Large Hematoma after TPLO surgery

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Oliver, and Truman
My Truman ruptured his ACL and had TPLO surgery on Dec 6[SUP]th[/SUP]. He had the typical after surgery swelling, but it went way down by the 12[SUP]th[/SUP]. On the 13[SUP]th[/SUP], I noticed that he had significant swelling above the staples and he started dragging his leg. I contacted the vets office who did his surgery and they suggested I take him to my primary vet (because I live 2 hours away from the vet who did the surgery). My primary vet thought the swelling was normal and believed he was dragging his leg due to pain. (He was still on Tramadol, but he finished the Rimadyl the day before) My vet suggested continuing the Rimadyl and he put Truman on an antibiotic (he was not given one after surgery). Well, yesterday his leg got larger. I called the vet who did the surgery and had to leave a voicemail. Had to call back and finally spoke with the vet. I emailed him some pictures to which, when he saw them said, ā€œOH MY. He has a large hematomaā€ The vet thought Truman had ripped his internal stitches. (Not certain how this happened as heā€™s been with me 17 hours out of the day and in his crate for the remainder.) Anyway, I was told to put warm compresses on the hematoma. I did as instructed, but today itā€™s even larger! My poor baby is a puppy mill rescue baby. Heā€™s been through 7 surgeries and now is going through this. He seems to be ok, eating and drinking wise, but looks miserable. I have an appointment on Monday to get his staples removed and the vet who did the surgery will evaluate him at that time, but I donā€™t know if I can wait that long! Has anyone else had experience with this??? Should the hematoma get larger? Iā€™m wondering if I should put cold compresses instead of using warm. Iā€™ve searched the net, but canā€™t find anything. <SIGH> Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hematomaphoto.jpgTphoto.JPG

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh dear, I've heard and have, a female who, when she was spayed, filled with fluid causing a very large lump. She was allergic to the stitches witch is common, sorta. The vet argued with me and of course I won, we drained the bulge, it was bloody infection, as I had suspected. Needless to say, I have a new vet. Does it drain at the staple area when you lightly squeeze it? If so, that can be fixed by removing those staples and draining. Drawing fluid out with a syringe. the poor guy has really been through enough already. Does the area feel hot to the touch? that's another sign of the infection. Bet Monday can't come soon enough for the two of you. :pray:

Oh and by the way , hes a lovely fella, really cute. He's lucky to have you. Thanks a bunch for being his best friend.

OP
ssesler

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank for responding! The incision site looks good. No drainage. The area is warm though and is more red than it has been. My primary vet did give me an antibiotic, but that was a week after the surgery was done. The surgeon said he was given IV antibiotics before and during surgery.

Allergy to sutures... I will definitely ask about that. Good to know!

And no... Monday can not come soon enough. :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
You are quite welcome. I hope it's something simple. My thought's are with you and Truman, let us know the outcome.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Oh dear! Sorry you both are going through this! I don't have any advice but sending you hugs. I don't know how they can make you wait til Monday.

814dec20.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm with [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION], I think it is an infection or allergic reaction from the sutures. It needs to be drained. Definitely take him first thing Monday morning. That vet should have had you bring him today to drain and check it.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My Jake had a suture allergy..I agree with David..your vet needs to be more concerned. Poor Truman..good luck..I hope he quickly feels better..he is sooo lucky to have you!

OP
ssesler

ssesler

Sep 8, 2010
SW Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
I just returned from the orthopedic surgeon. He believes the large mass is a seroma. He didn't think it was infection because Truman wasn't showing signs of pain. I reminded him that Truman IS a bulldog, has had many surgeries and has a wicked high pain tolerance. I asked him if it could be a reaction to the sutures. He thought it was possible but unlikely. He said he didn't want to drain it because it would introduce bacteria into the area which could lead to more "severe things". He again stated I should apply warm compress and keep an eye on it for any changes. He is still on an antibiotic (which I had to get from my primary vet), so I will continue on it. The surgeon thought it would take a few weeks for the body to absorb the extra fluid.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Wow that leg does look huge ... I know what you were told by the vet and go ahead obviously and follow his directions. Just remember one thing .. nobody knows your bully better than you. So keep an eye on him, and if there is ANYTHING that just doesnt seem right then get him back to the vet pronto .... go with your gut on this one!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
oh dear.. I am thinking of you guys.. and I agree YOU are his best resource.. keep an eye on it.. poor little guy :( big big hugs to you both.. please keep us posted.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
gosh i cant believe this. i so hope he gets better. i dunno if it doesnt go down soon may have to consult someone else. poor thing. hope it gets better soon and just keep an eye on it and him. hugs from me and sarah

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I am surprised he did not drain it. When we had Cash's knee surgery done his leg swelled a few days after the surgery and I took him back and my vet that did the surgery said the swelling was normal in bullies after this type of surgery, but drained it while we were there. Hopefully the surgeon that did Truman's leg is right in not draining it. I would keep a close eye on it and if it gets larger or gets a fever in it I would take him back ASAP.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Nothing to add except I'm sending a cyber hug and positive vibes for a speedy recovery. Truman is so handsome. Please keep us posted.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.