A few questions

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
I'll start with Brooke, just this week since getting Frankie I noticed she is licking at her front paws. She is eating her same food, and the most of his food she could have gotten would be like 5 little kibble pieces before we pulled her away. I checked her pads and can't see anything on the front ones, but one of her back feet, in between her toes looks irritated. Also this morning one of her face wrinkles is red, they were playing when I noticed and I thought she got cut and was bleeding, but when I looked closer, her wrinkle is just moist and pink with red outside, looks like maybe yeast, since I've seen it described that way on here. She has NEVER had yeast issues before. Can these issues be caused by the stress of the new addition? Or the few pieces of Iams food she got? Or maybe just increased wetness from them licking and eating each other all the time?

Next is Frankie, just after I noticed Brooke's wrinkle, I noticed a drop of blood on her lower back and a drop on the floor. I checked Brooke all over and found nothing, so I began checking Frankie next. First I checked his ear (he has a cut from his previous home in one of his ears that has been reopened before while they were playing) but it was scabbed and didn't look like it had been bleeding recently. So I flipped him over and checked his belly, never did find a bleeding spot, but did notice that he had some discharge coming from his penis. Brooke is a girl and my old male dog was fixed before we got him so idk if this is a normal thing for an intact male or a possible infection. Any clue? We're going to try to get him in to a vet this week for at least a check up and an update of his vaccines (since his history is shaky) even if we can't get a neuter appointment but just wondering if it's something I should be worried about.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Frankie --not sure, keep us posted after the vet visit. Brooklyn could be stressed from the change in routine.... did you introduce them outside of the home before bringing Frankie to the house?

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Yes we did introduce them outside first. And they do get along great for it not even being a week yet, but she only will act like her old self when he isn't around. Like if Frankie is in time out or something then she'll come curl up on my lap and be her lovey self. But as long as he is out with her ALL of her attention is on him and she will not come lay with me or anything. Not sure what to do, or if it may improve more in time...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama Yes we did introduce them outside first. And they do get along great for it not even being a week yet, but she only will act like her old self when he isn't around. Like if Frankie is in time out or something then she'll come curl up on my lap and be her lovey self. But as long as he is out with her ALL of her attention is on him and she will not come lay with me or anything. Not sure what to do, or if it may improve more in time...

Sounds like it could be that they need to get the pack order set.... watch his body language especially shoulders and eyes, ears help too, but I read that his are too perky and do not change much. Banks' tell-all is her shoulders - they tighten up and her chin/neck go forward, we refer to it as her 'getting her bitch on'.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Yeah I think they are still getting the pack order set. Brooke is definitely the more dominant one and she tries to prove it but she is just so much smaller than him. I hope things will calm a little once he's fixed. The humping REALLY pi**es her off.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They will settle down after a while, they will play and as [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said they will find their packing order. Sounds like you are giving them a time out every once in awhile which is good. The red faces is probably coming from them playing together, especially if they play rough. Just have to clean their faces more to see if it helps. A few pieces of the old food would not matter. The blood could have come from under his chin, did you check under there? Sometimes if Buddy and BeBe play hard one of them will get a little spot under their chin that will bleed a little. We will stop them if they get too rough.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Yes I have been giving them time outs, at first they literally NEVER rested, I was afraid what would happen if they just continuously went at it with no rest. And after eating they ALWAYS get a break since they play so rough and crazy and I don't want bloat. But I'm trying not to do it too much since it just gives them more energy to be crazy all over again and I don't want it to be like at his old home when he was always locked up.
I did check under everywhere, hence how I noticed the discharge, speaking of that does your intact male ever have anything like this or do you think its an infection? The blood must have been from his ear and it just re-scabbed before I noticed or something.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2514]Sarah[/MENTION] what did the discharge look like?

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] It was kinda yellowish white and thick. Not a lot of it, just a little on the tip.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2514]Sarah[/MENTION], this is normal, usually a male dog will clean this off, but as we know our poor bullies have a hard time doing that. haha

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Oh good, I was not sure at all. I tried to google it but some said it was ejaculation and others said infection and I had NO CLUE which to believe. lol

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Most all male dogs have that discharge, but intact males have more. The play gets a little intense here sometimes, but nobody ever bleeds or gets really carried away. It's all in fun and lots of growling. They use their soft mouthing, looks worse than it is. And yes the faces get red from this sometimes. Flushing.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] I can't imagine with five! haha I don't want you guys to think Brooks is a monster, well she kinda is lol, but like I said he came to us all scabbed up from their pitbulls that he didn't get along with. So Brooke isn't making big holes in him but just splitting open some of those old ones by accident when their playing.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@Sherry I can't imagine with five! haha I don't want you guys to think Brooks is a monster, well she kinda is lol, but like I said he came to us all scabbed up from their pitbulls that he didn't get along with. So Brooke isn't making big holes in him but just splitting open some of those old ones by accident when their playing.

I think you're on top of things. He's lucky to have you and Brooks

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.