Banks - health update

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As you may know, banks has had a few issues since the beginning of October. Two biggies are the colitis and her spine/disc ... a new one is a tail and ear infection which started this past Saturday.

First the good news, her back is doing great!! :D The laser therapy has given her excellent results , as she is moving, playing and walking as she normally does. Dr. Rossi is leaving up to us as to when and how often to continue her maintenance sessions. So, we are going to do once a month and as sessions as needed based on her behavior or lack of behavior. Her colitis seems to be totally under control with the Tylan powder and food change.:whew: You will all get a laugh out of this; Dr. Rossi asked for a detailed description of her :poo: -- I give it to him, he says to me, "ya know this is going to sound weird/strange, but I want a picture of her next :poo: " I cracked up laughing and said -- no, not strange, but you would love the conversations on EBN (I explained what we are -- a.k.a NUTS).. and Tara, the tech in the room with us (a bully owner) starts laughing and says 'yea, us bully moms keep a close eye on :poo: tells the story of your bulldog". With that, Dr. Rossi shook his head with a smile and said, 'bulldog owners are a special breed of person'.

Bad news, her ear is infected :(, but not horrible because we keep Tresederm in the fridge due to her yeast issues. I gave Lewis instructions on Saturday over the phone since I was away (annual sister shopping weekend == great fun!!), but what he did not know is she has an infection on her tail!! :scared: It is not the pocket, that looks great... it is under the hair on the curl of the skin... so, when Lewis gets in from work - we need to clean it again and put more Tresederm on it.

Now the really bad news.... Dr. Rossi expressed Banks' anal glands :bad:--- UGH!!! It is 40 degrees and I was driving home with all the windows open (an hour drive), my car smells horrendous!!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
So glad Banks is doing better.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow does the smell linger that long??? Glad none of mine need it done!

Sorry to hear about the ear and tail infections. Hopefully those will go away quickly and not cause you both stress.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh those nasty glands, Jack has days of butt walking after the glands are expressed. He gets all anal about it. :ROFL:

Yeah I noticed the other's do not have that problem. Just Jack and yes it does smell horrendous

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad to hear Banks is doing better and hope the ear and tail infections heal quickly.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Glad to hear she's on the road to recovery ... well except for her ear and tail infections. :) Didn't know the smell lingered. Eww! So glad my boys don't need theirs done. **knock on wood. lol.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, the smell does linger, because it gets in the hair around the butt. You basically need to wash the whole area to rid the smell.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION]

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I am so glad Banks is on the road to recovery, sucks about the infections but that is much more manageble. Wow, I can't believe Banks stunk that bad after expression!?!? Our old vet and now even our new vet always washed Vegas's behind and sprayed a special deoderant on his butt. I always take an old towel so he can sit on it on the ride home. Maybe next time take your own cleaner and take Banks to the bathroom and wash the behind before you leave the vets!!!!!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am so glad Banks is on the road to recovery, sucks about the infections but that is much more manageble. Wow, I can't believe Banks stunk that bad after expression!?!? Our old vet and now even our new vet always washed Vegas's behind and sprayed a special deoderant on his butt. I always take an old towel so he can sit on it on the ride home. Maybe next time take your own cleaner and take Banks to the bathroom and wash the behind before you leave the vets!!!!!

I was not expecting the anals to be expressed...something I mentioned to him led him to think they needed it done. And, Dr. Rossi did spray and clean her butt before we left; however Banks HATES the car which I think added to her gas release.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im glad banks is better well cept for the infections. whew i get my dogs done but they dont stink that bad afterward. geez i feel lucky now. so hope the infections clear up quickly.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, our little girl's tail is all cleared up! :happydance: The tresederm did the job and Dr. Rossi was right in not needing any antibiotic --- her ear is better, not red still bright pink and she stopped scratching. Couple more days and she should be back to 100%

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is amazing how quickly they can heal up from things! Glad sweet Banks is all better now!

Most Reactions