatologist and I've set up an allergy test date in February. Cost is gonna be around $600-900 but I'm saving up.

Other than that, the original vet has been doing skin scraping to check for mites and they've come back negative on mites for 2 weeks straight now which is great. This might've just been an allergy thing this whole time.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I am hoping he is over the mite infestation and the dermatologist will find what he is allergic to so he can get better. Please keep us posted on his progress.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads