Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good to hear Stig it's only a UTI, hope the meds clear him up soon.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im so glad to read stig will be ok soon. im glad thats all it is.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] keeping my paws crossed. :pray:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When Mandy had a UTI my vet gave us 2 weeks on antibiotics and then herbal supplement for the bladder. He said uti can be reoccurring if you dont do a long term thorough trestment. I'm on my iPod sorry about the typos....!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Glad to hear Stig will soon be better :)

I've seen in other forums that some people freeze cranberry juice in ice cubes, and give a cube with some meals for uti preventative maintenance. Haven't tried it myself but it seems like a convenient way that doesn't include too many meds, maybe consult a dog nutritionalist (if they exist?!) about this.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Glad to hear Stig will soon be better :)

I've seen in other forums that some people freeze cranberry juice in ice cubes, and give a cube with some meals for uti preventative maintenance. Haven't tried it myself but it seems like a convenient way that doesn't include too many meds, maybe consult a dog nutritionalist (if they exist?!) about this.

Great tip! I've heard cranberry is a great preventative too. The challenge is to find pure cranberry juice instead of cocktails.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
When Mandy had a UTI my vet gave us 2 weeks on antibiotics and then herbal supplement for the bladder. He said uti can be reoccurring if you dont do a long term thorough trestment. I'm on my iPod sorry about the typos....!

The vet gave us 5 days worth of antibiotics and a month's worth of some homeopathic cleansing pills. Maybe the second med is meant to be the long-term one? I'm trying to figure out what's different that caused him to get this, and the only thing I can think of is Punkin licking that area every so often. Other than that, I don't think there's anything else. Unless he caught a bug from his drinking water, food, the ground, etc. Or maybe the stress of Punkin entering the pack? I'm upping their probiotics now to try to prevent reoccurence and anything else that can help boost their immune system.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
I know [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] give HRH cranberry pills instead of juice as a preventative to utis. I've also heard on here and other places online that apple cider vinegar in their water can prevent it too.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We do give cranberry pills and fish oil pills for her coat because salmon oil did not work for us (Both in gel pill form). When we first got HRH we had a problem for a bit with her peeing in the house. We were told it could be a sign of an UTI issue, and someone recommended the cranberry pills. (over a year ago on here) It made sense because I too have used cranberry pills for just such problems in the past. We've been giving them to her ever since and it has been a VERY long time since she's had any more accidents. She also gets a large tablespoon of yogurt with her morning meal everyday. we just put the pills in with the food and yogurt.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The vet gave us 5 days worth of antibiotics and a month's worth of some homeopathic cleansing pills. Maybe the second med is meant to be the long-term one? I'm trying to figure out what's different that caused him to get this, and the only thing I can think of is Punkin licking that area every so often. Other than that, I don't think there's anything else. Unless he caught a bug from his drinking water, food, the ground, etc. Or maybe the stress of Punkin entering the pack? I'm upping their probiotics now to try to prevent reoccurence and anything else that can help boost their immune system.

Yes that is probably it, the second one should be a supplement- not antibiotic. Mandy took them for a month and it cleared completely :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So sorry that I'm getting to this late but relieved that it seems to be something fairly simple such as a UTI .... let us know how the Stigmeister does!!!

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
We do give cranberry pills and fish oil pills for her coat because salmon oil did not work for us (Both in gel pill form). When we first got HRH we had a problem for a bit with her peeing in the house. We were told it could be a sign of an UTI issue, and someone recommended the cranberry pills. (over a year ago on here) It made sense because I too have used cranberry pills for just such problems in the past. We've been giving them to her ever since and it has been a VERY long time since she's had any more accidents. She also gets a large tablespoon of yogurt with her morning meal everyday. we just put the pills in with the food and yogurt.

Are there special cranberry pills that I should get for him or would a general one do just fine? Thinking I should take some too instead of drinking the cocktails. :)

Oh, his urine's been normal since the morning of the visit, as well as he's going less frequently and the amount is back to normal too. Phew! Hopefully that means he'll be in the clear sooner than later.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thinking I should take some too instead of drinking the cocktails. :)

I have a recipe for a Cranberry Martini ........ is that the kind of cocktail you're talking about??? :ROFL:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Yep, just soft gel type cranberry pills. they are fairly inexpensive and available at our wal-mart.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.