Need help with Bulldog food

Katrik

Aug 1, 2010
Asheville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess "Katie"
I am in desperate need of help. I have a 2 year old female bulldog. We used to feed her Royal Canin Bulldog formula, but noticed that she was getting ear infections, which I was told was from the dog food. We then switched her to Taste of the Wild, she really likes the prairie formula. We have since noticed an increase in eye boogers as well as a reddish brown stain in the wrinkles around the corner of her nose, between her toes, in her ears and around her pee pee area, which we wipe after every bathroom trip. Is this from the food? What brand should we switch her to? HELP!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..you've come to the right place. There are many knowledgable people here. Hang tight, they will find you! It sounds like yeast problems. Let me tag a couple people and see what they say. I use Fromm beef frittata..but what works for one Bully sure might not work for you! I'm confident we can get help for you! [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Definitely sounds like an allergy.... I would ask your vet to do a full screen blood allergy test, it will help with the guessing game. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] will be able to give you some input on the food, but I noticed by reducing potatoes in Banks food/treats it lessened her yeast issue. Could also be due to environmental allergies..... you'll know better after the blood test.

I have Banks on the Fromm Beef frittata for about a month -- she is doing very well on it.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Hi there , I sure can attest to the fact that the royal canine is the wrong food. I love the shape but not the food
please try any of the Fromm foods, the type is 4 star Fromm makes 3 types. 2 of them I feel are the very best for any bulldogs for many reasons,. to make a long story short. I have you read a post I just put on her today about dog food.
but go to <petflow.com>and for $4.95 a bag they will deliver it to your front door. the reason I say 4 star is that those are single types of meat, with Wisconsin cheese in it and great quality grains, and veggies and fruit, this company uses nothing but the best. the are 1 of 2 companies in the US and Canada who also use the yogurt type cultures in the food so that digetsion and the immune system is boosted too, in 6 weeks you wont even know your dog, the paws will heal(I have never had a dog ,have that on this food,) and I had one who had so many allergies from flowers and grass, but the ears also will go away(although remember to get the vet to check for a yeast infection (again from food allergies) some antibiotics will clear it up and the Fromm will not have it happen again. no more tear stains, and bath the dog weekly or bi weekly with a simple baby shampoo, daily wipe the face and paws, and private areas with a mild soapy wash cloth. it sounds as though she may have a yeast infection around her vulva too. the vet will know sadly the office call is more than the antibiotics. after you get her cleared up you can mix 50/50 % apple cider vinegar/water to squirt in her ears, and around on her private areas, and paws , so that once her antibiotics are done she is home free. use this 1 or 2 times a week, and she will never have that stain/smell again email me for any thing any time. taking care of these guys is a must to all of us here . try the chicken or duck.
Linda , at [email protected] I see Lisa was quick to help, she is amazing

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=962]Katrik[/MENTION] i would change foods. if the symptoms got worse from when you changed foods most likely that is the cause. potatoes can be a problem for some bullies and high prairie is loaded with many meats and potatoes and such that your bully could be allergic to. many have had success with fromm beef frittata. nvi limited ingredient either turkey or lamb has been successful. dogswell nutrisca has some formulas that use peas and chickpeas. whatever you choose to feed i would not take to much time switching. im gonna get blasted for that but in this instance i think a 2 or at the most 3 days on each level is warranted. 2 days of 3/4 old 1/4 new. 2 days 50/50 and then 2 days 3/4 new 1/4 old. what do you have available to you. petco petsmart online ordering? will help with a recommendation. also @2BullyMama said get an allergy test. as someone who knows and have been through a slew of foods with my bully its saves time and headaches. do you have something to put on the yeast? many here order mal-a-ket wipes. will help with the yeast. i also use lotrimin powder as it has a spout that is easy to get it on many places to keep it dry. lortimin powder seemed to help very much on sarahs pee pee folds. keeping it dry is the key to yeast as well as putting medicine on it. i so hope they get better soon.

Last edited:
OP
Katrik

Katrik

Aug 1, 2010
Asheville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess "Katie"
Thank you so much. All of the information provided has been extremely helpful. I wasn't sure what else we could do. We have always bathed her once a week with a very good oatmeal based shampoo as well as wipe her private areas after every bathroom trip. My husband is faithful at cleaning her face several times a day so we were just about positive that this had to be caused by her food. I don't want her to have to be bothered with this and was hoping for help on what food to switch her to. I will definitely try Fromm. This is my baby and I will do whatever is necessary to take care of her. I love this breed and the people who tend to them. The breed and the people are very special. Thanks again for all the help. Katie thanks you too.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
OH Katie , I am just so glad that you are asking, if you are new to bulldogs, I understand, they are 360% differant than any other breed. and MOST vets do not even get that!! and you will want to find a good Bulldog vet.and I certainly can help with that.we do have some listed on the site, but if I can have your city,state, and zip code, I will go to the AKC web page, look up the breeder referral page, or better yet go to the bulldog rescue in your state or area , and find rescue folks who will know where the good vets are because we are the ones who get the dogs after about 4 yrs -that vets have fed garbage food to , until the owners cannot afford the vet bills any more.((vets only get a few WEEKS in college--about nutrition !!!!!--they are there for medical knowledge--))) that is why they believe everything the pet food salesmen tell them--that and the fact that the pet food companies give KICK BACKS TO THE VETS COLLEGE OF CHOICE FOR SELLING THE PET FOOD THAT THE COMPANIES WANT SOLD)))) vets do not know about pet food, just pets. LOL!!!
did you get the link for the<<< petflow.com> ??
and only 1/2 cup 2 x a day is all she needs to maintain a nice shape.but also let her have veggies, (no corn)1/2 way cook the veggies,and add fruit too, use these for treats-they are healthier(no grapes/raisins)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.