Large Hematoma after TPLO surgery

OP
ssesler

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Oliver, and Truman
Thanks for the comments and well wishes! The fluid has yet to go down. The vet said it could take a "few weeks" to go down. I was also surprised that he didn't drain it. I wonder if the extra pressure will delay healing or cause any issues with the joint. I take daily pictures to track the progress. I hope to see some sort of progress soon or I will be back to the vet. Truman is taking it well though. Much like all of his other 6 surgeries, he amazes me on how well he does with his recovery.

He does have one other issue that still needs to be corrected. In May, after extensive testing, they found he had a sticture in his urethra. Apparently, it's rare as it is smack in the middle of the urethra rather than off to the side. The only option the vet offered was to reroute the urethra, have him potty through his scrotal skin, and cut off his penis. There has to be another way. When we got him his penis stuck out 1 - 2 inches. Apparently, it was that way since birth (we still aren't sure as we got him when he was two - he's 3 now). He went through two preputial advancements and on the second surgery they tacked his penis to the prepuce wall. He did so well after that and now they are talking about cutting it off! (He has had surgery for a prolapsed urethra as well.) Right now he's not having any clinical issues, so we hope to find a vet school that has a urology department that may have other options. The vet school that diagnosed him was SUPPOSED to reach other to other schools and get back with us, but that was in May. Can't get any info from them since. Any suggestions?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1184]ssesler[/MENTION] Is it causing him any problems?

OP
ssesler

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
The only problem we have is he drips urine from time to time. Sometimes it's constant, sometimes it's not. However, he did this prior to the stricture and is on medication which helps significantly. (I have noticed he drips more when his urethral prolapse returns.) Now, when he potties it sprays everywhere like a broken faucet, :) but other than that, he's not showing any clinical symptoms. Since he's not having any symptoms, I haven't pursued it as we've focused on his other issues. I just would like to have some options, other than cutting off his penis, in case something does occur.

OP
ssesler

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Truman update: After 7 weeks of fighting the hematoma/seroma (taking him to my local vet every other day to have it wrapped and drained), Truman could barely walk. I took him to my local vet again who told me to get to the surgeon asap. FINALLY the surgeon took action as the xrays indicated his knee cap was out of place (he thinks it was due to the pressure of the seroma). He decided to put in a closed drain and in the process of putting in the drain took a look at the plate and screws. Turns out two of the screws started to come out and was caught on some of the tissue. He replaced the "potentially defective" screw and after a week in the hospital with the drain, the pocket finally started to come down. Another week post hospital visit, the seroma is almost GONE!! I KNEW there was something wrong in the second week, but the surgeon wouldn't listen. I'm just happy Truman is doing well now. The xrays also showed that his bones have healed nicely.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Truman update: After 7 weeks of fighting the hematoma/seroma (taking him to my local vet every other day to have it wrapped and drained), Truman could barely walk. I took him to my local vet again who told me to get to the surgeon asap. FINALLY the surgeon took action as the xrays indicated his knee cap was out of place (he thinks it was due to the pressure of the seroma). He decided to put in a closed drain and in the process of putting in the drain took a look at the plate and screws. Turns out two of the screws started to come out and was caught on some of the tissue. He replaced the "potentially defective" screw and after a week in the hospital with the drain, the pocket finally started to come down. Another week post hospital visit, the seroma is almost GONE!! I KNEW there was something wrong in the second week, but the surgeon wouldn't listen. I'm just happy Truman is doing well now. The xrays also showed that his bones have healed nicely.

WHAT GREAT NEWS.. So sorry you and Truman had to go through all that heart ache and pain. Very happy he is doing well and excellent job at being in-tune to your baby and knowing something wasn't right.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.