bulldogs and joint medicine

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i want to share my story so others may benefit from it. Sarah has been on joint meds for some time now because of her torn acl that was left. she has always walked with us some before and even played with a ball sometimes. well about 3 months or maybe less ago i started giving her salmon oil. she started doing even better it seemed. im like ok great but its kinda expensive for the both. i thought well i will try to not give her the joint meds and see if she does well just on salmon oil. well she seemed ok and such but she got to where she did not want to walk with us or play anymore. i thought it was just because it was summer and hot but no still even with the cool she does not want to. i had begun to think maybe ok when they get older thats it there done. well recently she has jumped off the bed like twice in 2 months before i could go in and get her. the first time it was like 3 weeks n several aspirin later she got better. this last time 3 weeks and some aspirin and she did not seem like she was getting better. i got to thinking. hm she has jumped off the bed a few times before and never had a problem. so 3 days ago i put sarah back on her cosequin ds joint meds and today she is walking with me and the boys. no limp in front leg and she is outside walking. i cannot believe it. so for anyone who has a bully limping and does not get better or just has an older dog who doesnt seem active. i highly recommend trying joint meds and salmon oil. it has done wonders for my sarah. one bully comes to mind though and i hope she doesnt mind. i wonder if tyson would benefit from some joint meds and salmon oil. [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] maybe this would help tyson to.

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] sarah gets grizzly salmon oil liquid sprayed on her food but really you can use people salmon oil. some just give the capsules whole to their dogs some put the liquid on the food. i just find it easier to pump it on her food.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think this is excellent information. I know from experience,a change to colder weather,definitely causes a lot of critters pain that seems to just come out of nowhere! I think it's a great preventative in especially larger dogs! Thanks for this info! :clap:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Im gonna try it on my Ol man too...
He just turned 90 and he isnt what he used to be......
Maybe he'll go back to square dancing again.....

L

Lucy-licious

Does anybody use Gucosamine? I hear that is good for joints too and after a quick search today I am thinking about getting some for Lucy.
I already use Salmon oil but am thinking this might be a good choice in addition to that and would appreciate any feedback anybody has about it.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@lucy-licious

Yes Glucosamine and Chondroitin are great supplements for your joints.
(people and doggies)

I used to use a product called Joint Fuel and after about 2 weeks taking it, my own knee pains (due to hard exercise, not age..! cough cough) vanished. !

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
At Maggie's last vet check it was discovered that her knee joints in the back legs are "loose" so the vet recommended that we start to give her "Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM". She was already on the Grizzly Salmon Oil and we'd seen a huge difference in that!!

She has never limped or shown any pain in her back legs so it's difficult for me to say if this is working or not, as it is supposed to be precautionary because of what will surely happen in the future. However, the Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM seems to get a lot of good reviews from Amazon users, but also on here when I posted a thread about it. Actually here's a link to that thread in case anybody wants to read it.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldogs-health/9288-nutramax-dasuquin-msm.html

[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] I wonder if you could order this from Amazon and have it shipped to UK or if there is a supplier of it over there??

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION] thats what im talking about here. cosequin ds is glucosamine and chondroitin. its a doggie version of the people joint medicine. its made a world of difference for sarah and so did the salmon oil.

BrunosMum

Dec 10, 2011
Canada
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno, Mya
I have been reading up about glucosamine and salmon oil. Bruno is 18 months old, is it too early to start giving him both?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
BabyGirl was diagnosed with arthritis a while back. Vet said I could give her Glucosamine and to use the people kind as it was cheaper. Instead I decided to buy a dog product called GlycoFlex III which contains Glucosamine and MSM. She no longer limps and can walk normally now.

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3597]bruno[/MENTION]smom you can give it whenever you want. well i probably wouldnt give it to puppies but anytime after one year old i would say is good.
[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] yes the msm is an anti inflammatory if i remember right. you can get joint med with all 3 things in it to. i have given sarah one with glucosamine, chondroitin, and msm.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We went to ok this last weekend and only gone for 24 hrs. We had a friend of ours come in and let the boys out. I texted him several times through out the day askin if everything was ok and he said yes great all times. We got home about 530 go into see the boys and lex couldn't walk at!!! He wouldnt put any type of pressure on it and I had to carry his hefty bitt outside to potty, and Jeff carried him in to the couch, he was hurting so bad that he was shaking! So I texted our friend and asked he he noticed him limping at all, he said no but wasnt paying attention, sorry. I said u would have noticed it, it's not it fault just checking that he might have slipped or landed wrong. He was in our bedroom and he couldnt get up on anything. Mon he was able to put some pressure on his leg and u could tell he felt better. Tues he was wanting to run around like a kid, but was still stiff.

He will be 2 in feb and has never had a problem w his back legs. He hardly ever jumps off things, just slides lol.

Do u think he's just stiff and needs some glucosamine? What do y'all think would help?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.