need some help concerning chances smelly face

brandi576

Jun 27, 2011
Seymour, Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
chance
Ive been trying to read many posts about different issues concerning allergies and yeast..so ill just post my issues and see what u all think. Chance has been to the vet concerning irritation and rash on his face and paws and i havent had any issues til the cortizone has finally gotten out of his system which the vet said would last approx 3 months...he has the redness again and his face is smelly a day after cleaning it...so my question is could he have a yeast infection in his wrinkles? Also im guessing i need to try and switch his food...he is on royal canin which he seems to love but ive read alot of bully owners on here that have had thier dogs on it have taken them off that brand! So im considering switching to fromm since i have read alot of positives about that dog food from alot of u bully lovers ! any help and suggestions would be much appreciated!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes he could have yeast in his wrinkles. the key is to keep it clean and dry. many here use mal-a-ket wipes to clean and then dry it and then put desitin on it. me i clean it with mal-a-ket then dry it then put lotimin powder on it to fight yeast and keep it dry. sarah has had redness in her folds due to something in her food not agreeing with her. i would agree to switch foods. fromm has worked for many here. make sure you slow switch over like 7 to 10 days. are the paws red in between or underneath? you can use mal-a-ket wipes there to. if you dont have that any anti fungal or yeast med will do. clotrimazole tolnaftate and such as you would get at the drug store. these can be used on the paws as well. you may also want to consider getting you bully allergy tested. these things can also be environmental and the only way to know is to get the test. save yourself alot of guessing about what is causing the problem. good luck and let us know how it goes.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] gave you good advice. I really can't add any more to it.

OP
brandi576

brandi576

Jun 27, 2011
Seymour, Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
chance
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] im def going to try the remedies u said for his wrinkles and try the change of dog food to see if this helps...if not then i guess im going to have to look into the allergy testing which my vet did mention that as an option down the road if he continued to have alot of allergy breakouts...he also said it was very pricy though and wasnt 100% beneficial to all dogs tested, not really sure what he meant by that other then maybe some dogs thier still unable to find what thier allergic to from the testing!?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2639]brandi576[/MENTION] the allergy test is a simple blood test which will give you a good picture of what to avoid. There is also a more in depth skin allergy test ask which your vet wants to do, but the full allergy blood screen will be a good start. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] gave you the right advice for cleaning and care of the folds.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
It sounds like he very well could have yeast in his wrinkles. Delilah gets it from time to time and it is stinky. Hers got bad enough even with me cleaning them daily that I had to put her on an anti fungal.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] gave you some great advice, that's what I would suggest.

Most Reactions