Replacement for Malesab shampoo???

cazorp

Aug 9, 2010
Lubbock, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Barney
Can someone inform me as to what they are now using in place of the Malesab shampoo that was on the market until a few months ago when it was removed by the FDA? It is a good product and helps with dermititus and allegies of the skin. I am desperate.There are two key ingredients in the shampoo which are Miconzole and Chlorhexidine. Any suggestions will be most helpful.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hmmm I'm not sure about the shampoo but there is a replacement for the wipes, Mal-a-ket wipes. Sorry, hope someone on here can help a little more than that.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Wow you read my mind. I just went to bathe Abby yesterday and was wondering if anyone knew of a shampoo that worked as well but OTC. I went ahead and used T-Gel by Nutrogenia for now since we had some. Pet Smart carries a dog shampoo that according to Pet Meds is the exact as Malesab, however it does not work as well for me. Also Chlorohexidine comes in a mouth rinse through Dental offices. My vet once told me that if I mix that with a conditioning shampoo it will work just as well. I have never tried it even though I am in the Dental field. I am going to next time.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wish I knew cuz I have never used their shampoo just the wipes. It is so sad tho that this company went under like this cuz they had the best wipes and even glucosamine treats. UGH! I use the mal-a-ket wipes in place and they seem to work although the ingredients are not the same. Maybe they make a shampoo also and it would work?

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
I also have the medicated Mal-a-ket wipes but the vet on call at Dermapet said to use it only for infection and that we should use the DermaPet Malacetic Wet Wipes for everyday use. Dermapet has a great website with tons of medicated wipes/shampoos so hopefully you can find a good replacement. I had the vet prescribed the pyoben shampoo with benzoyl peroxide to use as twice a week for Tuffy's zits.

Good luck!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Please try this instead, baby shampoo with it , the PH balance is the same as dogs with baby shampoo, NOT ADULT SHAMPOO, YOU WILL DRY OUT YOUR DOGS SKIN. badly long term!
good idea though. and yes I like mal a cet(ms)? wipes
preventing this is the issue, what is causing the smell, or infection.
is is the food?? 99% of the time someone has complained of order emanating from the dogs skin. it is a residue to the foods protein/meat scraps coming from the rendering plants, and an appropriate English bulldog food will change that in weeks. by its self.
next reason is a yeast infection of the skin itself. a 50/50 rinse of vinegar/water along with a 7 to 10 day of antibiotics will cure that, But I also follow up with a second week or two of the rinses, just to make sure.and then check with the vet again to make sure all is clear, once and for all.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
thank you, I will check that out. But I have to say that by using the vinegar water 50/50 solution in ears, and face washes,and tail wiping twice a week. I have never had a yeast infection in or on any of my dogs , and have cleared up several friends dogs after a brief bout of antibiotics.and several weeks of the vinegar rinses. and its cheap.

Alpha

Jul 30, 2010
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bulldog(s) Names
RoCkie
You're welcome! Speaking of vinegar, I've asked my Vet about it & he said, I should never try to use it bcuz it's not good for dog skin. He said, just use the malaseb twice in first week, once the next & then stop. He said, the contents of it is quite strong, so I can't use it too often.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
wow-- I cannot believe that the vet would tell you that 50/50 mix water and vinegar is hard on the dogs skin. you did tell him that you mix it with water -right ??? if you did tell him that it is mixed with water, then he is just trying to keep his sales up . malesab is one of the most expensive things at the vet . the gallon is over a hundred dollars.I am very aware of it . it is good, but only when needed and if something more natural cannot help. now dont get me wrong. one to two shampoos with it are great, but you shouldn't need to keep using it -if the antibiotics are used, and one or two uses of malesab, after that, if you use the mixture at 50/50 it is not hard on the dogs skin. they use it to put in our food for gosh sakes.and people drink it full strength , anytime chemicals are used it is harsh. sometimes it is needed but only as little as possible. and I try to stay out of the vets if I do not need them. my neighbor kept taking his Shepard in to his vet who kept giving antibiotics to his dog. they were not strong enough to begin with and I took a smell of her body and could smell the yeast on it . I checked the MG of the medicine and told him to see my vet , he came back with a twice as strong dose of meds, and told him to keep having me bath her with the vinegar for a couple more weeks. and she went back totally clean. the first vet was guaranteeing that the dog would keep coming back again and again. also they are famous for promoting a flea program that guaranteed that the customer would need to come back monthly as well as one that was not waterproof. when one simple dose of frontline will be good for up to 3 month sand is the only one that is waterproof. we live on the coast!!! it rains almost daily !! some vets are rotten for money.go to another vet ask another bulldog owner about their vet, get a recommendation from a bulldog owner in the club. and I can tell that you are a good mom to your bullies. let me know how things are .

Alpha

Jul 30, 2010
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Bulldog(s) Names
RoCkie
Yes, I did told him about 50/50 mix. I got a feeling that sometimes he tried to make a money out from us. That's why, I try my best not to bring rocky there if it's not really important. It's really sucks too because he's (French vet) the only one know about bulldog (even not 100%) there's lots of local vet & they don't know about bullies because it's not common breed here. As far as I've known & seen, there's only 4 bullies here in Cambodia. That's why I do some personal researches about bulldog health care & I'm so lucky that I came across this site. It's really really helpful ;)

linda4568

Aug 7, 2010
Eagle River, Ak
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, Biggy, Pickles, Deebo, Hoss
I was also using the Malesab Shampoo and my Vet told me the replacement now is made by Virbac . It's Called Keto Chlor. Works just as well as the other, Hope this helps. My Vet has been a vet for over 30 Years and is very schooled in the Bully Breed.:bully:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.