My Bulldog is in pain.

bippy21

Dec 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
Hello everyone!

I looked at similar posts, but none really seemed to describe what is wrong with my dog, I hope that someone can give advice or let me know what i could possibly do, or I just hope someone does know what is wrong.

I have a 2yr old English Bulldog. When she woke up this morning she was fine, her normal self. I took her outside to do her normal routine. We came back inside, and she was fine after that, all perky and lovable. Well, i went and sat in the living room and she got on my bed, which isnt high at all off of the ground [ it's not on a frame ]. About 30 min of me sitting in the living room and her sleeping n the bed, she moved.. and started yelping really loud, almost like how a puppy does. I turned to look at her and she wasnt laying down anymore, she was sitting up. She came in the living room got on the couch and slept a lil more [ her sleeping isnt unusual, she does it often ] She got off the couch and got on the floor and I asked her if she needed to go outside. She got up and i noticed her "limping" favoring her back legs, the way to describe her walking is, it was almost like she was tucking her but in a lil bit to... i guess ease some pain. Took her outside, she didnt go down the stairs like she normal does, she went a lil bit slower. She walked around outside fine, she didn't seem to be limping at all. We got back inside and i tried to get her to get in the bed, and she was acting like she was second guessing herself whether or not she could do it, so i picked her up and put her on the bed, she layed down. Awhile later she went to movie and she yelped again but not nearly as loud as the first time. I fed her, she stood up to eat and when she walked she was limping again.. favoring her back legs. When shes sleeping she grunts when she moves to switch positions [she's always done that] but now, she still sort of grunts, but it;s more of like a whinning grunt. She lets me massage both of her back legs and hips, knees and all. I checked her paws to make sure there was nothing wrong with them, [theres not anything wrong with all four paws]. It's very confusing to me, because all of this was out of the blue today and has been going on for about 4hrs now. Im not sure how long it is going to last If anyone knows whats going on, what i could do to helpease her pain or have any advice, please let me know. Im really worried, and anything will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Have a wonderful day

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
it almost sounds as if she might have a muscle cramp. Since she is okay outside and it happens when she lays down, it must be a positioning thing. I would very gently massage her hind area, her legs, hips etc....see if she is in pain from any of that. I would wait and see how she does the rest of the day. You might want to call your vet and see about getting a ck as soon as you can if this continues. Also check her pads and inbetween for any splinters or stuff in there that can hurt at different times.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Poor sweetie :( i would limit her activity and not allow her to climb up on your bed or use stairs. I would then get an appt with a vet if it continues. She may have pulled a muscle, twisted or tore something. hope she gets better soon, keep us posted!

OP
bippy21

bippy21

Dec 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
Thank Ya'll So Much for all the advice that has been given, The only problem with the stairs is I live In an upstairs apartment, so she has to use them to go to the bathroom. I hope it is just a muscle cramp or a pulled one, and it's nothing serious. I will keep y'all posted to let ya'll know if its subsided or what have you. Thank you for the concern and advice once again.

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
I hope it is nothing serious... you came to the right place... the people on here are great and very very helpful :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great advice above and also check her tummy, rub on it to see if this causes her any pain. Has she gone poop today and was it normal?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=3879]bippy21[/MENTION]... :welcome: to EBN.... We'd love to have you post an intro with pix of LouLou if you have any. I have no advice to add as you've already heard from two of the very best bully people. Glad you joined and feel free to join right in. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I had this happen to a rottie. She had a nerve problem in her back and tailbone. Dogs nerves are fed thru a small opening near the top of their hind end. The nerves can get twisted and pinched. Our a rottie had other long term back problems. I would go to the vet..they can prescribe muscle relaxants to try and relax the swelling around these nerves and nerve endings. I can tell you..the stairs will be a problem. We had to totally limit our rotties access to stairs or even uphill walks. Good luck..I know how hard it is to have your sweet baby be in such pain they cry out. The vet will probably want to do X-rays and maybe a MRI. Acupuncture also helped our girl in combination with pain meds.

OP
bippy21

bippy21

Dec 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
Oh okay, thank you .. I'm trying to let her sleep and be lazy incase it's a pinched nerve or pulled muscle. So that way she doesn't overwork anything, if pulled. But i will most deffinately check out her tummy. No she hasn't pooped today, she pooped last, late last night and it was normal. [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]; I have 3 pictures posted on my profile of her in the album.I'm not exactly sure what an intro with a pic is, But I'm not sure how to set a picture to as my profile picture. I just joined the site today, so im still unsure how to do things around here.
I thank yall for your time in reading my post

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
If you go to tutorials..there will be instructions that might help you with your profile and an avatar picture. The Avatar is what shows up when you post! You will love it here. Lots of friendly people and with all kinds of bully experience. I think if your Loulou was fine and then started yelping..she probably has a pulled or pinched muscle or nerve. Good for you for seeking help. She's a lucky Bully!

OP
bippy21

bippy21

Dec 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
oh okay, thank you very much, I'm going to try to do that:) LouLou is so spoiled.. but i like to say, very much loved

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Something like this happened to me and my bulldog Orion. She was sleeping just fine. She got up and started limping. Not using her leg at all. She was like that for several hours so I freaked and took her to the ER. They sedated her and took xrays. Found nothing (they did find an old injury..but nothing that would cause the pain she was feeling at that time) So, I brought her home and put her in her kennel. She was so drugged...she didn't complain. The next morning she woke up, stretched...and started walking just fine.

Here is the thread I started a year ago.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/general-bulldog-talk/1132-spent-last-night-er.html

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i know im late to this but all i can add is i give sarah one baby aspirin when she is in pain. seems to help her but i would still go to the vet if it keeps up just to be sure its ok. welcome to the forum by the way.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=3879]bippy21[/MENTION] I almost forgot, welcome to the site and so happy to have you here, hope your little LouLou is better in the morning.

OP
bippy21

bippy21

Dec 10, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
Hey everyone! Thanks for the concern.
She seems to be doing fine right now, i left to go to the store and i came back about 1/ 1/2hrs and she was like -"MOMMA!!!! and started jumping and running and bouncing and wagging her lil nub! i took her outside and she ran down the stairs and all through the apartment complex dog area...and ran back up the stairs and jumped on the bed and ran in circles around and now shes sound asleep; snorring like a man. So sh'es back to her normal self. Thank god! I hope she's done; doing whatever she was. But now shes back to her normal self! YAY!!!
I hope everyone has a good rest of their night. Tnx so much!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online