anal glands?

Roger

Aug 5, 2011
Sometimes my bulldog Bean "scoots" with her butt on the ground when outside. She is pooping and eating normally. I had a Lhasa Apso prior to my bulldog and this would be indicative of him needing his anal glands expressed. Do bulldogs have the same issues, ie do they need periodic anal gland expression as well, or is it something more related to itching, etc. Again, she is pooping normally.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, that's probably it, anal glands, or tail pocket infected.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Could very well be that her anal glands need expressed.

You would not believe how many dogs actually need that done. I'm a grooming apprentice and we see dogs all the time that need their anal glands expressed.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
It could be anal glands or it could be like one of mine does after he poops...once in a while he feels a little piece still there ...might be tiny but he proceeds to "wipe" his butt. Its rather amusing

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]. Vegas has to have his anal glands done about every 6 weeks, NO!!! I do not do them, he has to have his internally expressed so he actually gets a finger up there to massage the glands so they will release. Our vet does it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
@JeannieCO . Vegas has to have his anal glands done about every 6 weeks, NO!!! I do not do them, he has to have his internally expressed so he actually gets a finger up there to massage the glands so they will release. Our vet does it.
It's pretty gross no doubt. I saw a youtube video of the vets doing them and it doesn't look that hard, gross yes, but not hard. I was thinking of doing Jack's?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] our vet also does the internal one and i have seen her do it many times and have bought gloves and tried to do sarah and one of my bostons needs it. i was not able to do it myself but that does not mean you wont be able to. i gave up and just take them now. would save 30 dollars a month if i could do it myself.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks ladies! I was just curious if anyone did it. Wilson's fine, it's Jack that has had that 'smell' like the anal gland is leaking. I don't know how else to say it. :ashamed: It's the most disgusting smell I've ever smelt.

FatBulldogz

Dec 4, 2011
Richmond, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
UGA and Bella
My wife does the dirty work for our dogs. I hold the dog and she expresses the glands. There are videos & instructions out there and once you do it you will know what you are feeling for. Just watch out because they can shoot for distance!

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Our groomer checks Lola, but so far she hasn't needed it done. She scoots her butt if she's overdue for a bath.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Bit late here but yes .. Anal glands but could also easily be the tail pocket too. Do you clean and dry that regularly?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.