Sammy cherry eye came right back

nybadboy11

Aug 10, 2011
I wrote the forum yesterday about my bully sammy having cherry eye and somebody sent me a video on how to put it back in and it worked but i had to do it again today so it looks like he will need surgery I'm really afraid for him is it a big deal and did anyone have the same experience they want to share with me please?:nope:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have not had experience with cherry eye, but I know there are others here that have. Hold tight - they will be along shortly

L

Lucy-licious

Don't panic yet :hug: Lucy's eye popped a few times within a week then nothing for a month or so then popped again once and touch wood never again since she is now almost 18 months old and hasnt needed sugery. Buy some lubricating eyedrops [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] can help you with which type to get and use them for a few days. Obviously if it persists or gets to a point where it is out more than in then you will have to visit the vet. If her eye looks sore atall though or appears to be bothering her then get off to the vets anyways as third eyelid infections can look a little like a cherryeye :)

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Macy is still a pup and i have had to massage hers back in 4 times already. From the research i have done and by talking to the vet i have learned that just because its happening when she is a pup doesn't necessarily mean she will have to have surgery. Apparently, their muscles are weaker when they are pups which is a cause. But i am not an expert on this subject. Just going through the same thing.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Unfortunately, HRH's problem is dry eye not cherry eye so Im not sure the eye drops that work for us will be of much assistance here. The OTC eye drops we use as a general aid is Blink lubricating eye drops. Its a product for people but others have used it as well. We use Optimmune eye gel from our Vet to enhance the tear production in her eyes. Otherwise she would possibly need enthropian surgery. I'm afraid that the two conditions don't really relate enough to advice on wether these meds would do you any good. Sorry.

L

Lucy-licious

Unfortunately, HRH's problem is dry eye not cherry eye so Im not sure the eye drops that work for us will be of much assistance here. The OTC eye drops we use as a general aid is Blink lubricating eye drops. Its a product for people but others have used it as well. We use Optimmune eye gel from our Vet to enhance the tear production in her eyes. Otherwise she would possibly need enthropian surgery. I'm afraid that the two conditions don't really relate enough to advice on wether these meds would do you any good. Sorry.

My vet advised me to get eyedrops for Lucy because the popping can make their eyes sore and dry as the tears run out of the eye because the ducts are near the cherry. I know which ones I got but I'm away over here and everything is so different :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
My vet advised me to get eyedrops for Lucy because the popping can make their eyes sore and dry as the tears run out of the eye because the ducts are near the cherry. I know which ones I got but I'm away over here and everything is so different :)

Thank you for that.... I see now why you mentioned me about the drops. Well then, maybe it would be at least worth a try.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Moe's started out as popping out occasionally, then ended up just staying out, so he did need surgery. The vet did try ointment at first in case it was just blocked and swollen, but that didn't work for us. I have heard of two surgery procedures, although our vet would only do the 2nd one listed;

1 Removing the gland... this prevents you having to worry about it coming back, but it is not recommended because it is responsible for over 30% of tear production.

2 Making a pocket to tuck it back in... my vet claimed over 80% success rate for first try, and so far, no problems. The procedure is repeatable if necessary. While he had the cherry eye he did have a reduction of tear production, but after the surgery it was producing normally withing a few weeks.

I do notice a bit more pink under his eye with the surgery, but I don't think this is always the case... I would rather have this though than to deal with dry eye.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My dog Wilson had cherry eye surgery but they did not remove it. It was tacked down. That was 3 years ago. It has never surfaced but he does have irritation in that eye on and off and I always still have to use a special eye ointment prescribed by the vet. Cyclosporine Opthalmic ointment. I wipe his face wrinkles every morning and make sure to keep his eyes free of goopies that build up in the corners. He also had an eye ulcer in that same eye so he had to have Entropian surgery to keep the lashes from irritating the surface of the eyes. There is no residual problems from that procedure. Good luck and if Sammy has to have surgery, make sure the vet is experienced in it. I made the mistake of having Wilsons little sister (passed) done by my local vet and he unfortunately didn't do a good job. Had to have it redone by an experienced bulldog vet.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Miila came to us with a cherry eye that came and went throughout the day. She hadnt been spayed yet so I knew we would just have the surgery when she was spayed. So far the tacking has held but she plays sooo rough I worry it will pop back out one of these days. lol hoping not of course! Dont think I would want another separate surgery now. Unless we had to.

sitartzm

May 25, 2011
Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Brewer
Brewers has popped in and out throughout his lifetime. (hes 7 months) Normally I rub it back in and it works just fine for quite some time. Just yesterday tho it happened and it would not rub back in, so i was going to wait two days and take hime to the vet. Well he woke up this morning and it was gone. But I wouldn't be too concerned unless it is out more than it is in. But you can always consult with your vet if you are truly concerned with it.

Members online

No members online now.