JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I didn't look at it closely, but my bf said that it wasn't dark red, more so it looked like he got cut, so it's a lighter shade of red. Stig's turning 2 in March, so he's 21 months.
He's young. I don't know anything about UTIs expect from what I've seen here. Poor guy! The blood Stig has sounds completely different than what I experienced. That urine with blood was thick and very smelly. I'll be following this to see what's up with stig.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Is there any chance the other dog could have bit him there? You know how dogs are sniffing and investigating. Louie has always been kind of a "letch" and always putting it in BabyGirls face. She's gotten use to him doing that to her and now it seems she's been biting him. I found blood on the kitchen floor and found it was coming from Louie. Well I have stopped that horseplay completely and his urine is back to normal.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn had blood from his penis not too long ago and was dx'd with a prolapsed urethra. There were little clots of blood as well, and it was bright red. This hasn't happened since Finn got neutered in October. Stig's been neutered already right? when he's sitting down, do you notice anything bulgy at the tip of his penis? may be bright red in color.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks for all the input everyone. We managed to get a pill bottle from a local pharmacy so we're in collect mode. Right now he's sleeping beside me, all snuggled. Managed to get him to drink water by putting it in a coffee cup. Yes, he likes drinking from them for some reason. :heart:

Called the emergency vet and they said to come in if he seems very uncomfortable or straining too hard without producing anything. They think it's UTI but it could be a blockage as well.

It could also be an injury like some of you have mentioned, going to look more closer if there's anything different. Punkin usually licks Stig's area and clean it, so it's a possibility.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Finn had blood from his penis not too long ago and was dx'd with a prolapsed urethra. There were little clots of blood as well, and it was bright red. This hasn't happened since Finn got neutered in October. Stig's been neutered already right? when he's sitting down, do you notice anything bulgy at the tip of his penis? may be bright red in color.

No, he's not neutered yet. Was going to wait until he's 2 but it may happen sooner if he needs it. Can't say that I've noticed anything like that, at least nothing too different from before.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
No, he's not neutered yet. Was going to wait until he's 2 but it may happen sooner if he needs it. Can't say that I've noticed anything like that, at least nothing too different from before.

In that case, it may be a prolapsed urethra but obviously, the vet will be able to diagnose that or not. Stig's symptoms just sounded similar to Finn's. IF it is a pu , the neutering will alleviate that. But do check the penis tip and see if it looks engorged to you or not. That will give you an idea. I know it's scary especially b/c of blood from the penis anything is downright scary but once the dr diagnosis Stig, he will be given the appropriate treatment and will be just fine. Please keep us posted!!

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
He did the number 1 a little again and no visible blood this time, which is good. Haven't been able to collect though, much more difficult than I thought.

On a happier note, having to make a big deal when Stig goes to his spot makes me laugh, you can just imagine the commotion of all of us following him. Even Punkin can't resist and joins in the fun.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
AAhhhhhhh yes,,, the things we do for love...............or is it the joy's of Christmas?

I don't know........ but I'm wondering how things are going for you this morning?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
let us know what happened today after you take him to the vet. My guess is a UTI

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Hope Stiggy feels better soon and you guys find out what it is. Could it be something like urinary stones? I don't know how common this is in dogs, but my friend's cat had the same symptoms as Stig and it was urinary stones.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So we're finally back from the vets. His urine this morning looked normal, which is good, but from tests, there was still some blood in it. After describing to the vet that everything else about him is normal and checking Stiggy over, he believes it's a uti and gave us 5 days worth of antibiotics to combat the bad bacteria. He's a holistic vet too, and gave us meds to cleanse out his flora and probiotics to balance out the antibiotics. He wants another sample done next weekend to make sure that Stig's in the clear. If he's not, then that's when they'll do x-rays and more testing. He mentioned that it's common for dogs, both female and male, to get random bouts of uti. Our mission after he gets better is to do some preventative care. I'm thinking more frequent probiotics and supplements.

Right when we exited the building, Stig did a long normal pee, which was so good considering he's only been able to produce short ones since last night. Both Punkin and Stig are passed out from the long morning adventure ... and from all the freeze dried treats from the vets office. :)

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So we're back from the vet. His urine this morning looked normal, which is good, but from tests, there was still some blood in it. After describing to the vet that everything else about him is normal and checking Stiggy over, he believes it's a uti and gave us 5 days worth of antibiotics to combat the bad bacteria. He's a holistic vet too, and gave us meds to cleanse out his flora and probiotics to balance out the antibiotics. He wants another sample done next weekend to make sure that Stig's in the clear. If he's not, then that's when they'll do x-rays and more testing. He mentioned that it's common for dogs, both female and male, to get random bouts of uti. Our mission after he gets better is to do some preventative care. I'm thinking more frequent probiotics and supplements.

Right when we exited the building, Stig did a long normal pee, which was so good considering he's only been able to produce short ones since last night. Both Punkin and Stig are passed out from the long morning adventure ... and from all the freeze dried treats from the vets office. :)

Great to hear ... keep us posted and hope x-rays are not needed.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.